WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

Registered
Was just curious. Is it compulsory on American TV car shows to always use the words, 'BadAss', and 'Awesome'? LOL I lost count on an episode of a just watched car makeover show, on how many times those words were said by all the participants! 馃槀
I tend to think that only the intellectually challenged speak that way. Equate it to "Eastenders"?

Registered
At least is isn't "Colorway" I am on a personal Jihad to end the use of that "word."
What's wrong with it and what word do you use instead? I learned it fairly recently (I'm not a native English speaker) and I find it very handy to differentiate between items that aren't uniform in colour.

Registered
All those reality shows are scripted. Blame the writers. Television has gone downhill. Much better and original programming on youtube channels and streaming services.

Registered
What's wrong with it and what word do you use instead? I learned it fairly recently (I'm not a native English speaker) and I find it very handy to differentiate between items that aren't uniform in colour.
Colorway is an uncommon word rarely found in almost any context other than watch forums and watch media. I imagine OP finds it pretentious. I agree that it is a very useful word when describing watches in particular, and I will continue using it to describe different colorways.

Registered
I lived in the UK off/on over a three year period in the late 80's and have made dozens more trips from the USA for work over the years. As a Yank transiting the UK, if I'd have eaten a scoop of Yorkshire pudding for each time I heard "Right!" as a disconnected utterance, or the universally applied "brilliant!", I would be as large as Mars. However, I'm sure that I've never heard so many hilarious expressions as I did during much of that time; I loved it.

Favorites: "Cock up," "stuffed," and of course, "shagged."

Premium Member
During my working years, occasionally had dealings with folks from the U.K. When speaking of computer network "routers," (which Yanks pronounce "ROW-ter" - same sound as in OUCH!), the U.K. folks would usually say it as "ROO-taa." I loved it. ;)

Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
I hear 'awesome' and 'badass' used just as much here in UK now. In fact many words and phrases that were originally only used in the US, are now common in the UK. American tv shows, of which we get a lot on brit tv and streaming, has a big influence on this, especially with young people. Language is ever changing with words and phrases constantly going in and out of widespread use.

Registered
During my working years, occasionally had dealings with folks from the U.K. When speaking of computer network "routers," (which Yanks pronounce "ROW-ter" - same sound as in OUCH!), the U.K. folks would usually say it as "ROO-taa." I loved it. ;)
For us, a router ("ROW-ter") is a woodworking tool, whereas a router ("ROO-taa") is part of a computer network - simples.

Registered
Why do British people say chuffed to bits and whilst
I'm chuffed to bits you noticed our quirky vocabulary, whilst also appreciating the fact that you didn't mock us too much! ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
I'm chuffed to bits you noticed our quirky vocabulary, whilst also appreciating the fact that you didn't mock us too much! ;)
Just noticed you have tripped over 10,000 posts!! What a great achievement, and a wonderful contribution for us all. Well done, and Happy New Year...

Premium Member
For us, a router ("ROW-ter") is a woodworking tool, whereas a router ("ROO-taa") is part of a computer network - simples.
You know, now you make me wonder.. I don't even know what we call that woodworking tool! Maybe I should, but the last real exposure I had to woodworking was shop class in the 7th grade! ;)

Premium Member
Just noticed you have tripped over 10,000 posts!! What a great achievement, and a wonderful contribution for us all. Well done, and Happy New Year...
10,000 posts??!!! I'm chuffed to bits!! 馃槀 馃槀 Congrats to @HiggsBoson!!

Registered
You are very kind, thank you! (y)

Registered
21 - 40 of 77 Posts