WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Count me among one of those that returned their Fenix 3. I liked the Fenix 3 as a watch, but on the twisting trails that I frequent, the GPS was just terrible. Losing as much as 10% distance vs other devices and a track that was all over the place compared to those devices( one of which being an old Garmin 310xt). I would have multiple devices measure 15 miles, and the Fenix 3 come in at 13. Or 21 miles and 19.5 miles.

I kept not believing it could be that bad, and would go out the next day and test it again. Finally, did it enough that I was convinced it needed to be returned.

It was better when I used it on roads, but still always measured short.

· Registered
3 Posts
Performed the same test in the morning in a covered patio where I stay. Synchronized both watches, so almanacs were up-to date. First acquisition took the Ambit 3 about 7 sec's and the Fenix 3 more than 30 sec's. On subsequent acquisitions, the Ambit acquired location within 2-5 sec's while the F3 was nearly instant. But, the location shown by the A3 was very consistent while the F3 were all over the map. Re-did the test in the afternoon. This time both acquired locations within 5 sec's on initial acquisition. On subsequent acq's the A3 stayed within 2-5 sec's while the F3 was instant. However, again the F3 locations were not consistent, dispersing as far as 100m or more, while the A3 stayed within 10-20m dispersal.
Could you please redo the test with the latest Fenix 3 6.08b firmware and the latest Ambit 3 fw? Ty

· Registered
3 Posts
Could anyone that owns a Fenix 3 post an updated review of the watch or comment weather the gps tracking has improved or not, if it records the proper distance with the new firmware? I don't know what to do, to send back my Ambit3 and buy the Fenix 3 or wait.

Thanks

· Registered
109 Posts
Could anyone that owns a Fenix 3 post an updated review of the watch or comment weather the gps tracking has improved or not, if it records the proper distance with the new firmware? I don't know what to do, to send back my Ambit3 and buy the Fenix 3 or wait.

Thanks
Me too returned the F3 since it's too heavy for my skinny wrist. Also I got slightly tired of constantly readig the forum for a new update with fixes or new functions. The Ambit on the other hand, well - it just works and it does it every time I use it. These are the reasons for my return of the F3.

To your question about tracking accuracy; there are reports that some see better tracking with 6.0X firmwares. Others don't and are still troubled with very bad performance. It looks like it's getting better in general. But the F3 has also been out for about half a year and is still struggling for some. It makes me wonder if they will ever get it fixed. But when that is said, there are also quite a lot who is happy with their F3. So I guess it's a matter of the area you live in and maybe also expectations to GPS accuracy. In a direct comparison - A3Peak vs. Fenix3 - A3Peak takes the glory instantly in GPS performance. But hey - that's just my observations.

· Registered
398 Posts
I keep thinking that I want a Fenix 3. It's a beautiful watch with great features. I figured that by now, Garmin should have gotten most of the bugs worked out. Turns out, that they just formally released firmware 5.0 and are up to beta 6.15. However if you use a beta version and then go back to a released version, you lose all your settings. (ugh- so not worth it) Clearly- Garmin's development team is still working furiously on the platform.

Read through some forum posts. Lotsa' people still having terribly ragged looking GPS tracks, while others look perfectly good. Apparently if your gps track is horrible, you can send the watch back to garmin and they'll replace it. However some have received back watches that meet garmin's accuracy spec, but are still apparently lousy. Some people still getting massive battery drains from new firmware. Still no HR while swimming option for using a Mio Link- although it appears that Garmin is working on that too (something I really want and use on my Suunto). And- it looks like if you want stable pace information- you need to wear a foot pod.

ugh. the Fenix appears to still be a mess. It's a shame- as it's a great looking watch with a lot of potential.

I'll check in again in a few months. I'd plink down the coin for a Fenix3... that just works.

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I picked up a Traverse, but am waiting to see who wins the battle between the Ambit 4 and Fenix 4. I'm hoping we all know that answer by mid 2016. I'm not touching the Fenix 3.

For now I have the Traverse and preordered the Garmin 630 just to test it out. Garmin keeps bringing me in because I like the step/sleep tracking being tracked on their site, the social aspect, and now they have a new scale which will help with my weight loss tracking. I keep wanting to go Garmin, but Suunto keeps winning me over with relatively stable products.

· Registered
472 Posts
I replaced a stolen Garmin 910XT with an Ambit2 - which I then lost, bought an Ambit3 Peak then found again (so I now have both!)
I was new to GPS watches having just used mobile phones - I got sick of them just freezing mid run/cycle/swim.

The 910XT initially impressed me but the niggles started to bite - awful GPS locking, sometimes not getting a fix after five minutes. Diabolical battery life - I just found my Ambit2 after more than two weeks. I'd done a long run and timed it then it was back in watch mode - still had 50% charge. My 910XT used to last a few days as a watch; no more. As a GPS device, it was half a day at most. Garmin customer service was dreadful - Suunto is far better.

Then there's build quality - the Finnish made Ambits are streets ahead. The Garmins just feel plasticky like a cheap Casio watch. I reckon you can just about get away with an Ambit as a large daily watch. Not so with a 910/20XT although the Fenix is a bit better. And those bugs seem to be terrible.

And GPS when running - far more consistent with the Ambits for distance and height. The Garmin was all over the place. I reckon the Garmin was a little better in open water swimming with less delays between updates (I swam a mile recently - the Ambit2 said 0.75 - I wanted to make it a mile. A few strokes later and it said 1.01 miles - had this happen a few times; not tested the Ambit3 yet).

Then add the much nicer GUI of Movescount, the cool videos it does (I'm still blown away by the video it did of my run as are all my running mates!) and it's better in almost all areas.

I'll stick with Garmin for car satnav but for sports watches - no way.

Reactions: morey000
101 - 108 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.