WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Please keep us informed.Did they quote you a different shipping cost than with Fedex?
B.
here is the response:

If you prefer we can of course send your watch with DHL.
Kindly note that delivery with DHL can take longer than delivery with Fedex and we do not have the possibility to track the package
and to be of assistance in case if some information at the customs are needed. ( We do have this possibility with FedEX.)

In general we have very good experience with FedEx .

Please let us know which delivery type you prefer and we will follow your instructions.
I asked for DHL, since I know there is chance it will slide through CAnada Post un-noticed. I've had luck with a C. Ward from the UK sliding under the radar.

That being said, my last order from Stowa in 2011 came in by Fedex with only GST/PST charged.

·
Registered
308 Posts
here is the response:

I asked for DHL, since I know there is chance it will slide through CAnada Post un-noticed. I've had luck with a C. Ward from the UK sliding under the radar.

That being said, my last order from Stowa in 2011 came in by Fedex with only GST/PST charged.
I'm curious about how it plays out. It's nice to have tracking BUT we pay over 30% more than the U.S. dollar now so it's also nice to save where possible. We seem to be just ahead of the free trade deal with Europe for our ordering so that sucks as well. I wish you all the best with your order mr_raider.
B.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm curious about how it plays out. It's nice to have tracking BUT we pay over 30% more than the U.S. dollar now so it's also nice to save where possible. We seem to be just ahead of the free trade deal with Europe for our ordering so that sucks as well. I wish you all the best with your order mr_raider.
B.
Stowa prices are denominated in Euros, not USD. The conversion to CAD if you use paypal.

·
Registered
473 Posts
FYI I just ordered a Seiko from Seiya in Japan. They by EMS Japan Post, who hand over to Canada Post. This time I got flagged at customs. I had to pay GST, PST a 5% duty and a handling fee. The handling fee was only 10$.

If I had used a Us based Seiko dealer, I guess I would have avoided the 5% duty.

Here's my vote for CETA!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
FYI I just ordered a Seiko from Seiya in Japan. They by EMS Japan Post, who hand over to Canada Post. This time I got flagged at customs. I had to pay GST, PST a 5% duty and a handling fee. The handling fee was only 10$.

If I had used a Us based Seiko dealer, I guess I would have avoided the 5% duty.

Here's my vote for CETA!

I think you would still have been hit with duty even through a U.S. based dealer. I believe NAFTA only covers products built in North America although I could be wrong. For German watches though CETA should definitely help :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think you would still have been hit with duty even through a U.S. based dealer. I believe NAFTA only covers products built in North America although I could be wrong. For Swiss and German watches though CETA should definitely help :)
Not Swiss. They are not part of the EU.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Has anyone from Canada had to send a Stowa watch back to Germany for either a warranty issue or for servicing? I’m interested to know what happens when it comes back through customs into Canada? From what I’ve read you’ll likely be assessed GST, HST and excise tax on the value of the watch. However, if you already paid duties when importing the watch you should only be paying duties on the service performed. I’m not sure if it’s worth buying one to deal with Customs Canada should it need to go to STOWA for servicing in the future.

I reached to to STOWA yesterday via email and got this reply. Thought I’d share in case any other Canadians are looking to get a STOWA watch at the moment.

“Thank you for contacting us and your interest in our STOWA - watches.

Kindly be informed that the shipping cost include shipping, packaging and insurance.
Duties, taxes, customs and other fees variate in each country. They have to be paid by each recipient and will be charged directly by FedEx.

With a surcharge of 18,- EUR, we can send out your parcel with DHL instead.

But due to the Corona virus, DHL does not make any shipping to the US or Canada at the moment.
Of course, we can wait until DHL ships again.

In case of service repairs, we would like to ask you to get in touch with your customs directly.
The customs tariff numbers for our watches are
9102 2100 (watches with automatic movements)
9102 2900 (watches with hand winding movements)

Until today, we have experienced no negative feedback from our customers in Canada.

For any further questions or information please do not hesitate to contact us again.

With best regards from the Black Forest,

Martin”

I researched FedEx and for a $1500 CAD item being imported, they charge $70 brokerage fees on top of the GST/HST and Excise tax you will already be paying (5% GST and 5% Excise tax wold be about $150 for me in Alberta). If Stowa ships it via DHL, Canada Post would deliver it and charge $10-$20 as a handling fee. If I end up buying one I’ll get them to send it via DHL. Just not sure it’s worth all the hassle to fight with CBSA down the road if the watch has to go back to Germany for a warranty issue or service. I’ve fought with them twice in the past over incorrect duties on a watch and only won one of them. They ask for every document under the sun to prove your case. I have no problem paying duties or taxes as long as they are correctly applied. The prospect of paying duties when I buy the watch and every time it returns from a service in Germany is less than appealing to me.

·
Banned
10 Posts
My MO arrived today (Friday the 24th) at my unit in Toronto. It was sent on Friday the 17th using DHL. No additional payment required.

When ordering I requested that the watch be sent using DHL, which was no proble

161 - 171 of 171 Posts