WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my quest to learn about the Speedmaster Pro before and after I bought it while waiting for it to arrive. i read a lot of posts about folks that ether are afraid to buy a Speedy pro or to wear one they own a lot due to the fear that it could get damaged. others will not wear them because of the 50m water resistance.

Why is this? the Speedy Pro is a durable watch that got subjected to a large amount of G-Force on rocket launches. It also was at the moon. i would think that the watch would survive most folks daily wearing it on earth. Scratches happen to any any watch.

I get a big kick out of the water resistance "issue" 50m is actually good enough for most folks daily use. I used a 30m Casio watch for years and it had no dire issues with water(I still have it). 50m is good enough for my needs. The most water this watch will see is by the following:
1. Getting caught in the rain (happened to me last Friday)
2. Washing my hands
3. washing dishes
4. Sweat
5. washing the watch off to get rid of sweat or other grime
6. Snow
That is the extent of my water experiences while wearing it. I don't shower with a watch or swim with a watch on (even my divers)

I suspect most folks are like me when it comes to water with a watch. So I feel the Speedy Pro is a good daily watch

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I wore my Speedmster daily, then gave it to my son
it is a durable timepiece and I had no issues ever

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I use mine as a daily wear, I don't see how it is any more fragile than other mechanical watches out there. The most frequently cited concern is the water resistance, but I will never submerge it beyond the 3m depth at the local pool, so it's not a concern for me.

May be for those that go diving on a regular basis, the WR rating might be an actual issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The Speedmaster along with the Seamaster may be the most seen decent watches on the street at least for me. Yes the Sub may match or even beat them but since many of them were surely fakes I'd still say that the mentioned Omegas are the 2 most seen watches for me.

Unless it's a special/limited/vintage edition I kinda doubt that many people buy these as safe queens.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The Speedmaster Professional is my daily "do everything" watch. It is a great watch to beat the crap out of. And I mean that in the most respectful way possible.

It has that retro racing chronograph charm. Every watch that you are going to wear daily and you are not particularly careful with is going to develop signs of use. That wear and tear looks good on this style of watch in my opinion. I have other watches where I hate it if they'd get dinged up, but I am pretty OK about it on the Speedmaster. A brandnew Speedmaster professional on your wrist looks awesome. A Speedmaster you have been wearing constantly for a decade looks almost even better (in my opinion). It also has a tried and true movement. Regardless of the chronograph complication, this is a movement that is known to be quite robust.

Overall the Speedmaster to me really is a watch for daily use and something about keeping it pristine would almost go against its utilitarian nature and history. But maybe I'm odd that way.

The water resistance is enough for normal use. But I agree that the Speedmaster is not the best watch to wear daily if you are always in or near water.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 20 year old speedmaster automatic that gets worn all the time. there are a few knocks and bumps on the case but that's what happen when you wear a watch. I think a lot of the people who are afraid to wear them are the ones that deep in the back of their mind know they will be moving the watch on and want to keep as much value in it as possible.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Difficult to fathom,....

If you own an automobile that you're "Afraid" to drive,...Sell it.
If you own a motorcycle that you're "Afraid" to ride,...Sell it.
With few exceptions if you own an items that you're "Afraid" to utilize for it's intended use rid yourself of it,..... something's not right in your life.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Unfortunately there is a ton of misinformation that keeps getting repeated on forums. This has lead lots of people to believe that a Speedmaster Pro has virtually no water resistance, which is of course completely false. If it's well maintained, it has actually 50 m of water resistance, meaning it can go down to 50 m depth.

This same sort of misinformation is why some people are afraid to wind it fully, thinking it will damage something.

These are the two most common misconceptions about this watch that I see, and try to correct, about this watch.

·
Registered
21,009 Posts
All the things on your list are good with a 5atm WR watch so no problems.

But as others have said only buy a watch that you will wear, otherwise save your money for something else in life that you will use and enjoy.

No safe queens in my house.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Unfortunately there is a ton of misinformation that keeps getting repeated on forums. This has lead lots of people to believe that a Speedmaster Pro has virtually no water resistance, which is of course completely false. If it's well maintained, it has actually 50 m of water resistance, meaning it can go down to 50 m depth.

This same sort of misinformation is why some people are afraid to wind it fully, thinking it will damage something.

These are the two most common misconceptions about this watch that I see, and try to correct, about this watch.
I've found that mechanical watches have as many myths and misconceptions posted online as cars do. Go to any car forum and read some of the posts on proper maintenance, things you shouldn't do, etc. I'm glad to see your refreshing posts on here and other forums dispelling rumors. The water resistance topic is one I'll never understand. Why people think that 50m means no water resistance is beyond me. 50m is 50m. That's a pretty decent amount of water resistance if you imagine being able to swim as far down as 50m.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
It's funny. I tried Speedy Pros twice, my local watchmaker let me try them (sequentially, with a gap in between) on spec. Absolutely beautiful watch, no doubt.

I admit I babied it far more than any of my other watches. Irrational, I know, I mean it's been in freaking outer space for crying out loud...but for whatever weird reason I wanted to treat it with kid gloves.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's funny. I tried Speedy Pros twice, my local watchmaker let me try them (sequentially, with a gap in between) on spec. Absolutely beautiful watch, no doubt.

I admit I babied it far more than any of my other watches. Irrational, I know, I mean it's been in freaking outer space for crying out loud...but for whatever weird reason I wanted to treat it with kid gloves.
Was it because of its looks ? More like fragile looking ?

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I love mine but I'm also guilty of babying it. I wear my watches with great care but even so, I'm extra careful with the Speedy. After a year, it barely has any imperfections and I'd like to keep it as nice as possible. I'm working on it wearing it more - I just admire it too much to hurt it! :)

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Was it because of its looks ? More like fragile looking ?
I can't put my finger on it.

It wasn't the hesalite crystal, I have other watches with one and I think it's fantastic. Love the look, and a cinch to polish. It wasn't a question of Omega's legendary reliability, or mechanical watches in general...I have and Omega 300M Seamaster GMT I wore 24/7 during assignments to two war zones and it's till keeping chronometer spec time after 17 years.

I'd tell myself "dude...it's been to the moon" but still avoid doorjambs and zippers with considerably more vigilance than I normally do.

Does "it felt as if the watch was wearing me" make any sense?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The watch is meant to be worn regularly. That said, although it may be fine, I won't submerge my 50m watches (I take them off while showering/washing dishes). But, there are countless posts already on that topic...
The Speedy Pro is a good daily wearer...

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
The watch is meant to be worn regularly. That said, although it may be fine, I won't submerge my 50m watches (I take them off while showering/washing dishes). But, there are countless posts already on that topic...
The Speedy Pro is a good daily wearer...
What you choose to do as an individual is up to you, so if you don't feel comfortable submerging any watch for any reason, I'm good with that. No one is saying you can't baby the watch to keep it looking nice, or not to risk anything, as everyone has their own individual tolerances for such things.

The capability of the watch though, is not really in question, so when people spread false information saying 50m is only "splash proof" that's where I take issue with things...

Cheers, Al

1 - 20 of 109 Posts