WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Like when watch dealers publish stuff like: https://www.chronext.co.uk/journal/buyers-guide/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-water-resistance-of-your-watch

30 metres is not the same as 30 metres. If the manufacturer writes that the watch is water resistant to 30 metres, this simply means that the model can withstand the theoretical pressure at this water depth - 3 bar. A bar corresponds to the pressure of one kilogram on a square centimetre large surface, if the force acts vertically on this surface. In practice, however, the pressure in the water varies enormously. As a result of arm movements or jumps, a pressure of more than 3 bar can occur and thus also the risk of water damage. Therefore, a watch that is water resistant to 50 metres should not be worn when swimming.

o_O

This video is pretty informative on this topic, skip to around 19:30

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I love wearing it but I’m very careful with it- not because it can’t take a beating, it can take a lot as is well documented - I just want to keep it nice for my son:)

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Like when watch dealers publish stuff like: https://www.chronext.co.uk/journal/buyers-guide/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-water-resistance-of-your-watch

30 metres is not the same as 30 metres. If the manufacturer writes that the watch is water resistant to 30 metres, this simply means that the model can withstand the theoretical pressure at this water depth - 3 bar. A bar corresponds to the pressure of one kilogram on a square centimetre large surface, if the force acts vertically on this surface. In practice, however, the pressure in the water varies enormously. As a result of arm movements or jumps, a pressure of more than 3 bar can occur and thus also the risk of water damage. Therefore, a watch that is water resistant to 50 metres should not be worn when swimming.

o_O
Yeah, this is straight up BS that unfortunately gets spread over and over.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, this is straight up BS that unfortunately gets spread over and over.
Yep :mad:. When I first read it my first thought was, "WTF?".

Flik Flak watches are 30m WR without a screw down crown. Their website states:

"Machine washable 40C: Flik Falk can survive a normal 40C cycle! Just pop it in a sock and it's ready to go." - I tested this several times on my son's old Flik Flak and never bothered putting it in a sock...oops. Never failed.

"Water-resistant 3 bar: Flik Flak watches are water resistant up to 3 bars, so no excuses for avoiding a shower! Kids can of course swim and splash about in water!"

·
Registered
528 Posts
I take mine off for hockey games, but usually just leave it on under my glove for practice. I've also worn it reffing and used it when the scoreboard was out.

Reactions: rfortson

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just bought one. Intend to wear it. Probably not in the lake though...but sounds like i could!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wear it daily. It's a great daily watch. I switch off with my PO 2500.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
I beat the hell out of my 3750.50. It was gifted to me by my lovely wife for our wedding in 2011 when we were 28 and dead broke. It has been through just about everything: the office, camping, vacationing, international travel, too much to drink... and all combinations therein. Stood up like a champ. These things aren’t one-offs. They can be fixed. The stories/experiences they have/will live(d) through are more than their material worth. Wear them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I get a big kick out of the water resistance "issue" 50m is actually good enough for most folks daily use. I used a 30m Casio watch for years and it had no dire issues with water(I still have it). 50m is good enough for my needs.
50 m is actually deeper than the PADI "Deep Diver" certification which is a max depth of 130 ft, which is about 40 m. So, I can SCUBA dive to my max certified depth of 130 ft (DEEP diver) and still be under 50 m. Tech divers with trimix and lots of training can go deeper, but for the vast majority of recreational divers like me actually aren't certified to take their Moonwatch deeper than 50 m.

I suppose that freedivers can go deeper, but freedivers are also crazy. (My apologies if there are any freedivers who happen to read this.)

I would never take my Moonwatch SCUBA diving; it's certainly not certified for that. But I'm not sure I would take any of my wristwatches SCUBA diving. (Well, I would like to purchase one of those Soviet Zlatoust diver watches someday, and I probably would take that diving.) I use a Suunto dive computer and that kind of makes wrist-watches redundant.

But a splash of water or even dropping your Speedmaster in a pool isn't going to hurt the watch at all.

·
Registered
244 Posts
These things aren’t one-offs. They can be fixed.
This reminds me of when we were filming at a very nice private residence for a TV series pilot, I noticed the homeowner had a Warhol right behind a door the crew kept swinging open as they did load-in. I asked if we could move the artwork somewhere else so it wouldn't get damaged, and he nonchalantly responded, "Nah, it's fine. That's the good thing about Warhol, he made more than one."

Reactions: GrouchoM

·
Registered
433 Posts
This reminds me of when we were filming at a very nice private residence for a TV series pilot, I noticed the homeowner had a Warhol right behind a door the crew kept swinging open as they did load-in. I asked if we could move the artwork somewhere else so it wouldn't get damaged, and he nonchalantly responded, "Nah, it's fine. That's the good thing about Warhol, he made more than one."
Hahaha. Wow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I beat the hell out of my 3750.50. It was gifted to me by my lovely wife for our wedding in 2011 when we were 28 and dead broke. It has been through just about everything: the office, camping, vacationing, international travel, too much to drink... and all combinations therein. Stood up like a champ. These things aren’t one-offs. They can be fixed. The stories/experiences they have/will live(d) through are more than their material worth. Wear them. View attachment 15374824
Right on! Btw, that bracelet is pretty cool!

·
Registered
287 Posts
7/365 - That’s how often I wear my speedy.

Hidden in the swirl reflection effect below are battle scars (mostly from getting tackled my 5-yr old son):

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I’ll put it this way, I’ll always be weary of a watch without a screw down crown. Whether that’s a rating of 50m or 100m or whatever. Had a newish Rado some years ago that had the 50m rating and no screw down. Watch leaked the one time I took it swimming. Whether the crown snagged on something or whatever, it happened and it was a few hundred down the crapper. I get all of what Archer is saying but I’ve been burned before 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I’ll put it this way, I’ll always be weary of a watch without a screw down crown. Whether that’s a rating of 50m or 100m or whatever. Had a newish Rado some years ago that had the 50m rating and no screw down. Watch leaked the one time I took it swimming. Whether the crown snagged on something or whatever, it happened and it was a few hundred down the crapper. I get all of what Archer is saying but I’ve been burned before 🤷‍♂️
I can show you plenty of watches with screw down crowns, non-screw down crowns, high depth ratings, and low depth ratings that have all leaked. They all have one thing in common - they didn't leak because they were taken deeper than they were rated for. They leaked because they weren't maintained.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What does that even mean. If a watch is young enough to have never needed a service and has never seen salt water and corrosion, what would a reasonable person do to maintain it?

My issue with the Speedmaster is not the rating but the crown and pushers. There are Speedmasters with 100m rating just like the Daytona. But with both watches being new and all things equal, I’ll feel more comfortable with the screwdown

81 - 100 of 109 Posts