WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
CPF is a nice place...like this forum :).

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Not fun for all, but fun for those there. I collect some, but others are like Sjors, and have many.

But I would never torture one.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I don't get it... uhm... flashlights are fun to collect??? And torture???:think:
They've become very advanced. My poor Maglites are primitive now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My poor Maglites are primitive now.
I still have a two "D" cell Maglite purchased in 1987. It's been used on numerous camping trips. It's been dropped down concrete steps, dropped numerous times on pavement, left out in the rain & snow and even dropped in standing water a few times.

Still works fine. I've replaced the bulb several times, the front lens is all scratched up but overall, the flashlight (and especially the switch) still works fine.

I guess you could say it's one of those purchases I've made in my life that I'm glad I made. It's nothing "fancy", just darned reliable...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've got a 3 'D' cell Maglite too, Steve. Those things are weapons. I see you can get replacement LED heads for them now - should up the burn time a lot. They're not cheap, though.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
This is what I mainly use:

It's a Surefire U2 Ultra. Selectable output levels, and it can use rechargable batteries.

I also have multiple Maglitets (small and large).

I consider them tools just like watches. But I like to collect them like watches too.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I carry an Arc-P AAA. Darned near indestructible. This one actually survived for a year in my front yard, when it got lost. It lived though a Northeast winter, lawn mowing, and tons of rain.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I actually joined that forum early this year when I was looking into getting a flashlight. A really knowledgeable, helpful bunch of folks. I wound up getting a Fenix P1d-ce...that thing is bright!

Ryan

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I've got a 3 'D' cell Maglite too, Steve. Those things are weapons. I see you can get replacement LED heads for them now - should up the burn time a lot. They're not cheap, though.
I have those in my 3xD cell and one of my 2xAA cell Maglites. They cost about £20 each and make a big difference, both to battery life and brightness. You want the Luxeon ones though, not the 3 x LED array ones, which are pretty lame. Alternatively, Maglite now have a range of LED flashlights.

I have a Nextorch Z3 too - a poor man's Surefire, but quite decent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got into flashlights.

Bought a Fenix P3D Premium 100 and one of FiveMega's Maglite mods.

A standard Mag3d makes like 75 lumens IIRC. The one I have makes around 1400 lumens :).

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got into flashlights.

Bought a Fenix P3D Premium 100 and one of FiveMega's Maglite mods.

A standard Mag3d makes like 75 lumens IIRC. The one I have makes around 1400 lumens :).
interesting,

I am thinking about getting a fenix P3DQ5 myself, because it is 3,3cm shorter than my L2D (my EDC) and of course it puts out a fair amout of light more. how do you like it? any feedback is appreciated.

regards, holger

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
It sounds similar to what I have in my 3 D cell Maglite, only it's 140 lumens not 1400 lumens. If that wasn't a typo - I want one! :-d

·
Registered
237 Posts
I actually checked out candlepowerforums as well....and got some great advice for upgrading my outdated mag lights....its amazing how much flashlights have evolved in the last couple of years...it might be worth it to read through some of the posts for an hour to see what new light you might want to get.....I'm going with some of the fenix line to replace my mag lights...good prices and seem to be reliable/tough just like g-shocks|>
sj

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@sj29,

upgrading from a incan maglite to a led fenix is a HUGE step forwards you won't regret. I did that last year and while I never was much interested carrying a flashlight permanately around, that completely changed the day I got my fenix L2D and it haven't left my belt since one single day. its exactly the same size as my mini maglite but the light output is insane. compared to the incan mag its like the moon light vs. the sun light (not in colouration but in brightness).

this pictures shows the L2D in its weakest mode: 9 lumens vs the mini mag - both lamps have fresh batteries:

while the mag might still had a slight chance, one step further this is totally gone with 40 lumens:

to make it even brighter, this shot is with 80 lumens:

and finally the L2D in its "turbo" mode with 135 lumens:

and now imagine that the new Q5 LED in the fenix P3D outputs 215 lumens and is even smaller than the L2D (but with two CR123 batteries) ....

regards, holger

·
Registered
11 Posts
It sounds similar to what I have in my 3 D cell Maglite, only it's 140 lumens not 1400 lumens. If that wasn't a typo - I want one! :-d

It was a typo. More like 1450 Lumens :-d.

Really an amazing light.

When I bought my Fenix P3D 100, I was impressed because it was my first real flashlight and I had nothing to really compare it to. But this thing just blows it away. Not even close.

There are still a couple for sale on CPF, but I must warn you - this hobby is not as cheap as you may think.

This is what you call a hotwire mod. Pretty much the only thing that this shares with the maglite is the housing.
The inside is carved out, so there is room for 8 high-power lithium batteries.
A new bulb socket, metal reflector and glass lens are fitted, as the stock internals would melt from the intense heat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts