WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
This is the most awesome thread ever.

Don't mind me, I'll go back to watching TOWIE and Love Island now... :)

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
566 Posts
You muffins do speak some twonk.
and of course, what you call (English) muffins are crumpets to us, and a muffin is a cake (akin to a cupcake).

Reactions: FROG and Dxnnis

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I used to love watching the older "Wheeler Dealer's" when it was from the UK. I really enjoyed the premise of that particular version. Watching Ed China work his magic on an old MG or Morris was great. No hyperbole, no "epic" or "awesome" or "sick". Just straightforward car repairs that he encouraged the home mechanic to try. I use to enjoy the "British" flavor of the show. Now that Ed is off and its in California, forget it. I was able to meet Ed at a car event in Scottsdale AZ and he was teriffic. True gentleman, I asked him how he put up with Mike Brewer and he just smiled!

Most of the car shows are simply vehicles to advertise products interspersed with small amounts of actual car info.

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
Let’s address the elephant in the room, the proper pronunciation of CAMARO......

Every time I hear one of the Top Gear trio (past and present) call it a Cammmmmmaaaarroooooo I die a little...

it is pronounced CAMeeeeeerrrro!

As an expat Brit, I apologize to all my fellow North Americans.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
and of course, what you call (English) muffins are crumpets to us, and a muffin is a cake (akin to a cupcake).
You've turned my mind to mush. Please stop. 😂 😂

Your "fish and chips" are fish and french fries, to us... ;)

Let’s address the elephant in the room, the proper pronunciation of CAMARO......

Every time I hear one of the Top Gear trio (past and present) call it a Cammmmmmaaaarroooooo I die a little...

it is pronounced CAMeeeeeerrrro!

As an expat Brit, I apologize to all my fellow North Americans.
Yeah, except the emphasis is on the 2nd syllable, not the first. CamERRRRooo. Apology accepted. 😂

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's dialectic chaos! I live near Detroit and have a few Canadian friends. I can drive 30 minutes and be in another country with a distinct accent and slight changes in the dialect. It's all English though, right?

I'm an online gamer, among other things, and our community is decent sized with people all over the world. We spent a couple of hours in voice chat one night with one of our resident British ex-pats now living in Texas saying distinctly British English things (torch, lorry, crumpet, pram, etc...) and having the couple of Yanks in the channel translating to American English. It was a fun little game.

Pointing out the cultural differences in our usages of the same language is always an interesting exercise.

It's not just international borders either. You can cross state and even city lines and require a translator :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's dialectic chaos! I live near Detroit and have a few Canadian friends. I can drive 30 minutes and be in another country with a distinct accent and slight changes in the dialect. It's all English though, right?

I'm an online gamer, among other things, and our community is decent sized with people all over the world. We spent a couple of hours in voice chat one night with one of our resident British ex-pats now living in Texas saying distinctly British English things (torch, lorry, crumpet, pram, etc...) and having the couple of Yanks in the channel translating to American English. It was a fun little game.

Pointing out the cultural differences in our usages of the same language is always an interesting exercise.

It's not just international borders either. You can cross state and even city lines and require a translator :)
Yeah, it's all fun and games right now but wait until the Aussies show up!!

·
Registered
439 Posts

Drive 30 minutes? Here in the North East of England you can literally walk to the adjoining village and face a subtley different accent and dialect.

A sad case in point was Wearside Jack who, in the late 70's, led the West Yorkshire Police way off the scent of notorious serial killer Peter Sutcliffe, the "Yorkshire Ripper", by basically sending letters and a taped message to the lead investigator who then threw all his resources away from West Yorkshire where the killings took place, to Castletown in Sunderland, in an effort to track down Wearside Jack, as the dialect was studied and believed to belong to this small village of just 3,000 residents.

Years later, well after Sutcliffe (who had been able to kill several times more due to the Police focussing elsewhere) was imprisoned, a cold case review matched a fragment of DNA from the envelope the tape had been sent in.

My claim to fame was that I (in my previous existence as a Sunderland cop) was the one who actually arrested John Humble for being drunk and disorderly, swearing at some Paramedics. He was dealt with, his DNA and fingerprints taken. Later this DNA matched with that on the envelope. Humble was eventually convicted and sentenced to eight years.

He's dead now. As is Sutcliffe. What a shame.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's not a "make over" either. Holy sh** get it straight brah.

Kid Rock can tell you all you need to know, he is a self proclaimed "American Badass"!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Guys, can we all just be thankful we're not German? Can make a good tank but as funny as a bag of books.

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
This thread is beautiful. Y'all are making me teary-eyed. We've come a long way since the Revolutionary War. 😂

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
OP, you're pretty funny. You started a thread in 2017 to say the same thing.
I know because it popped up under this thread in "Recommended Reading"
Did you forget or did you start one again on purpose?
exactly what i thought of when i saw this thread! 3 years ago when half the forum learnt what badass actually meant! haha

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
At least is isn't "Colorway" I am on a personal Jihad to end the use of that "word."
such a weird word to rile against. what word do you use instead? do you also hate other collective words like "style"?

Colorway is an uncommon word rarely found in almost any context other than watch forums and watch media. I imagine OP finds it pretentious. I agree that it is a very useful word when describing watches in particular, and I will continue using it to describe different colorways.
err... not uncommon and not just watches at all. its used alot in the textile industry and across fashion and just about anything else that needs to refer to a particular combination of colours. i know it most commonly from sneakers

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
what do you call crumpets?

we have muffins re: cakes, english muffins re: dense bread things, crumpets re: fluffy bread thing with lots of holes
'Crumpet' is also slang for an attractive woman....

Reactions: Dxnnis
41 - 60 of 77 Posts