WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hmm I am 6.7" and having had the 39mm Laco Flieger and now have the Stowa 36mm Vintage Bronze, I much prefer the 36mm as not only does it sit more "snug", but also feels more natural too. Granted two different watches but the lug to lug is 44.8mm vs 46.5 of the Laco so comparatively close between the two. I know for sure that I would not like the extra long lug to lug of the 40mm Stowa Flieger Classic/Vintage.

I also fully suspect the dial aesthetic is vastly different in the flesh between the bronze and the stainless versions. Personally I cannot think of a better combination of features for aesthetics as found on the bronze:

·
Banned
185 Posts
Hmm I am 6.7" and having had the 39mm Laco Flieger and now have the Stowa 36mm Vintage Bronze, I much prefer the 36mm as not only does it sit more "snug", but also feels more natural too. Granted two different watches but the lug to lug is 44.8mm vs 46.5 of the Laco so comparatively close between the two. I know for sure that I would not like the extra long lug to lug of the 40mm Stowa Flieger Classic/Vintage.

I also fully suspect the dial aesthetic is vastly different in the flesh between the bronze and the stainless versions. Personally I cannot think of a better combination of features for aesthetics as found on the bronze:

I was torn between 36 and 40 but went for a verus and they only do it in 40 and I was so glad that I took a 40. I have slightly bigger wrist than you tough. I thought 40 would be to big but could even have been a 42 in MY opinion. It's all personal preference. If you're happy=great. That seems to fit very well. And it's friggin amazing looking. Congrats!

Edit: came of a bit arrogant. Didn't mean too. I appreciate the info. If I buy a marine I will definitely go for 36. Flieger and marine case are the same I think.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but thanks for sharing the comparison pics. I'm just going through the same predicament and I'm definitely decided on the 36 now.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Same here. I really appreciate this thread for the comparison. I want to like the 40, but I know I don't like 40s when it's all dial, especially with a slim bezel. Hoping to get the 36mm someday.

·
Registered
437 Posts
(y) (y)

I have a quick update on patina between case and buckle btw. These photos show just how different the treatment Stowa use on the case helps "store" the patina on the bronze vs the untreated buckle which for me is scratched up nicely as it gets used. On an other material I'd dislike this, but bronze has a daily life purpose about it, so this is fine in my eyes.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but thanks for sharing the comparison pics. I'm just going through the same predicament and I'm definitely decided on the 36 now.
Same here. I really appreciate this thread for the comparison. I want to like the 40, but I know I don't like 40s when it's all dial, especially with a slim bezel. Hoping to get the 36mm someday.
I think you will both be happy with the 36. The aesthetic of the 40mm case is near perfect but for a smaller wrist, the 36 just feels like an old pair of jeans that is effortless and comfy to wear. It's a subtle watch, but when you zoom in on the details it just sings. Not a classic dress watch but I also feel perfectly happy wearing it with a suit too. My favorite all-arounder and I don't think I would change a single thing on it (not sure I can say that about any other watch I have owned). Having said that, I actually just pulled the trigger on a sterile manual to replace my logo auto, this might be an illness.

Edit: If you are looking at this watch, here is my two cents on the customization choices for the 36mm now that I am flipping mine for another version:
  • If you are ordering new, take your time. Even if you think you know what you want, just mull over each of the customization options for at least a day or two.
  • Thickness: The 36 will wear thinner than most other mechanical watches regardless of the movement you get. My auto is plenty thin and is the right thickness to be in proportion to the case size, in my opinion. I would just go with the movement you prefer and don't worry about the thickness. My guess is that the auto uses a deeper caseback and that just sinks into the wrist unseen anyway.
  • Logo: I know the sterile dial is popular, but it is worth considering the logo for at least a moment. It breaks up the negative space and in person, the gray font is small and close to the color of the dial. It is the most humble logo I have ever seen on a watch. Photos always make it pop more than reality.
  • Date: Consider whether your other watches have dates. I think it can be easy to get caught in the romantic thought of a sterile dial but be honest with yourself about whether you can live without it based on the other watches you wear. If you wind up flipping a date model, there are many no-dates available second-hand.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Edit: If you are looking at this watch, here is my two cents on the customization choices for the 36mm now that I am flipping mine for another version:
  • If you are ordering new, take your time. Even if you think you know what you want, just mull over each of the customization options for at least a day or two.
  • Thickness: The 36 will wear thinner than most other mechanical watches regardless of the movement you get. My auto is plenty thin and is the right thickness to be in proportion to the case size, in my opinion. I would just go with the movement you prefer and don't worry about the thickness. My guess is that the auto uses a deeper caseback and that just sinks into the wrist unseen anyway.
  • Logo: I know the sterile dial is popular, but it is worth considering the logo for at least a moment. It breaks up the negative space and in person, the gray font is small and close to the color of the dial. It is the most humble logo I have ever seen on a watch. Photos always make it pop more than reality.
  • Date: Consider whether your other watches have dates. I think it can be easy to get caught in the romantic thought of a sterile dial but be honest with yourself about whether you can live without it based on the other watches you wear. If you wind up flipping a date model, there are many no-dates available second-hand.
I have considered the logo version for the exact reason you mentioned. I previously had a sterile dial Maratac Pilot that I felt didn't have much character because it was so plain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you will both be happy with the 36. The aesthetic of the 40mm case is near perfect but for a smaller wrist, the 36 just feels like an old pair of jeans that is effortless and comfy to wear. It's a subtle watch, but when you zoom in on the details it just sings. Not a classic dress watch but I also feel perfectly happy wearing it with a suit too. My favorite all-arounder and I don't think I would change a single thing on it (not sure I can say that about any other watch I have owned). Having said that, I actually just pulled the trigger on a sterile manual to replace my logo auto, this might be an illness.

Thank you for all the information and photos! Is that your watch and wrist on the photos? May i ask your wrist size?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Having owned the sterile Flieger bronze 36 for a few months now - I’d have preferred the logo on the dial and engraving on the side . The dial looks a little dull at times without the logo.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have considered the logo version for the exact reason you mentioned. I previously had a sterile dial Maratac Pilot that I felt didn't have much character because it was so plain.
The negative space on the sterile dial was a bit distracting at first as I am used to busier dials. However, after a few days of wearing it, I am appreciating the simplicity more and the willingness of a brand to sell you a nice watch with zero branding, save the movement. In a weird way the dial is almost meditative when I got over the shock of the negative space below 12 o'clock. If I were ordering one new as my only watch, I would order the logo. However, within the context of my collection, it is a nice contrast against the superfluous "Chronograph" or "Prospex Automatic" text on the other dials. Still undecided about which Stowa to keep atm.

Thank you for all the information and photos! Is that your watch and wrist on the photos? May i ask your wrist size?
Of course, thanks for the kind words. Yes, this is my watch and wrist. My wrist is 6.75" but is pretty sqaure so probably looks more like a 6.25" to 6.5" from the top in wrist shots.
Here is another wrist shot with the sterile dial. The lack of logo does seem to increase the perceived size with the increase in negative dial space.

Exactly the reason I went with logo! The engraving on the side is a must though sticking true to Flieger aesthetics for historical points.

Whatever the options though, the blued hands look so crisp in the light...
+1 for those blue hands. I feel like you haven't really seen a Stowa flieger dial and hands until you have been outside on a cloudy day. Still so torn on the logo. If they still had the old logo, there would be no question in my mind. I know the old vs. new logo topic has been beaten to death, but my only criticism of the brand is that they abandoned an iconic logo for one that was made with what looks like the default font in Microsoft word. If that sounds harsh, I would still consider buying the new logo again, just a critique. The logo on the flieger is so humble in size and color that it isn't that big of a deal to me overall. The engraving is a nice piece of history as well. Never thought about the engraving until I read about the history and now I think it is a neat touch.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Never considered the font being Arial but now it cannot be unseen :D
In a way I think it is fine, a classic Stowa should bear the classic logo absolutely, but a reissue/modern take is fine with the newer logo although I agree would have been nice to have the classic on everything.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Still undecided about which Stowa to keep atm.
The only option is to keep both for a longer period to see which one you naturally wear and enjoy more. I had the same problem with duplicate G-Shocks in slightly different colors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you @Mike2 for your reply. Thank you @mrk for the analysis and the photos (i was sure i wanted the classic flieger but after your post and photos, i can't take of my mind the bronze one! What a beauty!)
I have the Stowa Flieger on my wish list for a long time. My main concern is that i cannot try them on. I believe the 36 will be fine (my wrist is about 16.3 cm). The lug to lug on the 40 and the fact that there is no bezel is scaring me, i am afraid it will look enormous on my wrist!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thank you @Mike2 for your reply. Thank you @mrk for the analysis and the photos (i was sure i wanted the classic flieger but after your post and photos, i can't take of my mind the bronze one! What a beauty!)
I have the Stowa Flieger on my wish list for a long time. My main concern is that i cannot try them on. I believe the 36 will be fine (my wrist is about 16.3 cm). The lug to lug on the 40 and the fact that there is no bezel is scaring me, i am afraid it will look enormous on my wrist!
yes I’ve been trying my watches on with the similar lug to lug to try to make this decision too. This is a wonderful thread as it was literally the question I’ve been going back and forth on for some time. Got to love WUS community. Still deciding … leaning toward 36.

·
Registered
854 Posts
yes I’ve been trying my watches on with the similar lug to lug to try to make this decision too. This is a wonderful thread as it was literally the question I’ve been going back and forth on for some time. Got to love WUS community. Still deciding … leaning toward 36.
Don’t know if this helps, but the Stowa is the “largest” 36mm watch I’ve owned. Here it is with some other 36’s. If you just want a watch that wears effortlessly on a small or medium wrist, this is it. At 36, it’s like the ‘field watch’ of fliegers. Sits very flat and hugs the wrist.

I say go 36 for “the comfortable, every day, ‘explorer 1’ version of a pilots watch”. Go 40 for a more invested “This solid hunk of steel is my flieger” feel. I think it might depend on what you want out of the watch in the context of your collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
The negative space on the sterile dial was a bit distracting at first as I am used to busier dials. However, after a few days of wearing it, I am appreciating the simplicity more and the willingness of a brand to sell you a nice watch with zero branding, save the movement. In a weird way the dial is almost meditative when I got over the shock of the negative space below 12 o'clock. If I were ordering one new as my only watch, I would order the logo. However, within the context of my collection, it is a nice contrast against the superfluous "Chronograph" or "Prospex Automatic" text on the other dials. Still undecided about which Stowa to keep atm.

Of course, thanks for the kind words. Yes, this is my watch and wrist. My wrist is 6.75" but is pretty sqaure so probably looks more like a 6.25" to 6.5" from the top in wrist shots.
Here is another wrist shot with the sterile dial. The lack of logo does seem to increase the perceived size with the increase in negative dial space.

+1 for those blue hands. I feel like you haven't really seen a Stowa flieger dial and hands until you have been outside on a cloudy day. Still so torn on the logo. If they still had the old logo, there would be no question in my mind. I know the old vs. new logo topic has been beaten to death, but my only criticism of the brand is that they abandoned an iconic logo for one that was made with what looks like the default font in Microsoft word. If that sounds harsh, I would still consider buying the new logo again, just a critique. The logo on the flieger is so humble in size and color that it isn't that big of a deal to me overall. The engraving is a nice piece of history as well. Never thought about the engraving until I read about the history and now I think it is a neat touch.

We can say that new STOWA logo is maybe a Myriad Pro font, but never never never Arial

41 - 58 of 58 Posts