WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have this problem with a GWG-1000-1A's LCD.
Most digits do fine but when a certain digit on the far right gets activated the whole LCD goes dim.
Has anybody ever seen something like this on this watch or another?

I've already tried changing the CTL1616 and AC resetting it a few times. If there's no fix I'll try to look for a replacement movement.

Here is a video of the problem: https://youtu.be/qxax9i-Tz34
Sorry it looks a bit dusty because I was using powdered latex gloves just before filming.

Thank you for your time

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Redmi Note 5 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
never seen this, looks broken, if ac reset and new battery in.
i guess casio will reply with "we dont know. send it in, we will take a look". end will be: new module.

i would take a look at the module, looking for water damage or other issues. is the battery on "H" ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The problem has been fixed. I have opened the watch and the module and it turned out the zebra strip which connects to the LCD was a little bent at one end, exactly at the place where the screen was malfunctioning. So I turned the strip upside down it now it works lol 😅🤣 So while I was at it I decided to turn to negative LCD to positive which looks awesome now! I couldn't have fixed this without the hero gshock highfashion on youtube who made a disassembly video of a GWN-Q1000 which has a similar module.

Only problem now is that I have lost 2 tiny special springs which connect to the light.. so now the light is not working.. guess I have to contact Casio hoping they will sell them to me..
IMG_20200710_185345.jpg

·
Registered
645 Posts
Wow! This is a big feat being able to take apart everything and change over the negative LCD into a positive display on the GWG1000 Mudmaster with the many internal parts that this particular watch has inside of it.

The great John Holmes wears a digital watch and Ron Jeremy wears Crocs.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Here the gshockhighfashion's video of GWG-1000 disassembling:
The problem has been fixed. I have opened the watch and the module and it turned out the zebra strip which connects to the LCD was a little bent at one end, exactly at the place where the screen was malfunctioning. So I turned the strip upside down it now it works lol 😅🤣 So while I was at it I decided to turn to negative LCD to positive which looks awesome now! I couldn't have fixed this without the hero gshock highfashion on youtube who made a disassembly video of a GWN-Q1000 which has a similar module.

Only problem now is that I have lost 2 tiny special springs which connect to the light.. so now the light is not working.. guess I have to contact Casio hoping they will sell them to me.. View attachment 15342274 View attachment 15342273

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yes, I happened to run across that video on YouTube. He really stripped and tore apart that $1,000 dollar GWG1000DC-1A5 Desert Camo Mudmaster to the core. That watch will never be the same after he puts it together again with the scratches that he put on it when taking off the exterior bezel and the hands on the dial, the LCD display and all the other components inside the watch. I would never tear apart a watch like that unless I knew what I was doing and I unless I had the appropriate tools. He used 2 screwdrivers to pry off the hands on the dial and he also scratched the dial on the watch.

The great John Holmes wears a digital watch and Ron Jeremy wears Crocs.

Reactions: Niko_Bellic

·
Registered
645 Posts

Only problem now is that I have lost 2 tiny special springs which connect to the light.. so now the light is not working.. guess I have to contact Casio hoping they will sell them to me.. View attachment 15342274 View attachment 15342273
Were you able to get the springs for the light that you lost? If yes, where did you get them? What’s the status on the light? Were you able to fix it?

Reactions: Niko_Bellic

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Were you able to get the springs for the light that you lost? If yes, where did you get them? What’s the status on the light? Were you able to fix it?
Yeah the nice people from casio support centre "Camtech" in the Netherlands helped me to some springs. They are back in place and now and the light works again :-D damn those springs are tiny as hell

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Yeah the nice people from casio support centre "Camtech" in the Netherlands helped me to some springs. They are back in place and now and the light works again :-D damn those springs are tiny as hell

Watch looks great, glad it all worked out in the end ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts

Which part did you turn over to get black letters and white background?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you remove pointer hands to reach lcd display?
Fortunately you dont have to remove any hands to reach the LCD.
To reach the LCD you can unclip the metal backside part of the module. Then there are about 4 or 5 tiny screws which holds the PCB. Once the PCB is removed the LCD can be reached from behind (like in the second picture of my post).
I'll try to post some pics when I get home this evening.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts