WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

I posted last week inquiring about Stowa as a company. I just received my Flieger today and I am thrilled with it! Thank you WUS community for helping me narrow down my first watch.

A few questions about handwound movements (because I'm paranoid):

1. Is it possible to "overwind?" Can you damage the movement? I wound until I started getting a little more resistance then stopped. Is this appropriate?

2. How often should I plan to send my watch back to Stowa for maintenance?

3. How water-resistant is the Flieger? If it rains outside, or if I'm splashing my hands with water, do I need to worry about water damaging the leather band or case?

4. Is there anything else important I should know about maintaining a hand-wound movement, or taking care of a Flieger specifically?

Thanks again for any / all input. Appreciate the feedback. IMG_1210.JPG IMG_1211.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Good morning!

I posted last week inquiring about Stowa as a company. I just received my Flieger today and I am thrilled with it! Thank you WUS community for helping me narrow down my first watch.

A few questions about handwound movements (because I'm paranoid):

1. Is it possible to "overwind?" Can you damage the movement? I wound until I started getting a little more resistance then stopped. Is this appropriate?

2. How often should I plan to send my watch back to Stowa for maintenance?

3. How water-resistant is the Flieger? If it rains outside, or if I'm splashing my hands with water, do I need to worry about water damaging the leather band or case?

4. Is there anything else important I should know about maintaining a hand-wound movement, or taking care of a Flieger specifically?
1. Yes, but it would take some effort. It's appropriate to stop when you feel the resistance.

2. From Stowa:
We recommend to make a service on the movement every 4 to 5 years. Our full-movement service comprises the change of all case-gaskets and the lubrication of all stone jewels in the movement.
3. The back of your case says 5 ATM which is 50meters of water resistance. So as long as the crown is stowed, the activities you mentioned would not harm the watch head. Leather straps are a different story and for the most part don't do well with moisture. If you get the strap wet, hang up the watch in a cool dry place and let it air dry.

4. Not really. For the most accurate timing, keep the watch wound daily or as needed to keep it from approaching the end of the reserve. As the watch approaches its minimum reserve, accuracy will suffer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the great info - I'll try to get in the habit of winding once per day.

Cheers,

·
Registered
87 Posts
It is also recommended that you wind the watch approximately at the same time every day. I do it every morning, once I wake up before putting the watch on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts