WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nice! 3 years in? Looks pretty new. Good on you for keeping it in mint condition.
Thanks man! I'm not hard on my watches but definitely don't baby them either. The Speedy is more than capable of being a daily watch. Happy my watch is still in excellent condition but a ding here/there wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks for all the replies. I am glad folks wear these all the time. I just put a scratch on the case at the 9 o'clock side on mine while not watching what i was doing. It bothered me for 10 seconds and then life went on.

How are the pushers? I have read a few posts about the pusher caps coming loose as the little screw that attaches them to the pusher backs out and comes loose in the case and the cap and spring pop off.

I am not too worried as I have a warranty till 2023 so if it falls out then, Omega can fix it

·
Registered
44 Posts
I never pressure test any of my watches outside of a regular (usually full) service. Then again I don't go swimming that often these days, not that it would likely change anything. I never serviced my 17 year old Citizen Eco-Drive and used that as a basher and submerged it in water without any hesitation. It finally stopped working for other reasons relating to a failed attempt at battery (well capacitor) change.

Oh no, don't buy ceramic because it's brittle and expensive to fix. That's what insurance is for! Would you hesitate to insure a £10k car for £100 a year? Yet many would when it comes to their watches. I wear my watch every day, almost all the time but only use my car (well, when I had one) a few times a week for a few hours at most.

Bottom line: Don't buy anything you can't afford to insure or repair. Stick to that and you won't have any hesitation in buying and wearing whatever watch you can afford.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
How are the pushers? I have read a few posts about the pusher caps coming loose as the little screw that attaches them to the pusher backs out and comes loose in the case and the cap and spring pop off.
This happens on occasion, but the pushers are pretty secure if installed properly. Here's what a pusher change looks like...the screws you mention can be seen on the inside of the case:

In this instance, this is a vintage watch and the seals inside the pushers have turned to black goop...

Once the pusher caps are removed, I can remove the pusher tubes:

New pushers:

The pushers are disassemble for installation:

The case is cleaned, then the new tubers have Loctite thread locking compound applied to the threads before they are screwed into the case:

I also apply the same thread locking compound to the threads inside the pusher cap - this way there is less chance that the screw is going to back out as you have described:

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
717 Posts
Unless $5,000, or whatever you paid for the watch, is a lot of money to you so you want to keep it pristine, I say wear it however much you want. The watch is very durable and you just have to accept the fact that it will get scratches.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hello Archer

Thanks much for your fine explanation on this. So how common is the loose pusher screw? I have read on the Omega forum that there are instances of this happening with 6 month old watches and also on less then 3 year old watches

Just the luck of the draw I suppose?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Hello Archer

Thanks much for your fine explanation on this. So how common is the loose pusher screw? I have read on the Omega forum that there are instances of this happening with 6 month old watches and also on less then 3 year old watches

Just the luck of the draw I suppose?
Sorry I don't have statistics that would indicate this. What I can say is that for every one instance you see on forums there are many thousands that don't come loose. My advice is to stop worrying and enjoy your watch...

·
Registered
403 Posts
So in my quest to learn about the Speedmaster Pro before and after I bought it while waiting for it to arrive. i read a lot of posts about folks that ether are afraid to buy a Speedy pro or to wear one they own a lot due to the fear that it could get damaged. others will not wear them because of the 50m water resistance.

Why is this? the Speedy Pro is a durable watch that got subjected to a large amount of G-Force on rocket launches. It also was at the moon. i would think that the watch would survive most folks daily wearing it on earth. Scratches happen to any any watch.

I get a big kick out of the water resistance "issue" 50m is actually good enough for most folks daily use. I used a 30m Casio watch for years and it had no dire issues with water(I still have it). 50m is good enough for my needs. The most water this watch will see is by the following:
1. Getting caught in the rain (happened to me last Friday)
2. Washing my hands
3. washing dishes
4. Sweat
5. washing the watch off to get rid of sweat or other grime
6. Snow
That is the extent of my water experiences while wearing it. I don't shower with a watch or swim with a watch on (even my divers)

I suspect most folks are like me when it comes to water with a watch. So I feel the Speedy Pro is a good daily watch
I promise I mean this sincerely but I just don’t understand the point of babying a watch you intend to wear regularly. It just seems ridiculous.

A Speedmaster Pro is an expensive watch - to pay all that money to worry about it seems like anything but money well spent. So to me, I would very respectfully suggest that you make your peace with knocking, banging and dinging it, because if it accompanied you through your life, those things are going to happen.

I agree with your rationale - the watch got beat up by its more illustrious users and survived just fine. For what you have planned, I wouldn’t hesitate to wear the watch.

My daily wearer for the lat twenty years has been a diver from either Omega or Rolex and gasp I dived with them!! They stood up fine to the diving.

These things are well made, in most cases the barrier is in the mind of the wearer.

I hope you buy it - they’re great watches and I’m sure it will give you some happiness.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I promise I mean this sincerely but I just don’t understand the point of babying a watch you intend to wear regularly. It just seems ridiculous.

A Speedmaster Pro is an expensive watch - to pay all that money to worry about it seems like anything but money well spent. So to me, I would very respectfully suggest that you make your peace with knocking, banging and dinging it, because if it accompanied you through your life, those things are going to happen.

I agree with your rationale - the watch got beat up by its more illustrious users and survived just fine. For what you have planned, I wouldn’t hesitate to wear the watch.

My daily wearer for the lat twenty years has been a diver from either Omega or Rolex and gasp I dived with them!! They stood up fine to the diving.

These things are well made, in most cases the barrier is in the mind of the wearer.

I hope you buy it - they’re great watches and I’m sure it will give you some happiness.
I agree with you. I brought up the question because while reading pages of Speedmaster related info and posts on this forum and the Omega.net forum right before I bought the watch and while waiting for it to arrive, I kept coming across posts about folks that that ether were hesitating to buy the watch or had bought the watch and made it a safe queen because they were afraid of damage or the water resistance was under 100m

I thought that funny as the watch was on the moon and in space. it was knocked about against things in the command module so this watch can take its knocks.

I plan on wearing it normally. I put a scratch on the bezel of my Sub a few weeks after buying it in 1995 and that scratch (and others )is still on the watch all these years later.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Sorry I don't have statistics that would indicate this. What I can say is that for every one instance you see on forums there are many thousands that don't come loose. My advice is to stop worrying and enjoy your watch...
Thanks for your reply. I was just wondering if it was a common occurrence. I am not too worried. My Omega warranty runs out in 2023 (originally bought by former owner at Omega AD 11/18) so if the pusher cap falls out then I hand it off to the local AD with the stamped card and tell them to get it fixed

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is a weirdly persistent topic considering what the watch went through to get to where it is. :giggle:

I guess people keep harping on the 50m WR thing for whatever reason. Just keep the gaskets alive and don't use the pushers in the water and you're good. Btw, that applies to almost any and every watch out there too. ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
It was my first luxury watch and I wore it as a daily no problem. I think people underestimate the 50m of water resistance. It can definitely handle the water thrown at it, including downpour. I wouldn't swim with it, although plenty of people have.

The hesalite does scratch up but you can always polywatch that. Another negative would be that it is a chronograph, so if anything goes wrong the repair bills will be costly.

I've seen pics of absolutely abused Speedys on the forums and they can take a licking. Personally, I do prefer a diver as a daily but the Speedy can absolutely work as your daily driver.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Rain should be fine. I was caught in the rain the other day while cycling.
Cycle to work daily with my fois no issue at all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I purchased my 1969 Speedmaster Professional 861 cal brand new 50 years ago. I wore it through High School, the Army Military Police Corp., college and for many years after that. Believe me when I say this is one tough watch. After so many years of great service, this year I sent it to Omega Switzerland to have the movement placed in a brand new case with all the trimmings. It was really scratched up from all the use. She looks brand new and I still wear it with great pride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've been very tempted lately to sell my Sinn 356 and add a Speedy. I really shouldn't be on this thread...

Reactions: Mickey®

·
Registered
817 Posts
I purchased my 1969 Speedmaster Professional 861 cal brand new 50 years ago. I wore it through High School, the Army Military Police Corp., college and for many years after that. Believe me when I say this is one tough watch. After so many years of great service, this year I sent it to Omega Switzerland to have the movement placed in a brand new case with all the trimmings. It was really scratched up from all the use. She looks brand new and I still wear it with great pride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WOW, what a cool story! Resurrection indeed. Still have the original case?

Reactions: crankytime
41 - 60 of 109 Posts