WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, I bought a Chinese Fiyta Chronograph in Shanghai. Fiyta supplied the watch that their Tyconaut (Astronaut) wore during the first Chinese manned flight in space.
Here's my review of this watch:

Fiyta Chrono Review.

Recently I received an e-mail from someone with a Chinese name, that found my website while browsing for watches. He translated some information from the stricktly Chinese language website of Fiyta.
I have no way of verifying this information, so I'll simply give you exactly what he wrote to me:

I ran across your webpage doing some random browsing on watches.
The Chinese characters on the box say (literal translation):
China (2 char) Aerospace (2 char) First (2 char) Manned (2 char) Spaceflight (2 char) Success (2 char) Memorial (2 char)
Anyhow here's the manufacture link to the watch, it's not limited edition: http://www.fiyta.com.cn/online/shop_view.asp?id=50
Webpage translated:
"MSRP: 2680 RMB
On Sale: 2680 RMB
Commemorative edition for astronaut Yang Li Wei. Reduced Size Edition, Sapphire surface, Stainless Steel Watch, Special Pattern Watch Strap (include extra strap), Multifunction core, 30 meter (water proof I
guess???)
Exterior and function similar to astronaut's watch. Multifunction and stylish in distinct body, operates in all weather condition (???). Complete your dream of owning a "universe" time keeper.
The RMB/USD exchange rate is around 8 (upwards of 10). Anyhow for paying only 700 or around $100, I think it was a good deal. My guess is they made 10 limited edition watches for the astronauts. The reason it's Japanese quartz, is because it's a reduced size replica intended to look alike and have similar function rather than to be a luxury item. It you look at the luxury watches produced by Fiyta they cost several thousand USD. I think they were banking on the popularity of the space flight and tried to sell a mass produced model that the average Chinese citizen can afford.

I hope this information was useful. Sorry to disappoint you since this isn't a replica of the real watch, but nonetheless I think it's an extremely interesting time piece for your collection.

Thanks,

.......(
removed for privacy reasons, Ron)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Ron...You are worse than J.K. Rowling...

Love your reviews. When does the next chapter about the B-1 come out? I need to know how it ends. Does the mighty B-1 prevail in the battle against the evil X-33?

Thanks!

I'm still thinking over the next chapter. It will cover the ergonomics or "interactions among humans and other elements of a system" (wikipedia definition).
Let me just say for the time being that these 2 watches have a somewhat different approach, but there is something to be said for both.
As soon as I can find the time, I'll write it.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Hi Ron, like your review of that watch! You made a bargain in Shanghai, in Hong Kong and Macau they try to sell it without any discount at the listed 2,680.- (in HK$, that's about US$ 344.-) - because it's a "limited edition". Same applies to the other FIYTA watch I will mention further below.

The Chinese text on the mentioned FIYTA webpage http://www.fiyta.com.cn/online/shop_view.asp?id=50 translated into readable and watch related English below, remarks in [], maybe Soviet (the mod from the Chinese watches forum) can do a better translation than me:

Left paragraph reads: 此为杨利伟载人航天工作中所佩戴的神舟表缩小版 蓝宝石表镜 不锈钢表壳 特殊布纹表带(附送一条皮表带) 多功能机芯 30米 - This is exactly the watch Yang Liwei carried, commemorative reduced size limited edition, sapphire crystal, stainless steel case, special fabric strap, (included is an additional leather strap), multifunction movement, 30 meters [WR]

Right paragraph reads: 外观与功能与载人航天工作用表及其相似,多功能和时尚感集于一身,全天侯精密运作,让您一颗胸怀宇宙的心,时时放飞自己的终极梦想! - Appearance and function and wearing very much like the Taikonaut's watch, multifunction and vougue touch make it a collectible item, for every day or special events, let your heart run cosmic, ever and ever expand your ultimate dream.

----

FIYTA now has another, more expensive watch out (MSRP is RMB or HK$ 6980 = US$ 895), link on FIYTA's webpage: http://www.fiyta.com.cn/online_en/shop_view.asp?id=92
This watch is a polished titanium chrono, with a bold red "Shenzhou" logo. Very light due to the titanium case, polished finish is not my cup of tea, chrono pushers feel a little "soft". The Chinese text on the page reads as follows, annotations again in []:

Left paragraph: G766.WBW蓝宝石表镜 钛合金表壳钛合金实心表带进口石英机芯50米 航天表专用底盖 - G766.WBW Sapphire crystal, titanium case, solid titanium bracelet, imported quartz movement, 50 meters [WR], spacewatch use caseback [crude translation]

Right paragraph: 豪翔表G766——“神舟六号”太空工作用表解密发行版。
The special G766 "Shenzhou 6" spacewatch special edition.
[a "free "translation, but it gives the meaning]

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Re: Ron...You are worse than J.K. Rowling...

Love your reviews. When does the next chapter about the B-1 come out? I need to know how it ends. Does the mighty B-1 prevail in the battle against the evil X-33?

That one looks awesome on a strap - somehow I've only seen it on a bracelet so far b-)

·
Watchuseek Journalist
1,772 Posts
I will be visiting Malaysia and Hong Kong shortly.

Any suggestions where I can see and purchase this watch?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I will be visiting Malaysia and Hong Kong shortly.

Any suggestions where I can see and purchase this watch?

Cheers
The "City Chain" watch stores in Hong Kong carry FIYTA. In one of the "City Chain" outlets in Macau I handled the titanium chrono mentioned above. Be warned, they try to sell w/o any discount.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Re: I bet this guy would know more about that

Have you noticed that there's a link to an English Fiyta site through the link you provided?

http://www.fiyta.com.cn/online_en/s...ryType=Class&QueryField1=typeid&QueryString=4
Many Chinese websites provide a link like this. But when you click on it, you only get an English homepage - most links from there to any watch details still remain Chinese. FIYTA is no exception. The Chinese manufacturers still have a lot of work to do for their international presentations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts