WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Said I wasn't going to, but ended up flirting a bit with a Fenix 3. It's a really nice looking watch with great features...

I had returned my Ambit 3 Sport to make the purchase and kind of regretted it right away. Luckily last night I logged on to Amazon and was able to pick up a brand new Ambit 3 Peak (black) for only $323.00. Seemed like an amazing deal. So while I did briefly flirt with the competitor and returned my trusty Ambit, I ended up with a better version of the Ambit 3 for less money than I paid on my original one. I'll call it a win for now, haha. Now I just have to return this Fenix 3, which is a shame, because it really is a nice looking watch. I just don't know how much I can trust it.

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't FULLY made up my mind yet. So for now I will have a Fenix 3 and a Ambit 3 Peak. I have to decide between a watch experiencing some growing pains (Fenix 3) but with a better feature set and better looking, or the Ambit 3 Peak that I was able to get for $200 less, with MOST of the features and reliable GPS accuracy. To be honest that price I paid might win me over. Cheaper and more reliable is a deadly combo. Like I said, I haven't fully made up my mind but it's leaning towards Suunto.

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do me a favor... Please keep your "trust" to yourself. It's just a watch. You don't have to trust it with your soul. Most of the time it works and it works better than that ambit 3. I had it, junk watch. Returned it when it stopped working and stop receiving any notifications from my iPhone6. Fenix 3 has way better features (which works), way better design than any ambits and beautiful UI. Try that with your $323 ambit. I had to replace a band on my last ambit and paid whopping $70. Seriously??? Fenix band cost $23. For a long run ambit cost more than fenix 3. So that decision you made was pretty stupid. I can assure you that I'm not falling for that.
First of all you need to calm down. You are on a Suunto forum, where most people will prefer a Suunto. I still own both the Ambit 3 and the Fenix 3. The only thing the Fenix 3 has going for it is its looks and vibration alerts. Outside of that, sporadic battery drainage, questionable GPS accuracy, and random freezing renders a watch with better features worthless. Go back to your Garmin forums if you are going to be butt hurt by someone on a Suunto forum saying they prefer Suunto.

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
https://forums.garmin.com/showthrea...-comparison-Here-is-5-of-them!-Fenix-3-sucks!

Go ahead and give this thread a read. The guy tested the Fenix 3 against like 4 other Garmins. It was the absolute WORST performer under tree cover, which essentially what the watch is made for. How can their hiking/mountaineering/outdoors watch be decent in perfect conditions but terrible in tree cover? This pretty much sold me, I'm sticking to Suunto. Ambit 3 might not be perfect either but it does the job it's supposed to do most of the time. I keep trying to give Garmin another chance but they just don't have it together right now. Keeping my Ambit 3 and will purchase the Ambit 4 when it comes out. At least I've finally made a decision.

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes it is true, you can link Movescount to Strava for example, and when Movescount functions ok it will sync your activities.. but:
- it doesn't always sync (I have it linked)
- it doesn't sync some types of activities (non GPS activities for example, like treadmill or my squash games)
- if Movescount fails (like during last Christmas) you just can't upload your activities at all (ofc there are ways to get the .fit files out of the watch but it is a workaround and not very simple)

Garmin has an open architecture which allows you to do what you want with the files (watch shows as a drive on pc/mac). Many popular sport services can import directly from Garmin watches or if you want to use your phone to upload, you can set up an automatic sync using tapiriik.com for example. I am not saying that Garmin Connect is better then Movescount but Garmin gives you more options.

@Bruceames ... yes you are right about the altimeter, I will correct it in my earlier post
If you really want to get fancy, link Movescount to Sporttracks.mobi. That WILL import all activities, not just GPS activities. You can then use Tapiriik to auto transfer from Sporttracks.mobi to Strava, Runkeeper, and many others (including Garmin Connect!). So it's possible, but yes you have to rely on Movescount working and pay like $2 to Tapiriik for their syncing service. But it's DOABLE. I had a Fenix 3 that froze on me in the middle of an activity and I lost the entire activity...so to each his own.

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Kris-O - can you export activities to Movescount from rungap? I imported all of my Garmin activities into that app since that is my most complete source. I'd like to send some of those activities to Movescount. Is this possible with that app?

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
If i remember correctly, this direction is not supported. For this purpose i used MX activity mover - i think you can export single activity (one at a time) for free but you have to pay some small amount for bulk syncing.
I synced all my old Garmin Connect trainings (once i bought Ambit3) and now i use RunGap for the Movescount->Garmin/Health/Strava direction.

Also - RunGap works for TCX, GPX export.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, that's the direction that seems the toughest. I also used MX Activity Mover at the beginning when I switched to Suunto, but didn't move over certain activities. Now that they are littered throughout Garmin Connect it will be tougher for me to pick and choose. Rungap would have been nice to just scroll through my iphone and do them one at a time. Moving forward it seems like a great easy option to get my moves into other programs. I like to keep Movescount AND Garmin up to date in case I ever switch between the two. Looking more and more likely I will just switch with Suunto. I just wish their "activity tracking" actually counted steps as this is one part of Garmin Connect I really enjoy, trying to get in as many steps as possible while I'm losing weight. Kind of dorky but it's motivating.

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
MX activity mover lets you scroll and select but you do not see too much of an activity - just a title (if i remember correctly).
I am in the same boat as you - keep my accounts in sync - i was hoping for Fenix 3 but now i am leaning towards Ambit 4 and hope it has ANT+ and BTLE :)
Steps are counted by Iphone in my case and, personally, i think that seeing the general activity level is enough
Yep, Suunto needs to really think about bringing ANT+ back into the mix for Ambit 4. I think it's worthwhile to stick with A3 and wait on the A4 though. I wear my Suunto Core as my daily watch and only put on the A3 for activities so I guess in my case a separate step tracker would be ideal. I would love if Suunto introduced an activity tracker bracelet similar to the Vivofit and it sync'd with Movescount. That would truly make me a happy Suunto fan. (Better yet a Core WITH the activity tracking features).

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
So here is my update...I believe I had mentioned that I had returned my original Fenix 3 and was lucky to pick up a Ambit 3 Peak (Black) for $333. Ended up getting a great offer on another Fenix 3 and only paid $387. I thought maybe the huge reduction in price from a great store would make me satisfied. Still not satisfied. Even at $387 this thing is going back to the store. Last night I hopped on Amazon and picked up an Ambit 3 Peak (Sapphire) for $355 and will be sticking with it once it's here.

The flirting is over. Garmin is a mess. Distance is still way shorter than it should be while in tree cover. Each time they release a "fix" it seems to fix a couple things and screw a couple more up. So the flirting is definitely over. I don't care how much lighter or better looking the thing is. I'm going to Colorado in a week for some hiking and I just want something that will work. I'm confident in Suunto. Not at all with Garmin.

On a side note, I can't believe I was able to get a Sapphire A3 Peak for $355 from Amazon. Not sure if it's still available at that price but I guess it pays off to constantly stalk Amazon prices, haha.

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
Are you positive it's "peak" sapphire for that price? I've seen "sports" sapphire for that price but not the peak... and I'm on a look out...
Yes, I'm positive. Brand new. This is the lowest I had ever seen it which is why I jumped on it. Normally doesn't get below $400. And since I now have it in hand I can verify it's the real deal. I check prices on Amazon like 3x daily so the hard work paid off, haha. I also saw the Ambit 3 Sport (Blue) get down all the way to $235 which is also an amazing deal. Text Font Line Technology Watch

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I picked up a Traverse, but am waiting to see who wins the battle between the Ambit 4 and Fenix 4. I'm hoping we all know that answer by mid 2016. I'm not touching the Fenix 3.

For now I have the Traverse and preordered the Garmin 630 just to test it out. Garmin keeps bringing me in because I like the step/sleep tracking being tracked on their site, the social aspect, and now they have a new scale which will help with my weight loss tracking. I keep wanting to go Garmin, but Suunto keeps winning me over with relatively stable products.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.