WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Re: Similar discussions…

…no problems and no brokerage fees or anything else.
WHY is it such a crapshoot with Fedex? I hate them…

Meanwhile, my watch, sent via DHL on 13-06-07, has been accepted by Canada Post, and is supposed to be "en route to Canada" since 13-06-14…

I guess some Canada Post employee is rowing with it across the North Atlantic right as we speak…

DateTimeLocationDescriptionRetail LocationSignatory Name
2013/06/1409:33DEFRAA,GermanyInternational item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada
08:53DEFRAA,GermanyInternational item processed in origin country
2013/06/0717:13BRUCHSAL,GermanyInternational item mailed in origin country

·
Registered
304 Posts

Just received my Antea KS41--it was shipped Wednesday and I received it around noon Friday. Was charged 5% duty, 13% HST and a $10 ROD fee, not sure what that is but it's a handling fee of some kind. Pretty well exactly what I expected to pay and the speed was great.

Here's a quick pick of a watch that shipped quick from Germany to Canada:

Antea KS41 quick.jpg

Perfect size for my wrist IMHO, the silver dial is very handsome in person. Found the crown a bit hard to wind but it obviously matches the case so I can't imagine it being any other size/shape. Really nice for something a bit dressier, it may well get more wrist time than my MO SE...

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

I just received my brand new, magnificent Chronograph 1938 on alligator, through DHL and Canada Post.

And I had to pay: CAN$Zero! :-d

No duties, no taxes… nothing.

Either it's blind luck, or else, I will receive a bill in the mail…

Shipped on a Friday, June 07, it arrived in Quebec City 18 days later, which is not bad at all.

Thanks to Nina Metsch at Stowa!

·
Registered
282 Posts

I just received my brand new, magnificent Chronograph 1938 on alligator, through DHL and Canada Post.

And I had to pay: CAN$Zero! :-d

No duties, no taxes… nothing.

Either it's blind luck, or else, I will receive a bill in the mail…

Shipped on a Friday, June 07, it arrived in Quebec City 18 days later, which is not bad at all.

Thanks to Nina Metsch at Stowa!
This happened to me too couple of times, but in both cases i received an invoice from Fed Ex in the mail couple of weeks later...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Went with DHL. Mine shipped out on June 12, arrived June 27. I was OK with the wait and was lucky: I paid ZERO dollars upon delivery.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I just had my first Fedex experience. Although it wasn't with Stowa. Long story short, I had to pre-pay the import fees or they wouldn't even let the package leave the sender's country, then when it arrived in Canada they fumbled the shipping and made me drive to the outskirts of the city to pick up the package at their service center in rush hour traffic, then wait 15 minutes because they couldn't confirm if I had paid the fees even though I had a payment confirmation #.

I'm not sure if this is just an isolated incident or what but there is no way I will willingly deal with that company in the future.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Good news for me! My Antea 390 Date was shipped out July 11th by DHL. Surprisingly it was delivered today!

Best of all even though it was shipped express there was no duty or taxes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Taxes and a fedex charge. ~15%.

Same for Me. Watch left Germany on Wednesday, arrived in Canada on Friday, and missed the truck. Is to be delivered the next Monday. FedEx charged me 5% duty, HST, and a $10 'forwarding fee' for paying the duty and tax on my behalf in advance.

This will be my third watch coming from Europe, two from Switzerland via Canada Post, and now on from Germany via FedEx. I've been hit up for taxes and duty on every one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been reading this thread and I'm really hoping to get a consensus - DHL or FedEx? It seems FedEx always hits you with brokerage fees, but DHL can be longer. From those that have ordered recently to Canada, what would you recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It took 4 days for my Antea to arrive by DHL express without any fees.

Even if it takes longer by DHL... you'll have waited at least 3-4 months for your pre-order.. what's another 1-2 weeks when you have a pretty good chance of avoiding 150-250$ in extra charges that Fedex will surely hit you with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well it looks like you get more chance with DHL of not paying any taxes.
With fedex, for sure you will get taxes and maybe duty.

I would suggest DHL, it might take few days longer, but you save $100+++

·
Registered
34 Posts
DHL to Canada does seem the best route. Using a brokerage estimate calculator I'd be looking at $50+ in just brokerage fees regardless of anything else. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I used FedEx for my Flieger but after the shape my box arrived in and the fact the FedEx didn't even know where my package was I will be using DHL my Antes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my Marine Automatic today. Thanks to this thread I had it shipped via DHL to Toronto and did not pay any extra fees. It took 6 days to get here, last Friday to Thursday. Also when I ordered in June the estimate was Mid October, so all in all things couldn't have worked out better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for letting us know, I've told Stowa about the FedEx brokerage fees and they were very interested. They asked me to let them know the final DHL tally once my MO arrives in November.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just ordered my Stowa Antea 390 yesterday. I see a lot of people in this thread suggesting DHL, but how can you select DHL? When I ordered yesterday they automatically charged me $39 EU shipping FedEx to Canada, and there was no option to change it, so how does one go about getting DHL? Also, is the cost of shipping DHL the same or will I have to pay more/reimbursed some?

121 - 140 of 171 Posts