WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Was just curious. Is it compulsory on American TV car shows to always use the words, 'BadAss', and 'Awesome'? LOL I lost count on an episode of a just watched car makeover show, on how many times those words were said by all the participants! 馃槀

Premium Member
I don't watch American TV car shows, so ????. It more likely depends on the hosts. ;)

Reactions: monsters

Registered
Our shows are for stupid foreigners. Haha.

You ought to join a car forum, drama and very naughty words like boobies, bahdunkadunk, and poop.

Premium Member
Yeah bro

Registered
Was just curious. Is it compulsory on American TV car shows to always use the words, 'BadAss', and 'Awesome'? LOL I lost count on an episode of a just watched car makeover show, on how many times those words were said by all the participants! 馃槀
Only if the car is Badass or Awesome. For example a Bugatti Veyron is Awesome, while anything that begins with "Top Fuel" is Badass or sometimes "Straight Up" Badass.

We also use the term "Junk" and Piece of chit". Usually that would be a car that begins with the word "Electric".

Another term you might want to know refers to the guy who cant stop talking about his car. There could be one of each of the fastest coolest cars in the world sitting in the lot at a show, but from these guys all you will hear about are their cars "yep, got me a XXXXX". The most common term is "C4 Owner". Sort of like "Rolex Owner". When a 1984 C4 pulls up, regardless of the conversation prepare to talk about C4's. For the rest of the night. And weekend.

Registered
OP, you're pretty funny. You started a thread in 2017 to say the same thing.
I know because it popped up under this thread in "Recommended Reading"
Did you forget or did you start one again on purpose?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Did you forget or did you start one again on purpose?
OMG, how embarrassing! This getting old crap isn't all it's cracked up to be! Had 100% forgotten, guess the annoyance trigger was still there though! :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: Dxnnis

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
And what the hell is bog standard? Are there levels of bog? Luxury bog? Entry level bog? What about fog bog? Or frog bog, or hog bog? And why doesn't dog bog work?
Aahhh... classic misunderstanding. "Bog" is a British slang word for 'toilet' or you may refer to as 'John'. Of course there are many standards of 'Bog' from your classic outdoor festival portaloo, to your bog standard 'home bog', to the luxurious Japanese style luxury 'bog' which will squirt a jet of water upwards to clean up your nether regions LOL

I'm sure that poor John guy gets really tired of folk doing their business all over him 馃槀

Reactions: Dxnnis and g-fob2

Registered
Like, if you listen to American English enough, you'll, like, see we like you use the word "like" a lot, even though we may not like something. There's a difference between "eat like a pig" and "eat, like, a pig." It's awesome.

Registered
"Like" is often used in casual language here in the UK as a sort of pause within a sentence, sometimes in the place where a comma could work? But sometimes just to give the speaker time to think of what next to say. David Beckham seems to, like, do this a lot like, especially when he's finkin' 'bout what to say, like.

But anyway, I don't mind the American dialects. I particularly like (?!?) the way that they pronounce their vowels in the correct way (i.e. "castle" rhymes with hassle instead of the way southerners in England (or, you know, like, the Queen) would have it rhyme with parcel)

But one thing that does grind with me is "snag". I just do not like it when someone "snags" a bargain. AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Registered
I'm from California. "Badass" and "awesome" are indeed part of the native lexicon. I think it's particularly common in traditionally masculine settings like car shows, regarding hot rods and muscle cars.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts