WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My suggestion is that someone else should volunteer and take up the issue with Laco once the watch presently under discussion is finalized and on the way.
I'd be happy to volunteer to get in touch with Laco and contact them regarding the blued hands retrofit once the specifications for the watch are established, and they are in the process of building it. I think a dedicated thread in this subforum is a great idea. That way, anybody who has an interest in getting blued hands can provide input. For now, though, I think its best to concentrate on the task at hand and finalize the design of the project. :)
I have started this thread already, but suggest that the project only start after 9 May when the Laco watch is finished. Reinman60 has volunteered to be the project coordinator.

The idea is that the special edition watch project can go ahead with stock black hands, and that the flame-blued hands (if they can be made available at all) would be purchased separately and retro-fitted by those watch owners who desire them.

Please keep in mind that the project may also be of interest to those already owning a regular 2824-based Laco Pilot.

EDIT: frank_be has takennow over the project from reinman60. :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Re: Project-in-waiting: Flame-blued hands (retrofit for Laco Pilot)

Thank you to Crusader and Reinmann60 for organizing this special side project.

I am wondering, whether Laco will get the blued hand from the same supplier as Stowa (Universo), which Joerg claimed one of the best hand manufacturer out there. If we want to have flame blued hand, then we should aim for the best :)

·
Registered
136 Posts

Hmm, definitely interested in that one for my existing Laco.

Thanks, Crusader ;-)

·
Registered
5,402 Posts

Is there any question about my status? :-!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You allready knew you could count me in, didn't you? ;-) :-d

·
Registered
668 Posts

I' m in too! :)

·
Registered
120 Posts

Me too. Count me in.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

Count me in too! Blue is beautiful!

·
Registered
114 Posts

I just saw this thread after being away from the Forum for several days.
I think Crusader's point is well taken, and that we shouldn't bother Laco with the details of this project until the specs for the watch have been completely finalized. That way, they can devote their energy to making all of the proposed design changes for the B-Uhr that are currently being discussed over in the Project thread.

There's no reason that we can't begin a discussion here, however, of what the specs for the blued hands should be, and any observations, ideas, suggestions, etc. would be welcome.

Also, anybody interested in getting in on this project should indicate their interest in this thread or in a PM to me. The feasibility and final price of this project I would think will depend on the number of sets of hands we eventually order from Laco.

Thanks...

John

·
Registered
114 Posts

I am wondering, whether Laco will get the blued hand from the same supplier as Stowa (Universo), which Joerg claimed one of the best hand manufacturer out there. If we want to have flame blued hand, then we should aim for the best :)
I agree with you completely on this and I hope everybody else involved in this project feels the same way. But everyone will have a say in this in this and in the end we'll go with the majority; I think that's only fair.

I do remember the thread where Joerg referenced Universo hands as being the best available, and I think we should pursue that option with Laco. Hopefully, it will be feasible from both in terms of both availability and cost.

I'm very enthusiastic about this project. I think that blued hands are not only beautiful, but will add a further dimension of historical authenticity to the watch which Laco will produce. I know that I don't have the same degree of expertise as many of the forum members, but I view this as a opportunity to learn and get input from all those who have lots of experience in this area. I'm sure the experience and judgment of the experts here will make this project a success, and that we'll all be satisfied with the results

·
Registered
668 Posts

I love this! :-d

2 questions:
A: I have a Seiko 007 that I retrofitted with custom hands I ordered from Hong Kong. I had a lokal watchmaker make the switch for me. This was no problem at all, and cost me 10 euros. So: does Laco have to make the switch for us, or is this a simple job you can do where you live? This is interesting because it is much less risky and cheaper having the hands sent via mail, that sending the watch back and forth.
B: IF we can do this without LACOs help, maybe we can contact Universo ourselves? (Need the specs. from Laco, though - diameters, fittings, so on). :think:

If Laco is to do the job, I'm inclined to let them keep the watch till the switch is done.

What do you all think? :)

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I am in the EU (no customs hassle), so sending the watch back to Laco for a retrofit of the hands is going to be my option. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts

I am on board.

As I see it, I will retrofit the blued hands after 2 years. This could be easily done by a qualified watchmaker near where I live, during servicing and oil change.

No need to send the watch all the way to LACO and no issue on voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts

I want the blued hands. I would probably have them installed here where I live.

Erik_H

·
Registered
580 Posts

I'm in.

I don't have a competent watchsmith locally, so I am with Frode on this: let Laco keep mine until the hands are completed and switched.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts

I'm in.

I don't have a competent watchsmith locally, so I am with Frode on this: let Laco keep mine until the hands are completed and switched.
I agree. I'm in no rush anyway.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts