WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This proposal was received from a Swiss manufacturer, and was unsolicited. What do you think? Specs are as follows:

42mm
Sapphire
REAL SWISS 2893-2 GMT movement
Can be made with this dial, or the LM-1/2 dial
Swiss Made, and 50 can be delivered in January
You know the rest
$399

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hi Mitch,
I don't think the design brings anything new to the table. The design is completely at odds with the other watches in your line. To me it looks to much like a Steinhart watch, which have never been my cup of tea.

I do believe a GMT and a chronograph should be part of the Ocean7 line. Have you considered using a SW500 instead of 7750 for the chrono?:think:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It looks like another variation of a dive watch that 20+ company's make.

I would wear it. It's not a a bad looking watch for the price, but it has been done (overdone) before.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mitch,
I don't think the design brings anything new to the table. The design is completely at odds with the other watches in your line. To me it looks to much like a Steinhart watch, which have never been my cup of tea.

I do believe a GMT and a chronograph should be part of the Ocean7 line. Have you considered using a SW500 instead of 7750 for the chrono?:think:
Hi Cannon,

I agree that it is nothing new, but in this case it's not supposed to be. I don't want to dismiss this as I did initially with the LM-3, only to find out that lots of people loved the watch with other brand names on the dial.

There will definitely be GMT and chrono ediitions of existing models coming next year, but the timing depends on sales and movement availability. Personally I'd like to see a LM-5 chrono and TT718 120 hour power reserve. I think these watches in ceramic, would be very unique.

Mitch

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like another variation of a dive watch that 20+ company's make.

I would wear it. It's not a a bad looking watch for the price, but it has been done (overdone) before.
Funny, that was my exact comment to the manufacturer, but he said it was a bread and butter watch that sells very well and at this price will introduce customers to the brand.

He makes it for several other companies. One thing to consider is that any 2893-2 based watch that sells for much less than this may very well use a fake 2893-2.

Mitch

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Mitch I like what you did to the hands.
Regards
robert
This proposal was received from a Swiss manufacturer, and was unsolicited. What do you think? Specs are as follows:

42mm
Sapphire
REAL SWISS 2893-2 GMT movement
Can be made with this dial, or the LM-1/2 dial
Swiss Made, and 50 can be delivered in January
You know the rest
$399

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Funny, that was my exact comment to the manufacturer, but he said it was a bread and butter watch that sells very well and at this price will introduce customers to the brand.

He makes it for several other companies. One thing to consider is that any 2893-2 based watch that sells for much less than this may very well use a fake 2893-2.

Mitch
How does he certify that the ebauche is from ETA and not a Chinese fake?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mitch I like what you did to the hands.
Regards
robert
Hi Robert,

I didn't do this, it was a proposal presented to me. Then I asked to see what it would look like with the LM-1/2 dial, and we'll have that drawing on Monday.

Mitch

S

·
0 Posts
You asked for it... ;-)

Seriously, dont do it Mitch. :-(
Would devalue your brand identity IMO.

/Stefan

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I don't want to dismiss this as I did initially with the LM-3, only to find out that lots of people loved the watch with other brand names on the dial.
In the the case of the LM-3, no one was/is making a sub $400 watch with that case. If you wanted a watch with that style case you had to step up to near $1,000. With the GMT clone, there are other's who use the same case at the same $400 price point. You also have others making similar GMT clones in the sub $150 that have been well received for what they cost. By throwing your hands on this model you would be just watering down your brand.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Hum I thought the picture Mitch showed us looked a lot like the Binnacle watches but with the 07 hands, still not into it , but someone will be.
Regards
Robert

What do you know....and I thought we had a unique design!

Mitch

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Hi Cannon,

I agree that it is nothing new, but in this case it's not supposed to be. I don't want to dismiss this as I did initially with the LM-3, only to find out that lots of people loved the watch with other brand names on the dial.

There will definitely be GMT and chrono ediitions of existing models coming next year, but the timing depends on sales and movement availability. Personally I'd like to see a LM-5 chrono and TT718 120 hour power reserve. I think these watches in ceramic, would be very unique.

Mitch
Mitch I get credit for turning you on to the technotime 120 hr. watches and hereby claim a 20$ discount!
Have your assistant in charge of making mental notes make a mental note of that please! :)

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mitch I get credit for turning you on to the technotime 120 hr. watches and hereby claim a 20$ discount!
Have your assistant in charge of making mental notes make a mental note of that please! :)
Personally I would have asked for more than $20, but that's fine with me! The LM-5 manufacturer has extensive experience with Technotime's quartz movements, but this will be the first time for their mechanicals. I'm not surprised because of the price, and I have to be sure the watch will sell at around $1500, more or less.

Mitch

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.