WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The OVM is on my radar as a good everyday work watch among a few other choices. It's a watch that's always appealed to me. Seeing a watch online is so different than owning and living with one however, and I've always found reasons why people may have flipped a certain piece to be pretty indicative of what others may not like about a piece and whether those things would bother me or not.

So if you've owned and flipped an OVM, can you post about why you ultimately decided to flip it and if you've been happy with that decision after the fact? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I HATED the flatness of the lugs and that they were just a hair too long. The watch itself was absolutely perfect in all regards EXCEPT for those stupid lugs being so flat. If they had curved just a little more to follow the wrist I would still be wearing it right now. It was my Holy Grail for years - until I literally put it on.

The flag lugs made for a sharp angle at the lugs towards the bracelet. Jut looked awful.

I have oval 7" wrists and it should have looked good.

Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
That grey dial...and the clasp, especially the polished portion with the "S" logo. The quality of the clasp just doesn't match the rest of the watch.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I HATED the flatness of the lugs and that they were just a hair too long. The watch itself was absolutely perfect in all regards EXCEPT for those stupid lugs being so flat. If they had curved just a little more to follow the wrist I would still be wearing it right now. It was my Holy Grail for years - until I literally put it on.

The flag lugs made for a sharp angle at the lugs towards the bracelet. Jut looked awful.

I have oval 7" wrists and it should have looked good.

Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The midcase of the OVM is identical to the midcase of the O1V size-wise other than the crown guards, correct?

I have a flat/oval 7" wrist as well and used to have an O1V. It fit well on natos and leather but I never tried it on bracelet. I've become much more a bracelet person but do plan to wear it mostly on NATO if I get one, so I *think* it'll be okay if it's the same shape and size lug to lug as the O1V.

That grey dial...and the clasp, especially the polished portion with the "S" logo. The quality of the clasp just doesn't match the rest of the watch.
I'm not crazy about the polished clasp at all. Looks weird in photos. That's minor though. I actually prefer the gray dial. Do you happen to know if it's darker, lighter or the same shade of gray as the O1V?

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
NOPE,the O.V.M.Gen.1 is one of only 3 watches that survived a huge downsizing of my collection recently.!It'll go in my ash jar & be dropped off the Atlantic Coast of Fl.when I kick it...

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
Flip? No way.....have 2 OVM that I keep and have considered getting a third, the gen. 2 OVM. Like them all, they are among my all-time favorite watches.

OVM-DLC

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aside from the obvious lack of lug holes and presence of crown guards, can anyone confirm that the OVM midcase is the same size and shape as the O1V?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I sold my OVM2 because of the grey dial. I bought an OVM1 on eBay and I love it! The lug design doesn't bother me and I have small 6.5" wrists.

·
Registered
792 Posts
For me, the gray dial (antique black!?!?) was the nail in the coffin. Otherwise, a beautiful piece.

Did not flip but gave it to my daughter.

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
That ovm dlc is sweet. I wish they would reissue that one!
I've posted this before but.....Initially missed the OVM-DLC but pursued it relentlessly until I found a mint one, even to this point...

custom OceanBlack Military

This OBM was a fun project to do, originally started because I could not find a black DLC version of the OVM (out of production and HTF used) and this OceanBlack mod would be as close as I could reasonably get.

After ordering the second OB, 60 minute insert and hands, I actually found and bought the OVM-DLC pictured above and decided to go ahead and complete the mod project as well.

Before

After

.......O1B....................OBM (custom)...............OVM

JZ did the work, so this OBM is a JelliSub.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I flipped an OVM, earlier this week. For me, it was the gray dial, and to a lesser extent, the 'vintage' lume looked peach-colored to me (peach is not a manly color in my book). I truly wish Steinhart would have kept the dial black like the V1. That's the watch that I fell in love with (via wornandwound's review). I feel like this was a bait and switch, and would still like to know WHY Steinhart changed it. It doesn't look vintage.

I flipped it for another Steinhart, this time, an Ocean One Titanium 500 Premium.

The one thing that would bring me back to the OVM would be if they (A) went back to the black dial, or (B) actually managed to pull off a "vintage" look, possibly by running the dial through a few temperature and humidity cycles, until it grew a real patina.. bonus points if the lume got all cracked and faded. Maybe toss the casing into a rock tumbler while they're at it. That's the only way that having the word "vintage" in the title will actually mean anything.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
flyinglotus1983

It's a watch not a shirt or tie. And anyway wearing peach or pink doesn't make you any less of a man, lol.....

I flipped an OVM, earlier this week. For me, it was the gray dial, and to a lesser extent, the 'vintage' lume looked peach-colored to me (peach is not a manly color in my book). I truly wish Steinhart would have kept the dial black like the V1. That's the watch that I fell in love with (via wornandwound's review). I feel like this was a bait and switch, and would still like to know WHY Steinhart changed it. It doesn't look vintage.

I flipped it for another Steinhart, this time, an Ocean One Titanium 500 Premium.

The one thing that would bring me back to the OVM would be if they (A) went back to the black dial, or (B) actually managed to pull off a "vintage" look, possibly by running the dial through a few temperature and humidity cycles, until it grew a real patina.. bonus points if the lume got all cracked and faded. Maybe toss the casing into a rock tumbler while they're at it. That's the only way that having the word "vintage" in the title will actually mean anything.

Reactions: RaphH

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
flyinglotus1983

It's a watch not a shirt or tie. And anyway wearing peach or pink doesn't make you any less of a man, lol.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Right, but the whole point of purchasing said watch was the promise of faded, vintage lume. And I was disappointed that it didn't look vintage. It being peach was therefore adding insult to injury.

I am nitpicking here, and not at all feeling burned about what happened. It was really cool getting to wear the OVM for a few days. I would have worn it longer, but I didn't want to risk scratching it as that would have made flipping more difficult. Had it not sold, or if I couldn't have got a decent price for it, I would have kept it and proudly wore it, a few times a week at least. Or if I could have financially kept it and the Titanium simultaneously, that would have been great as well. But in the situation that I was in, flipping was the right thing for me at the time. And literally, if you ask me my favorite two colors, it would probably be gun-metal, and blue. Therefore I think the Titanium 500 Premium was a good choice (in hindsight, as it would have been purchased instead of the OVM had I known about it).

·
Registered
805 Posts
When I acquired my 4th Ocean, the Titanium 500, I felt I had too many. Having a OVM DLC I opted to keep that and sell my 1.0 OVM. I do miss it. The steel case and fully marked bezel looked fantastic on every NATO I have and was a ball to wear.

Do miss the date when I wear OVMs though.

--
Sent from mobile, please excuse typos

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I acquired my 4th Ocean, the Titanium 500, I felt I had too many. Having a OVM DLC I opted to keep that and sell my 1.0 OVM. I do miss it. The steel case and fully marked bezel looked fantastic on every NATO I have and was a ball to wear.
First question, I've never heard of the OVM DLC, was that a limited thing? I thought there was just the OVM 1.0 and 2.0?

Second question: Out of the four, which one did you like the most? Which one do you wear the most?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts