WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Did you notice anything off about the proportions of the hands? I just received my 36 and for some reason it seems as if the hands are a little too thin. Does it seem that way having both side by side?
I agree that the hands are a bit thin, especially in the dark. My theory is that the blued part of the hands often look black and then “disappear” in the dial.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
After looking at it for the past couple of days, yeah I think it's exactly that. If you shine light on the hands to bring out the bright blue color, suddenly it looks much larger and "right". I'm beginning to enjoy it more as I notice little details that you don't see right away, and I'm surprised that even at 36mm the watch wears large on my 6" wrists.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for this comparison! It’s funny how relevant this is to me. I currently have the Marine 36 small seconds and have been considering selling it and getting a flieger 36. My everyday wearer is an SKX013 so it is great to see the comparison to that watch as well.

I still think I am going with the 36, although I agree with you that the 40 looks more like a tool watch. I wish my wrist was a hair bigger. I had a Damasko DA36 that I loved but it was just a little too big for my taste and I know the Stowa 40 is a very similar size and presentation.

Here is my Marine just because:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Received the watch two days ago from Stowa. Went with the 40mm thanks to this post. Kinda looks big on my 6.5" wrist but I don't mind. It's a handsome watch.

20200728_105243.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Received the watch two days ago from Stowa. Went with the 40mm thanks to this post. Kinda looks big on my 6.5" wrist but I don't mind. It's a handsome watch.
why does it look like it wears bigger on your wrist than on the OP's wrist even though your wrist is larger?

·
Registered
29 Posts
No clue. Just how it wears. I wear my watches further back on my wrist, away from my wrist joint. OP looks like he wears it further forward. Side to side, my wrist is really thin...overall circumference measures 6.5".

·
Registered
533 Posts
why does it look like it wears bigger on your wrist than on the OP's wrist even though your wrist is larger?
It’s due to the photos being taken at different focal lengths. I just took 2 pictures of the same watch on my wrist. The difference is taking a photo close up (which distorts the watch to look larger since it is closer to the camera than the arm) vs zooming in to get a close picture of a watch while still having the physical camera far enough away to maintain a relatively realistic perspective.

In the photos below, the first picture more closely represents how the watch looks at a normal viewing distance while the second would be the view if I put my eyes 3 inches from the watch.

If the goal is to represent reality, the camera needs to be at your normal viewing distance from the watch and then adjust the zoom accordingly to taste. Nice cameras may have more ways to play with this but for basic cell phone cameras this should hold pretty true.

·
Registered
25 Posts
~ Mike2:

Thank you for the two images above and the superb explanation of distance distortion.

Two of my students discusssed this very subject two days ago.

When I see them next week, I'll refer them to your post, as it's so well stated.

I wish that I was able to write as cogently.

Tom K.

·
Registered
533 Posts
~ Mike2:

Thank you for the two images above and the superb explanation of distance distortion.

Two of my students discusssed this very subject two days ago.

When I see them next week, I'll refer them to your post, as it's so well stated.

I wish that I was able to write as cogently.

Tom K.
Of course, Tom! I’m glad it was helpful and excited that it may be useful to your students. I feel that it’s important because a lot of people judge watch size by wrist shots which can be incredibly misleading for this reason.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts