WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've found that mechanical watches have as many myths and misconceptions posted online as cars do. Go to any car forum and read some of the posts on proper maintenance, things you shouldn't do, etc. I'm glad to see your refreshing posts on here and other forums dispelling rumors. The water resistance topic is one I'll never understand. Why people think that 50m means no water resistance is beyond me. 50m is 50m. That's a pretty decent amount of water resistance if you imagine being able to swim as far down as 50m.
Please remember that advertised depth ratings are conventions. 50 m water resistance means nowhere near 50 m down under. It’s a convention, an international system of classifying water resistance - you’ll find plenty of info on this on this forum, also on the seiko forum. Actually 50m means you can swim, shower, wash hands, and VERY shallow snorkeling. 100m WR just means increase a notch your dive depth.
Only if you go to “Divers” ISO standard you get proper dive depth WR, being it 150 or 200, or beyond.
With all that said, use it wisely and thoroughly, make it your daily companion, use it to check the freakin’ time (not the cell phone!), use the chrono, use it!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cool story, love that watch on that strap. Making me want to buy one soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I've gone in a pool with a newly serviced Speedy even though I didn't mean to b/c I wear it on leather strap (HATE the bracelet). Zero issues.

My vote is - Defiantly a daily wearer.

Wash hands and rain? LOL Who would buy a watch that couldn't get splashed?

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Please remember that advertised depth ratings are conventions. 50 m water resistance means nowhere near 50 m down under. It’s a convention, an international system of classifying water resistance - you’ll find plenty of info on this on this forum, also on the seiko forum. Actually 50m means you can swim, shower, wash hands, and VERY shallow snorkeling. 100m WR just means increase a notch your dive depth.
Only if you go to “Divers” ISO standard you get proper dive depth WR, being it 150 or 200, or beyond.
With all that said, use it wisely and thoroughly, make it your daily companion, use it to check the freakin’ time (not the cell phone!), use the chrono, use it!

Nope, as @Archer will tell you, the Omega depth ratings are just that, depth ratings. Meaning the 50m WR is fine for pretty much any general water activity you want to do, outside of actual diving.

The idea that 50m means washing your hands is an internet myth, helped along by watch companies that want to sell giant divers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nope, as @Archer will tell you, the Omega depth ratings are just that, depth ratings. Meaning the 50m WR is fine for pretty much any general water activity you want to do, outside of actual diving.

The idea that 50m means washing your hands is an internet myth, helped along by watch companies that want to sell giant divers.
Then it doesn’t add up - if 50 m were actual 50m, it would include the majority of recreational dive - you even have to decompress if you spend too much time at 50m. So, “any activity outside of actual diving” seems a contradiction.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Then it doesn’t add up - if 50 m were actual 50m, it would include the majority of recreational dive - you even have to decompress if you spend too much time at 50m. So, “any activity outside of actual diving” seems a contradiction.

Good watches like Omega are waaaaaaaaay over spec'd. Omega says you can swim with your Speedmaster. I'll believe them.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wear my 69 Speedy Pro on my track days and I would wear it when going out, you know, when that was a thing but otherwise I've got other watches that are better suited to some of my more rough and tumble activities.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I feel like anyone that mentions the 50m does so in perfect conditions. As in dip my hand in water and don’t move it. Personally a watch without a screw down crown/pushers just wouldn’t work. The second I horse around, there’s a chance something can go wrong

·
Registered
885 Posts
So in my quest to learn about the Speedmaster Pro before and after I bought it while waiting for it to arrive. i read a lot of posts about folks that ether are afraid to buy a Speedy pro or to wear one they own a lot due to the fear that it could get damaged. others will not wear them because of the 50m water resistance.
really? a speedmaster is even good for swimming. just dont operate the chronograph under water.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I feel like anyone that mentions the 50m does so in perfect conditions. As in dip my hand in water and don’t move it. Personally a watch without a screw down crown/pushers just wouldn’t work. The second I horse around, there’s a chance something can go wrong
Hardly perfect conditions. As I've mentioned on various posts on this and other forums, I swam with my Omega X-33 Gen2 many times in many countries over the 8 years when it was my main watch, oceans and pools. I don't dive so I've never had the chance to take any watch deeper than few meters. That sucker is rated for a "mere" 30m.

I've wrestled and thrown my son (in a playful way...mostly) around on the surface and underwater while wearing it. It has a push-pull crown and 4 pushers. While I have never pushed them intentionally while submerged, since they're not designed for that I have accidentally pressed them on many occasions. Number of leaks in 15 years of ownership? Zero. Using pushers underwater is of course a risk and not recommended, at all. But will they automatically leak when pressed? Nope.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts

I’m not the first one to suggest that Archer should have a Speedmaster/depth rating thread as a Sticky. But it would sure minimize a lot of regurgitated myths about “wimpy” Speedmasters.

Until then, thanks for posting !

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've gone in a pool with a newly serviced Speedy even though I didn't mean to b/c I wear it on leather strap (HATE the bracelet). Zero issues.

My vote is - Defiantly a daily wearer.

Wash hands and rain? LOL Who would buy a watch that couldn't get splashed?
Agreed, it’s meant to be worn and can easily handle it.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
If you actually look at what Omega (the people who actually make the watches) say, it directly contradicts your assertion:

Omega rates their watches for the actual depth that they can go to, so unless you have a very deep pool, swimming with a Speedmaster is perfectly fine, provided the watch has been properly maintained.

Note that depth ratings and watches certified for diving, are two completely different things. A "dive watch" has specific features in addition to depth rating, that make it suitable for diving. The Speedmaster can withstand 50m of water, but is not a dive watch.

Just to explain, it's not the fault of people who see this claim about the values not be representative. This is partly the industry's fault, as they haven't made things as clear as they could have. Add in blogs and sellers who publish their own charts for their own reasons, which state the same thing over and over again, and it's no wonder that people are confused.

I've had this discussion probably a thousand times over the years, but misinformation persists. I've actually pressure tested Speedmaster cases well beyond the 50m mark, and they passed fine. But people are firm in their beliefs that it's not suitable for anything but a splash. People getting caught up with depth ratings are often missing the point that the vast majority of watches that leak, do so because they have not been properly maintained, not because they went "too deep" or someone has the underwater arm speed of Aquaman and can make the "dynamic pressure" argument. It's simply because the seals don't get changed often enough.

And I do expect the usual suspects to show up to argue this all over again...I'm not biting...

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
818 Posts
I did the same thing 3 years ago. Had a Sinn 356 first and then the Speedy came along. The Sinn was sold off soon after.
Very cool. Any regrets? I'm hesitant mainly because of the hand winding and size difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have avoided submerging my moon watch, but Archer's post has made me feel better about that.

The only thing I don't like about mine is the hesalite and how it picks up scratches. If I had to do it all over, I might have chosen a Speedy version with a sapphire crystal. But then it wouldn't be a moon-watch... .

·
Registered
253 Posts
Very cool. Any regrets? I'm hesitant mainly because of the hand winding and size difference.
No regrets at all. While I felt the Sinn was an awesome watch and an excellent value, the Speedy is so much better in all regards (heritage, fit and finish etc). It better be for 3x the cost!

·
Registered
950 Posts
I laugh every time I see one of your posts! Well played...

·
Registered
44 Posts
...Add in blogs and sellers who publish their own charts for their own reasons, which state the same thing over and over again, and it's no wonder that people are confused.
Like when watch dealers publish stuff like: https://www.chronext.co.uk/journal/buyers-guide/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-water-resistance-of-your-watch

30 metres is not the same as 30 metres. If the manufacturer writes that the watch is water resistant to 30 metres, this simply means that the model can withstand the theoretical pressure at this water depth - 3 bar. A bar corresponds to the pressure of one kilogram on a square centimetre large surface, if the force acts vertically on this surface. In practice, however, the pressure in the water varies enormously. As a result of arm movements or jumps, a pressure of more than 3 bar can occur and thus also the risk of water damage. Therefore, a watch that is water resistant to 50 metres should not be worn when swimming.

o_O

61 - 80 of 109 Posts