WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Kinda just looking for feedback on this. Have been following this watch for awhile and just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Saw it was going to be discontinued so I called my local ad's and they don't have any in stock. Was looking on Chrono and they seem to already be going up second hand.

My questions - I am currently traveling and went into an omega ad and they have one. So now I am thinking, do I pull the trigger on this and secure the watch? Do y'all think the second hand prices will hold? Kicking myself now cause I remember seeing them for 3500-4k a few months ago.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,953 Posts
My advice would be to buy the watch from a trusted ad because you will wear and enjoy it. You could roll the dice with the understanding it may not go the way you want. It's a risk when buying at retail.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback Greg. For me it's more the potential of a watch I like going out of my price range and not wanting to miss the buying opportunity for that reason.

Haha I guess that could be FOMO but I typically think of FOMO as hype related.

John- totally I've actually never bought a watch at retail so I think that has me thinking twice a little. But man I love the Omega packaging and going through that experience sounds awesome.

Going back tomorrow for a second look. Have a BB black and the thickness has always bothered me a little. Want to double check the thickness on the FOIS when on wrist.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I guess we never know which way prices of anything will go. We're also in times of uncertainty. With the speedy I would say that now would be the worst time to buy one. Ive been seeing them everywhere at good prices for years. My local jewellers has had 2 in his window for ages. We're in lockdown in the uk so no idea if theyre still there but now theyre discontinued everyone seems to want one. So the price is bound to go up short term but once the panic dies down theyre sure to drop again. Same with the Tudor ranger. The ranger was one of the Tudors that was always in the sale section. You hardly saw them mentioned on the forums until the discontinued rumours started.

If you can, hold off for the furore to die down and bag one then. Theyre like seamasters. They produced them by the ton and youll always be able to get one.

As to the BB, a lot of the bulk is an optical illusion due to the sheer polished sides of the case. The distance from wrist to crystal will likely be the same with the speedy. It just has the bubble back stepped back from the edge of the case hiding 1 or 2 mm under the sides of the case. Ive never understood why the BB gets so much grief for being too thick when you have the Planet ocean.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I went back to spend more time with the FOIS and didn't have any issues with the thickness. The AD then showed me a vintage Omega bracelet they had that would fit it and after seeing it on there well..... I bet you can guess what happened next.

I want to take a minute to shout out a few things.

First- Tourbillon SF was one of the coolest and just chillest watch stores I have been in. No pressure buying and just great polite people who love watches, so def check them out if you're in the area.

Second- I will admit I am a bit of a Rolex fan boy and while I have been interested in Omega for years their watches continually fell below the Rolex watches I was interested in as I looked for "the next watch". However, that all changed today. Now I am def in the honeymoon phase but damn do I love this watch. To me with the watch on the vintage style bracelet it just looks incredible and wears amazing. I typically rotate between a Sub and OP and would say this is more comfortable and definitely more interesting to wear and man I just can't help but smile while looking at it.

So to Omega, I am sorry for not taking you seriously in the past, but boy do you have my attention now :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congrats! The bracelet looks absolutely perfect on the FOIS. Browsing your thread, I was in a similar position. I had always wanted a Speedy Pro and when the 2021 was released and I saw the price hike, I knew it would set me back some time in my ability to acquire but also the fact that I fell in love with the 1861 and would have preferred that. So I jumped on it before the prices jumped on me. These things are strap monsters - I'm normally a bracelet guy, but have a canvas and leather on the way. Really changes the look of the watch.

Again, congrats! Definitely the right decision. As compared to your Rolex's, I feel like compared to Rolex the nice part about a Speedy (especially a FOIS) is that it identifies you as a watch guy. In my experience, the few times I've complimented or initiated a watch conversation when I spot a Sub/YM/OP, I got the impression that the wearer didn't know much about watches and simply bought the Rolex because that's what you do when you have the money. Ex: "What are you wearing?" "It's a Tudor Black Bay." "Never heard of Tudor." :unsure:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again, congrats! Definitely the right decision. As compared to your Rolex's, I feel like compared to Rolex the nice part about a Speedy (especially a FOIS) is that it identifies you as a watch guy. In my experience, the few times I've complimented or initiated a watch conversation when I spot a Sub/YM/OP, I got the impression that the wearer didn't know much about watches and simply bought the Rolex because that's what you do when you have the money. Ex: "What are you wearing?" "It's a Tudor Black Bay." "Never heard of Tudor." :unsure:
I totally agree with you here. I bought my sub & OP before the hype got to this level. It does feel a little strange to be wearing them now with so much monetary hype around them and most people buying them for the reason that you said above.

I think thats another reason why I am into the Omega and just feel good wearing it. It's a great watch with amazing history and isn't caught up in the kind of hype that Rolex is right now.

Just so we're clear, my like was also for Five Guys. My pops and I regularly meet there for lunch.
Only way to celebrate ;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
I don't see the love for the FOIS diminishing anytime soon, unless we see a 3861-based one, and even then I don't see Omega offering it at a remotely comparable price point.

And it's more a FOTY than FOTM watch . It was always a sleeper watch with a lot of love from the cognoscenti and if anything that love has now mainstreamed. Sure, there's more than 15,000 of them out there, but it's such a charming and versatile piece, works brilliantly on bracelets and straps, and it's going to be on the Omega Faves lists for a long time. One of the very few modern Omegas that looks like a safe bet to me, but who knows?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't see the love for the FOIS diminishing anytime soon, unless we see a 3861-based one, and even then I don't see Omega offering it at a remotely comparable price point.

And it's more a FOTY than FOTM watch . It was always a sleeper watch with a lot of love from the cognoscenti and if anything that love has now mainstreamed. Sure, there's more than 15,000 of them out there, but it's such a charming and versatile piece, works brilliantly on bracelets and straps, and it's going to be on the Omega Faves lists for a long time. One of the very few modern Omegas that looks like a safe bet to me, but who knows?
Ya I am loving it. Its crazy on the vintage bracelet it feels 100% like a vintage watch. I keep thinking it is one and have to remind myself that its a solid brand new watch haha. Haven't experienced this before with a watch and I gotta say its pretty fun.

Funny how long it takes sometimes to just pull the trigger on a watch. I remember sitting in my car before going into the AD and thinking about a Hodinkee article I read that said something along the lines "sometimes you just gotta buy the watch and live with it to know how you feel about it". Remembering that article is what ultimately pushed me to just do it and i'm glad I did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts