WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a lawyer, and I spend a fair amount of time (for a civil litigator) in public (in court etc.)

I usually make a point to go pretty "conservative" for court appearances or when I'm in front of a jury, i.e., no cufflinks, no contrast collar shirts, no funky looking designer suits, no funky-lookin square-toed shoes, etc. (actually, the only one of those I wear to begin with are cufflinks . . . ). I have a conservative client base, and I think my audience expects a conservative look.

As I have been acquiring more and more watches (and they seem to be getting larger and larger in size) the problem becomes this: I don't really wanna wear some of these things in public for fear of being too "in your face" or "showy" (or even remotely so).

I'm kind of leaning towards dragging my old Seiko plain jane quartz (black face, on a folded (gasp!) oyster band) out of the back of the closet for public appearnaces.

Anyone else downgrade their hardware when they need to be in public?

·
Registered
792 Posts
if i were you i would just wear a non date rolex sub, steel on steel. pretty conservitave, yet is a rgged utilitarian peice, and w/o the cyclops or date most people wont recognize it as a rolex.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I wore my Kobold SEAL on a Delaurian Stitchless Black Widow when I testified on a death-penalty case last week. The only one who commented on it was the DA, and he liked it a lot.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm a lawyer, and I spend a fair amount of time (for a civil litigator) in public (in court etc.)

I usually make a point to go pretty "conservative" for court appearances or when I'm in front of a jury, i.e., no cufflinks, no contrast collar shirts, no funky looking designer suits, no funky-lookin square-toed shoes, etc. (actually, the only one of those I wear to begin with are cufflinks . . . ). I have a conservative client base, and I think my audience expects a conservative look.

As I have been acquiring more and more watches (and they seem to be getting larger and larger in size) the problem becomes this: I don't really wanna wear some of these things in public for fear of being too "in your face" or "showy" (or even remotely so).

I'm kind of leaning towards dragging my old Seiko plain jane quartz (black face, on a folded (gasp!) oyster band) out of the back of the closet for public appearnaces.

I don't think you have anything to fear. Alot of even the cheapest quality watches people wear today have a large case size and are quite 'blingy" as some would like to refer to them. Given the amount of people who could actually spot a quality timepiece on your wrist and given your a lawyer you might actually find a person who can admire you and show you a little respect for the quality in your tastes. Pony up, wear the watch and show your clients you can get the job done. Sure wish I could wear my mech's to work!!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
One of my "next" list watches is a Swiss Army Ambassador automatic...25 jewels.. has the date window. It may be a little "lower end", Im basing this on price, but its a great solid watch that is also a solid value. IMO they dont stand out... they just look great without being overwhelming. The word subtle comes to mind. From what Ive seen they can be had for $500-600.

Check it out...

In silver:
http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/24150.asp

In black:
http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/24148.asp

In blue:
http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/241072.asp

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I usually wear my Ball Engineer Master II Classic on a gator strap:

I'm getting a Ball Engineer Master II Moonglow to serve as my "going to court" white-dialed watch (on black gator strap), as I wait for the March shipment of Stowa Marine Originals:

This Limes Cartouche Klassic is the perfect white-dialed dress watch for court, but at just under 38mm, it was smaller than I like:

Surprisingly, this Sinn UX fits very well under cuffs. I just got it this week, so I'm going to give it a try with my suit next week:

(used with permission)

Rob

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I have to testify fairly often as an "expert witness" [an accident reconstructionist (not a cop)] and I'm thinking of getting a Mickey Mouse watch to try to avoid the elitist image conferred by the word "expert".

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have to testify fairly often as an "expert witness" [an accident reconstructionist (not a cop)] and I'm thinking of getting a Mickey Mouse watch to try to avoid the elitist image conferred by the word "expert".

LOL! Nice, I wonder if they have a "Bob the Builder" watch that might work for ya.:-d

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I spend a reasonable amount of time around British courts (on the goodies side) and taking into account the anal nature of the establishment I've noticed solicitors and barristers wearing everything from Timex to Rolex (one counterfeit) and plain to blingy but nobody gives a toss!
If I ever cross the pond and get into bother with the authorities I don't care what my brief wears as long as he's bloody good.
Wear what you like guys.
Best regards
Andy

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd expect my Lawyer to wear a Rolex or Panerai at the very least and quality cuff links and shiny shoes and an incredibly expensive tie and walk with a swagger and have an air of superiority, confidence and a 'my s..t doesn't stink' attitude so that win or lose, at least it would be a good show and my legal fees wouldn't be entirely wasted!!! Go for a Rolex!

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts

Well, if you don´t want to wear some of those things in public don´t do it. If you take that much care on the opinion of others do it. But then it´s not the question of "what watch" it´s more a question of "what person am I ?"
I never downgraded my hardware and I´ll never do. To solve "your problem" I´d go to buy a worthy vintage classic watch (i.e. JaegerLeCoultre). Most of the public will not recognize it as a JLC but as a distinguished classic watch which fits a lawyer.
The JLC Master Moon comes to my mind:

Or even less "complicated" a vintage Rolex will also fit the classic understated bill:

Rolex Precision out of the 50ties.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I appear in Court from time to time as an expert witness. I too try to dress conservatively and wear a watch that fits the image I am trying to convey. I have to remind myself that most can not tell a PP from a Timex but they can see if its large, "blingy", or just loud. I wear one of these depending on the suit. Solid, dependable, trustworthy....these are the things that I think you were saying you wanted to convey?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Never.

In fact, my watches are more expensive, in your face, and high end compared to the lawyers I work for, and I'm a paralegal. (Rolex, Damasko, Sinn).

·
Registered
351 Posts
A friend of mine bought himself a Rolex Air King shortly after he started working as a fully fledged lawyer, only to get comments along the lines of "why didn't you buy a proper Rolex?"

He now wears a Timex Ironman Triathlon watch instead, and gets no more funny comments.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts