WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got myself this ww2 era military watch and it has fixed lugs. I wanted to know if its possible to "break" the lugs and replace them with normal removable lugs, so I can use 2 piece nato strap on it instead of a normal nato strap which I don't like.
Can it be done if I use the right tools or is it too risky? or is it too dangerous and should only be performed by an expert (I cant take it to an expert because I'm short on money at the moment so It's not really an option)

I attached some pictures of the watch here:

IMG-20190630-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20190630-WA0009.jpg
View attachment 14273695
IMG-20190630-WA0007.jpg

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
CISCO...Hello!

I reckon Dan S. makes a very good point, and I rather agree with him...consider leaving it as it is.

I have several old watches that I've thought of 'changing', but I resist the urge: put them away for a while / focus on another watch / go back to the piece I considered 'changing ' / discovered myself happy that I did not alter it.

Then again: you're the Keeper here, and it's your decision...proceed thoughtfully!

Michael.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you and I appreciate your responds. Can you help me decide on a strap? or perhaps recommend me one? I've been looking online but couldn't find anything to my liking yet. I am not a fan of nato straps (the kind that wraps your wrist and then you have a lot of strap spare) but I am looking for a military style strap. I like 2 piece canvas straps but maybe there's a strap that is a combination of the two?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
The original strap would have been a canvas pull through strap. It is similar to this type

https://www.esslinger.com/striped-18mm-nylon-watch-strap-10-1-4-inch-length/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu-HoBRD5ARIsAPIPence6ghb0MhODtae-E0amsrBLPSbEX5Mtye2B8AY-9cODZUw_ED-LKYaAtrIEALw_wcB

Just a simple rugged comfortable fitting strap. Even up until the 1980's some of the watches the US military issued came on these type of straps

There is also the open lug type leather strap which attaches with a bendable tab.

It would be a shame to alter this watch

Plus the watch looks to be plated so depending upon your sweat ph, the case could start getting corroded/eaten away with your sweat. It is better to have something between your wrist and the watch case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about a simple one-piece canvas strap without the extra NATO flap.

View attachment 14274389
Wow! this strap is beautiful and exactly my type. I looked it up online but it seems that this strap fits only for 20mm lugs. my watch lugs are between 16-18mm. If you can help me find another strap with the same style i'll be very grateful.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Wow! this strap is beautiful and exactly my type. I looked it up online but it seems that this strap fits only for 20mm lugs. my watch lugs are between 16-18mm. If you can help me find another strap with the same style i'll be very grateful.
Here is one: https://www.mwc-usa.com/products/retro-pattern-18mm-canvas-military-watch-strap-in-desert-sand

Search for canvas one-piece straps, etc. These are popular for military watches, and most of them take 16-18mm straps, so I'm sure they're out there. You can also buy a canvas NATO strap and just cut off the extra flap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is one: https://www.mwc-usa.com/products/retro-pattern-18mm-canvas-military-watch-strap-in-desert-sand

Search for canvas one-piece straps, etc. These are popular for military watches, and most of them take 16-18mm straps, so I'm sure they're out there. You can also buy a canvas NATO strap and just cut off the extra flap.
what do you think that will look better on the watch? the one you sent which is khaki or this one: https://www.mwc-usa.com/collections/military-watch-straps-full-range/products/wwii-pattern-18mm-canvas-military-watch-strap

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
I can highly recommend Erikas watch straps - probably some of the most comfortable out there. She certainly does 18mm and if you contact her may do 16mm although the 18mm may be suitable as they have stretch to them:-
https://erikasoriginals.com
I have several of those straps and they are not suitable for fixed lug watches unless you are prepared to do some alterations to the strap, including sewing.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Look what I've found fixed on a very old "trench" wristwatch :

SAM_1828.JPG

I'm quite sure that they are as old as the watch. Funny the size is for a really smal wrist. The leather was as hard wood but they are made very simple. No seams or embellishments. It is cut leather with studs. I bought myself some leather now and a punch. All I have to do is find someone who can work with leather. It is to learn how it goes with the rivets and the thinning of the leather on the dock. I think then you can easily make "original like". It was then not fashion just function. May be your watch is a bid younger but with the militarystyle I thing, this could match.

Cheers Silke

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
***UPDATE***

Thank you everyone for your suggestions I will not attempt to modify my watch in any way thanks to you. I have ordered a strap for my watch. It's an american WW2 strap that never been used. I think it will match my watch very well.

Here's a picture of the strap:
s-l1600ddd.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Glad you decided not to modify it.

I did such a modification (at least my watch guy did) about 20 years back and regretted it.

My watch guy hated doing the work also, said it was difficult.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts