WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

folks with automatics, how often do you wind your watch?

25K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  TickTalk 
#1 ·
for those with automatic watches that does not have a power reserve indicator, how do you know when you need to manually wind the watch?

would normal everyday activity enough to keep the watch wound?

PS. my job requires me to sit in front of a computer 9 hours+ a day

#4 ·
I work on computers all day and have never wound a watch as long as I have been wearing it - I also take my watch off every night when I go to bed. So the only time I wind a watch is when I change to a new one that hasn't been worn for a couple of days.

#9 ·
I keep them on a Winder, so not a problem for me.

#10 ·
When I only had one auto, I never had to wind it even though I'd let it sit occasionaly while I wore one of my vintages. Everyday activity was more than sufficient to keep it running. Now that I have two that I switch off fairly regularly, I have to wind/set each one if I've let it sit more than two days.

Jeannie

#18 ·
Agreed. I've never had an automatic run down on me while I was wearing it. I wouldn't worry about the desk job/automatic combo, you'll be fine. Just wear the watch at work and outside of work, don't take it off when you get home and let it sit for 12 hours until the morning, and you'll be ok. Its all the little things you do like walk around, wash your hands, driving in the car, that also winds up the watch.

#12 ·

It depends on

1) the watch

2) what your normal everyday activity consists of

If you read in the forums (beyond this thread) you'll find the experiences of some of the members here require that they manually wind their watches. I personally know of a few people that need to do this as well.

For point #1, watches based on the ETA 2892A2 movement seem to suffer from inefficient winding, for instance my GF's father's watch with ETA 2895 doesn't wind sufficiently from his daily activities to keep running overnight. Also watches requiring service may wind less efficiently. Rolexes and ETA 2824s in good shape usually seem to wind fine on most people.

-s-

#14 ·
i wind it whenever i want to wear it (after it has stopped), otherwise, daily activities will keep it going.

i'm pretty sure the Speedy Date has a V7750 (modified?!?) in it, and it does not required winding with your daily activities.:-!

#16 ·
for those with automatic watches that does not have a power reserve indicator, how do you know when you need to manually wind the watch?

As a desk bound professional computer jock I have found that there is more than enough arm movement to keep automatics wound.

#17 ·
Agreed! Professional data wranglers typically have *no* problem keeping an automatic wound.

Unfortunately, just about every close call I've ever had nearly damaging a fine watch occurred, you guessed it, at my desk. Who knew keyboards, mice, monitors, and office desks could be so dangerous?

#19 ·
I only wind them when I rotate>>>>

usually, I let my watches wind down. I don't have any super complications, so no winder.

I rotate by placing my current watch back in its box and then pull another watch out its box.

Since all my watches are automatics, just wearing them keeps them wound.

I usually rotate every 1-2 weeks. Recently, I had one watch on for 3 weeks, which is a record.

#23 ·
From experience, I've found that by rocking the watch back and forth in an arcing motion, using your wrist as the 'pivot' for about 2 minutes (if you have free time, that is!) is able to keep the movement adequately 'charged' for at least 24-30 hours. BTW, the wrist movement should be between 1- 2 oscillations per second.

So I rock my 'babies' to sleep every night and again for 1 minute in the morning just in case! :roll:

This is done on those watches I intend to wear during the week and don't like to keep using the crown to adjust the day and date!

Do wind the watch via the crown if necessary, but I prefer to rock them coz my watches ROCKS! :-d.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.