WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After visiting my father over the weekend, I decided to ask him if he would allow me to look into restoring his old Omega. I hadn't looked at it for years, and I wasn't sure if it was a Mk2 Speedmaster, or a Flightmaster.

As it turns out, it's a c.911 Flightmaster owned by my father since new, and it is in desperate need of some professional help.

It looks like it has been through wars (it got fairly beat up in a terrible car accident in the early 80's), and although it seems to be working, it needs a total overhaul.

So, as much as it's going to cost a fair bit, I'll be sending it to Bienne very soon.

Here it is:

Anyway, I just thought I'd share it. It would be nice to have your thoughts/advice. |>

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Make sure you clearly state that you want to keep the original dial (if that's what you want of course). If you don't they will swap it out for a service replacement with a 'SWISS MADE' dial and not the 'T SWISS MADE T' that you have in the original. The 'T' denotes it has/had tritium lume.

It looks like it needs a fair bit of work, but Bienne can do amazing things with them.

Mine was 'Bienned' in 2008

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Ps, what does it say on the bracelet clasp? It looks from the photo to be a replacement on the original 1162 bracelet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Jon
That looks amazing!!

It probably looks worse than it is, considering I doubt it has ever had a service. My dad was still a teenager when it was bought to him, so I can't imagine servicing a watch is on the mind of a student in the 70's, but I could be wrong.

It's missing the two o'clock pusher and also the original clasp as you noted (replaced with an Orient clasp, which isn't a great fit, but works I suppose). The crystal is very beaten up, too, and it has a bad ding in the casing around the four o'clock area. I'd love to get it looking presentable so it could be enjoyed on the wrist again.

I think I'll leave the dial and bezel, as they haven't discoloured/faded unevenly. Although the contrast in yours with the new hands looks awesome.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Joe
I've been given step-by-step details on who to contact, what to say, and even a template on giving instructions on what I want to have done.

A guy from the UK (as I am) over on the RLT forum has been very, very helpful. He's had a couple of Flightmasters done, so he knows what he's doing.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Awesome watch. Here's mine which does have the service dial. I've sourced a new crystal, case back (my plane can only just be seen) coloured pushers and band and have just sent it off to be put together, with a complete service. I forget the term when the band fits under the case as it does on the flightmaster, but I feel that is the key with such a large watch feeling so comfortable on the wrist. They are not a watch I would expect to see out in the wild.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing before and after pics..
regards

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@yande
Thanks. That's a nice example you have, too.

Have you ever thought about getting the sunburst grain done to your casing like Jon's example? I think it really takes this watch from being 'excellent' to 'iconic'.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
@yande
Thanks. That's a nice example you have, too.

Have you ever thought about getting the sunburst grain done to your casing like Jon's example? I think it really takes this watch from being 'excellent' to 'iconic'.
I would love to have it done, though at present I am only aware of two places in the world that can do it. Bienne and a guy in Belgium. Perhaps I am wrong here and someone will reply that any good watchmaker can do it, in that case, I will ask my (new improved) watchmaker to re apply it. I agree, I saw Jons and my flightmaster is the result after I picked my jaw up from the ground. Absolutely perfect.
regards

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love to have it done, though at present I am only aware of two places in the world that can do it. Bienne and a guy in Belgium. Perhaps I am wrong here and someone will reply that any good watchmaker can do it, in that case, I will ask my (new improved) watchmaker to re apply it. I agree, I saw Jons and my flightmaster is the result after I picked my jaw up from the ground. Absolutely perfect.
regards
From what I can gather, the lapping process requires a lot of skill. Some have had watches wrecked because it wasn't done properly. This is the reason I'm sending mine to Bienne. STS in the UK do it by hand, but you don't get the same 'pop' and sharp edges like you see in Jon's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts