WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have a Marine automatic which also have the same 40mm case and a flieger 36 so I can't really compare the watches, only case sizes.

I guess it depends more on your tastes. The 40 mm is on the big side but I can wear slightly bigger, especially for a flieger.
For example I think the 41 mm flieger is still ok but not the marine original which has the same size but that I consider more as a dress watch.
I tried both the TO2 and klassik sport but they are too big for me.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Too many answers just going the company line, "bigger is better" where really, they shouldn't be saying anything, as they don't have your wrists--some wrists, though small, are wide and flat, and can hold a relatively large watch, while others are much rounder, where a smaller watch is better--we really don't know which yours is. Further, it is one thing whether you "can" wear a large watch, and another whether it really looks well integrated with your wrist. The obvious solution would be to try on both watches and decide for yourself--but, it appears you can't do that.

My wrist is small, at 6.75, but is relatively flat, and so I "can" wear a larger watch, even as large as a 44mm--but, I have found that over time (with maturity comes at least some wisdom?) the smaller looks and feels better, even "cooler", than the bigger ones--I would go with the 36mm myself--but, if I were you I really wouldn't listen to anyone here to help you decide between the two--you should try them on--or something similar--in person, and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
36mm!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think the 40mm version is too big for a 6,25" wrist. The 48.6mm L2L is not insignificant. Of course some people don't mind having the lugs overhand their wrist, but I do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think the 40mm version is too big for a 6,25" wrist. The 48.6mm L2L is not insignificant. Of course some people don't mind having the lugs overhand their wrist, but I do.
I measured my wrist and the L2L of 48.6 would just about not overhang. But yeah because I want to be on the safe side I did go with the 36mm.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am almost sure it is too small. I am wearing larger watches with less wrist size.
Agreed, definitely too small. Curious why he went for the 36 mm. Did he seek opinions? Certainly almost everyone would have recommended against the 36...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 40mm Ikarus Flieger and a 6.75" wrist. In my view, I can just pull it off. I wouldn't want a bigger flieger watch, nor would I want a smaller wrist for the 40mm watch.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Definitely 36mm. I have a 6.30 inch wrists and had the Stowa Marine but eventually sold it due to it being too large on my wrists. But if you have relatively flat wrists, it may work out for you. YMMV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the lug to lug might be a problem with the 40 on your wrist, unless it's very thin and flat. Just measure 48mm on the top of your wrist and see how it fits.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For your reference, 6" wrist, wrist width is 48mm, the 36mm Flieger has 44.5mm lug-to-lug. If your wrist's width is at least 50mm, go with the 40mm Flieger
wrist.jpg

·
Registered
Omega Speedmaster Pro, Stowa Marine 36 KS, Sinn 104
579 Posts
I am almost sure it is too small. I am wearing larger watches with less wrist size.
I'm actually interested in seeing how it looks. (I know, historically big watches, yada yada ;) )

After wearing my Marine 36 on a 7.5" wrist for two weeks, I'm wearing my Flieger 40 for the first time again today, and it just looks silly big all of a sudden. I know the watch didn't grow in the meantime, so it's probably my mind that has adjusted itself to a more subtle looking watch over the course of a fortnight.

So much so, that I'm strangely curious about what the 36mm Flieger would look like for me. A bit like the Flieger-equivalent of an Explorer 36 or a Blackbay 36?

I'm inclined to say that it's easier for a watch to be too big, than it is to be too small. And 36mm is actually a historically appropriate size for toolwatches and field watches too :)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts