WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have secured the parts required to bring the Flightmaster into pristine condition. I don't use the word pristine lightly either. The watch was worn for about 2 months in total and was then stored. It aquired some minor case and crystal scratches, probably due to the wifes diamonds ;-) in the jewelrey box.

In any case (pun intended) I cleaned up the case, removed the crowns and pushers along with the movement which is getting a full service at the spa. The gaskets on the case, pushers, crown and crystal had all turned into goo. So once the movement, internal bezel, crystal, crowns etc had been stripped from the case I proceeded to replace the following:

1. the pusher tube gaskets were picked out and the goo removed with laquer thinner.
  2. the crown, all 3 of them, had their gaskets and goo removed and cleaned out.
  3. The case was cleaned after resurfacing the brushed finish with fiberglass brushes and then soaked in laquer thinner to remove the caseback gasket goo and the remnants of the crystals two gaskets.
Of course I used all new gaskets, eight in total packed in silicon grease. Well thats the update, the pictures will explain the rest. All thats left to do is to apply the 3 luminous dots to the dial as in the original Tritium dials and assemble when the movement gets back.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Wow, what a project, Geoff! With all your details, it almost feels like I'm a part of it. Hey, maybe you can send it to me to wear for a few weeks, after it's done!

Really, I'm loving all the details and I really hope you keep us posted on the progress. I'm looking forward to more.

eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts