WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally saved (and sold) enough to buy a Rolex that I've wanted I think for at least 15 years (sub or seadweller). HOWEVER, with all that's going on these days, is it foolish to make such a purchase? Should I hold off until the skies clear, wait to see if prices drop, etc?

I know this is a ridiculous question but I have gotten great input from you all on WUS before and thought I woudl see what you all had to say.

Thanks for entertaining the question and I hope everyone is safe and healthy!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Yes. It's foolish to make any big ticket purchase now especially when panic buying folks are spending their savings stocking up on "end of the world essential items".
U may never know that big slab of beef or pork or mutton as well as that bird of chicken or turkey will eventually priced up to how high as panicking continues.
It's best to save ur "ROLEX FUND" for something else to compensate that spike during this period as well as upcoming days.

Reactions: Tony A.H

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with the poster above. What's another few months?... If the purchase isn't perfect then trying to fix stuff will be a nightmare and quite rightly not prioritised in grander scheme.
Best of luck with that patience !

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Just a turn to the other side of the coin...availability and choice may come easier.
So notwithstanding the prudent advice posted above..mate personally i would definitely buy when the model you desire presents,without hesitation or regret and enjoy.
All the best
Dave

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you can still live comfortably without that money, buy it when you find your chosen model available.

If it's a 'stretch' purchase, don't.

If you do buy it, be prepared to not feel comfortable wearing it among family and friends who are doing it tougher than you in difficult times.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Just buy it, this will all be gone in a few months. Cheer yourself up

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I've finally saved (and sold) enough to buy a Rolex that I've wanted I think for at least 15 years (sub or seadweller). HOWEVER, with all that's going on these days, is it foolish to make such a purchase? Should I hold off until the skies clear, wait to see if prices drop, etc?
Are you buying new at retail price from a boutique? If so, I don’t think it will matter if you buy now or later as I doubt prices of either of those watches will decrease significantly. If you are buying grey or second hand, then prices may drop; however, why not consider a purchase from a seller in a country where their currency has depreciated significantly against your own. They might have had a local currency figure in mind, and now that can be met with far fewer of your currency’s dollars.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
If you are not going to need that cash for at least 12 months and you can buy at msrp then definitely buy. Prices are dropping but they wont go lower than msrp. Never pay more than list now as in the next few months you’ll see a lot for sale.
Only you can decide how sure your financial situation is but you don’t want to be one of the people struggling to get rid because they over stretched.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congratulations for saving up to 15 years. I think that in times of uncertainty it doesn’t hurt to wait for another 3-5 months until things settle down. Plus, it would be a memorable purchase when you get a Rolex after the pandemic dies down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,715 Posts
I've finally saved (and sold) enough to buy a Rolex that I've wanted I think for at least 15 years (sub or seadweller).
Congratulations! If you’ve waited 15 years, then don’t let this COVID19 scare stop you from getting on with life!!!

with all that's going on these days, is it foolish to make such a purchase?
No, you need to read the market. The businesses with no financial power to hang in there will be letting go of their stockpile just to keep themselves afloat. That is the time to strike!

Should I hold off until the skies clear, wait to see if prices drop, etc?
By then, you would have missed the boat. The train would have left the station, the ship had sailed, whatever...

The best time to strike is when uncertainty drives the panic selling. Once this has become the new norm, life would get back to normal and prices will stabilise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Honestly...I'd just get it now. Past recessions / financial crises never held back the values of Rolexes and Pateks all these years so I doubt prices will drop...

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you have other savings, if there’s no risk of you losing your job and if you can buy at MSRP, go for it. As you can see though, that’s a lot of ifs. These are unprecedented times we’re living in. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Don't talk about it, don't think about it, just do it mate!!!
All the best
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Congratulations! If you’ve waited 15 years, then don’t let this COVID19 scare stop you from getting on with life!!!

No, you need to read the market. The businesses with no financial power to hang in there will be letting go of their stockpile just to keep themselves afloat. That is the time to strike!

By then, you would have missed the boat. The train would have left the station, the ship had sailed, whatever...

The best time to strike is when uncertainty drives the panic selling. Once this has become the new norm, life would get back to normal and prices will stabilise.
Excellent advices like usual Sir Dogbert, and I would like to join the following advice to yours

Are you buying new at retail price from a boutique? If so, I don’t think it will matter if you buy now or later as I doubt prices of either of those watches will decrease significantly. If you are buying grey or second hand, then prices may drop; however, why not consider a purchase from a seller in a country where their currency has depreciated significantly against your own. They might have had a local currency figure in mind, and now that can be met with far fewer of your currency’s dollars.
Australia is the answer, the AUD is heavily depreciated, and the Aussies Rolex owners have no idea how to use a currency converter

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Hey Panadol...as an Aussie
Get a duck installed..and I got your name right...or should be...
Dave

1 - 20 of 289 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.