WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Helbors 1.JPG Helbros 2.JPG

Wearing My 1960's Helbros today but it's killing me, it's not running very well. And, it's all my fault!!!:-(

A few weeks ago I was in a rush to get the kids to our neighborhood pool, we only had about an hour or so to swim before it closed for the day.

Well, guess what I forgot to take off? And I ALWAYS take off my watch when I go swimmingo|

Next day, took it to my watch guy, he took the back and crystal off, dried it best he could and oiled what he could without taking it completely apart.

It started right back up. My watch guy said, "if this doesn't do it bring it back and he'll do a complete service on it for $90.00".

Well it ran great for about two weeks until a couple days ago, and now it keeps stopping. :-(

I paid practically nothing for this watch, it's one of my favorites, it was pretty beat up to start with, and now the water took some of the lettering off the face.

I don't know if should get it fixed or just find another cheap one. :-s

As my 9 year old said... "if you like it daddy get it fixed"

What would you do? Fix it or find an other? :think:

I Always appreciate everyones opinions.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
I agree with your 9 year old !!!! If it wasn't that expensive originally, and you like it, it's worth it !!! My two pence from London-Town ! Cheers, Scott

PS - not only that, then you have this great story to tell while with another watch - no pool story/history !!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think you would be better searching for another one and keep this as a spares. It might take some time but if there is no sentimental value might than is nothing holding you back. You will probably end up spending less $$$.
I like the dial also. Can I ask what movement holds inside?

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
"oiled what I could" = most probable problem... over oiling causes watches to stop or run erratic.

If the watch is a friend, have it fixed.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think you would be better searching for another one and keep this as a spares. It might take some time but if there is no sentimental value might than is nothing holding you back. You will probably end up spending less $$$.
I like the dial also. Can I ask what movement holds inside?
Helbros mvt.JPG
Not sure, perhaps "Lorsa" Movement??

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
If you are upset, and you are - then get it repaired and be happy.

Anyway, I doubt you can buy another for $90, but if you can, do that.

A

Reactions: howards4th

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was really on the fence with this one, I believe the consensus is to get it fixed.

I really liked what WUS member "Eeeb" said, "if the watch is a friend get it fixed"
And, I really appreciate what everyone else said as well, it really helped.

I had plans to get my Grandfather's Elgin serviced, so once that's done and I replenish my watch funds I'll send in the Helbros.
Thanks for all your input everyone.
-Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
and in the interim, keep your search option open on Ebay.
If one pops up for less than $90 - get it.
adam

Reactions: howards4th

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Find a watch with same movement, same or similar dial, and put them in your case.
The "my great-grandfather's axe" principle.

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
Wow I always wonder about the high service costs overseas:think:
My watchmaker wondered about the same thing... so he moved from Eastern Europe to the US :-d

Reactions: saxoo

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
and in the interim, keep your search option open on Ebay.
If one pops up for less than $90 - get it.
adam
I will indeed. I'm always on the lookout. I do have another Helbros in the shop, so that one will keep me going. And while my Grandfathers Elgin is being serviced that will give me time to look around before I put this one in.
Thanks again for your help!
Chris

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Is it reasonable to spend $ 90 on a watch that cheap? No.
Should I do it anyway?
Sure! Most watches in my collection made it here at (much) less than the cost for a decent service - should that mean I shouldn't have them serviced at all?

Answer that yourself ;-)

Best
Tomcat

Regards,
Tomcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
It's all about if one is emotional about things :)
If another working piece costs less than $90 I would just buy it and sell current one for spares

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
... and then? Shouldn't the 'working piece' be serviced, too? What's the bargain then?

Regards
Tomcat

1 - 20 of 26 Posts