WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of this watch? Ever seen it?

CWC British Military Chrono...

I stumbled across this watch today. Had heard vaguely of the brand as being a military supplier but had never seen this model. It is a manual winding Valjoux 7765 movement. This was until recently the RAF issue pilots watch. It has an asymmetrical stainless steel case with screw back in sandblasted stainless steel finish. Unusual chronograph sub dial configuration, with the constant seconds at 9, the 30 minute elapsed timer at 12 and the 60 second sweep chronograph centre hand. 39 mm excluding crown.

I really like the plain dial and classic style. Reminds me of the older versions of the IWC pilots chrono, which I really like.

I rarely find a "new" watch that I like so much that I had never known existed. It is very reasonably priced for what it is. I am very curious to hear opinions...

Thanks!

·
4,410 Posts
I like original version much better...

that watch was never actually issued. The last CWC pilots watch were issued more than 30 years ago and had a more traditional bicompax layout.

here is a original issued CWC
photo by "Explorer I"

That said, CWC makes rather nice watches. Durable, easy to read, and they still use tritium making them perhaps the last watchmakers in the world to still do so.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have the quartz version (also not issued) which I really like - a classic style and a link to my past as a Royal Navy Navigation Officer - I wish they'd issued one to me then; all I got was a CWC G10 and a CWC Quartz Diver. Very clear display. And CWC have been selling the MOD watches for many years, so they are the real thing, even if our respective models were not actually issued.

·
4,410 Posts
I believe the watch was tendered...

as a possible replacement, for the now defunct . Or was made in hopes that they would need to replace aging the 6645-99 924-3306's last issued in the very early 1980s. That never happened. And remember, that NSN is not unique to CWCs. Hamilton, Precista, and Newmark shared the same NSN number. Why CWC puts that on the watch is misleading IMO. However, the watch most likely is in adherence to the standard.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Re: I believe the watch was tendered...

as a possible replacement, for the now defunct . Or was made in hopes that they would need to replace aging the 6645-99 924-3306's last issued in the very early 1980s. That never happened. And remember, that NSN is not unique to CWCs. Hamilton, Precista, and Newmark shared the same NSN number. Why CWC puts that on the watch is misleading IMO. However, the watch most likely is in adherence to the standard.
Thanks. Great response. I guess they can use the NSN, as long as they don't have an issue number on it, e.g. 1000/09 or whatever? A little misleading, I agree. But I don't think they're claiming that these have actually been issued?

M

·
Registered
360 Posts
Re: I believe the watch was tendered...

Thanks. Great response. I guess they can use the NSN, as long as they don't have an issue number on it, e.g. 1000/09 or whatever? A little misleading, I agree. But I don't think they're claiming that these have actually been issued?

M
Silvermans don't sell issued watches ;) Sometimes they do sell them with case backs from military contract overruns, so if your lucky you might get one with a date stamped on the back, but it is irrelevant!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Re: I like original version much better...

that watch was never actually issued. The last CWC pilots watch were issued more than 30 years ago and had a more traditional bicompax layout.
Are you sure about that? I read somewhere that particular CWC Chronograph was actually issued in the late 70s between the original CWC chronograph and the Seiko Quartz chronograph...

·
4,410 Posts
Nope. That watch was never issued

1 - 11 of 11 Posts