WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a few days ago I got my brand new shiny Seiko SKX007 in the mail. BEAUTIFUL. Love at first sight. Couldn't have come at a better time as this weekend I started my dives for my Open Water SCUBA Certification.

I quickly put it on a bond nato strap upon arrival. This strap felt more thin and... flimsy? than the Zulu's I have but I liked the look of it. So I show up to my class this morning and we get in the water. What I learned instantly is that wetsuits constrict when wet (was I not paying attention in class?) and I kept having to tighten the strap on my watch.

I was checking my wrist throughout the entire dive... really just admiring more than anything.

On the way out we got into the shallows and I brunted the force of some pretty violent waves. When I got onto sand I looked down one more time....

The watch was missing from my wrist.... o| o| o| o| o| o| o| o| o| o| :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: o| :oops: o| :oops: o| :oops: o|

Lesson learned: The rubber straps that come on diver watches are designed to compensate for wetsuit size fluctuation. Do NOT wear Nato's to dive!

Already hovering my cursor over the "purchase" button for a new one :-s

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
That sucks man. I thought NATOS are suppsoed to be more secure, because if you lose a springbar it is still attached by the other one?

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Ouch

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
That sucks. Sorry to hear.
I too always read the Natos/Zulus are supposed to be the best for diving to avoid such mishaps of springbars giving away. I thought when they get wet, the straps should not loosen up either. ??
Was it on securely, ie the proper spring bar size and zulu strapped tight?
I wonder if the bars were too short and came right off.
Did you lose watch and strap together or just the head?

Just trying to figure how this may have happened.

Hope you get another soon.

Dave.

·
Registered
871 Posts
What a bummer!

I often think that the NATOs are not the best choice because the can't expand. You wear them either tight or super slack, especially with a heavy dive watch mounted on it. However, the rubbber straps on the Seikos and Citizens can take a lot of stretch, 1 or 2 cm easily. You could carry a box of beer on these and nothing would happen.

I also wonder if only the watch (-head) was missing or also the strap? If one of the spring bars had failed the head should have still been there, so obviously the buckle failed, or it slipped over your wrist as a whole?

Good luck with your next watch/dive!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys,

Ya, it was the entire thing. Watch + Strap. I had the original Seiko fat spring bars on there. I'm sure if I would have put the rubber strap on for my dive I'd still be wearing it right now.

I'm almost positive what happened was the wetsuit constricted (as they do when they get wet), causing the strap to be slightly loose. When the big wave hit me the strap simply came undone.

With Natos you take the extra slack of the strap after the buckle and you fold it back on itself. But it's just that, folded, its not tightened. If the tongue of the buckle comes out of the hole, thats it, the folded end is not going to keep it on your wrist. As opposed to zulus, where the slack is folded and put through a second buckle of its own that you can tighten down pretty adequately, so if the tongue fails, you're still secure.

Basically I'll never dive again with any strap other than the OEM rubber, or a 4 ring zulu.

Like someone said before, not the worst watch to learn this lesson with. I'm bummed but not devastated, as I would be with a luxury diver.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What probably happened was the buckle slipping through the metal slot of the tang buckle. There's a youtube video of a guy ripping off his own NATO strap because the buckle is too thin for the metal keeper. Zulus are more secure

1 - 14 of 14 Posts