WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When it comes to Seiko and it's sub brands I'm quite comfortable. Citizen since they are more quartz centric kind of skirts my radar. I've tried to come to terms with their watches, but came across something in that if it was in the Seiko world makes no sense. I'm kind of confused at the moment by Citizen PMT56-3031. See this link from Chino:
http://www.c-watch.co.jp/ww/pmt563041.html

I was under the impression this was a JDM only product and why it was not offered here for the US. Then when searching on Citizen divers I came across this one a Citizen BJ2115-07E (See link):
http://www.kenmarwatches.com/index....FR&cm_mmc=froogle-_-ppc-_-models-_-BJ2115-07E

Nothing is different in the specs from any thing I can tell and the price is hundreds lower for the one in the US. I could see if it was another Asia market, but I don't think NY qualifies as that. Does Citizen offer US versions of all their watches or is this site brokering JDM watches to the US at a huge discount? I never could find a US source for the PMD56-2994 or the PMD56-2983.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
i dunno about the US but it is officially sold here in Australia and also Asia as a different model to the JDM versions, which as far as i was able to ascertain are completely identical. i snagged my 3041 for 250 bux off an ebay seller not long ago

·
Registered
89 Posts
When it comes to Seiko and it's sub brands I'm quite comfortable. Citizen since they are more quartz centric kind of skirts my radar. I've tried to come to terms with their watches but came across something in that if it was in the Seiko world makes no sense. I'm kind of confused at the moment by Citizen PMT56-3031. See this link from Chino:
http://www.c-watch.co.jp/ww/pmt563041.html

I was under the impression this was a JDM only product and why it was not offered here for the US. Then when searching on Citizen divers I came across this one a Citizen BJ2115-07E (See link):
http://www.kenmarwatches.com/index....FR&cm_mmc=froogle-_-ppc-_-models-_-BJ2115-07E

Nothing is different in the specs from any thing I can tell and the price is hundreds lower for the one in the US. I could see if it was another Asia market, but I don't think NY qualifies as that. Does Citizen offer US versions of all their watches or is this site brokering JDM watches to the US at a huge discount? I never could find a US source for the PMD56-2994 or the PMD56-2983.
You are right, these do look like the same watch.
I suspect that the movement is probably slightly different - the JDM one is probably metric (depth guage) while the US one likely uses Imperial measurements. The caseback may also be different.

I don't know if PMT56-3031 is officially available in the US - I suspect not, and I suspect the higher price quoted is a function of this lack of availibility to American buyers. Or maybe it was available as a JDM import prior to the similar US model being officially released. At any rate, this syntax of model numbering is not the same as what is used by Citizen of America - theirs would be more similar to the second model you quoted, BJ2115-07E.

Generally speaking, the Citizen ranges vary quite a lot from country to country (or, more specifically, from region to region). Some watches are common to some or all regions, others vary slightly (e.g. mineral vs sapphire glass, or metric vs imperial depth guages) and others are simply available on some markets but not selected for others.

The US, Canada, Caribbean, UK and Ireland all work from the US overall collection (or subsets of it). BJ2115-07E is part of the new Spring 2010 collection in these markets. The UK and Ireland has the similar BJ2117-01E which I think has a metric depth guage - probably closer to the Japanese one you mention above.

Continental Europe (as opposed to UK/IE) is under different regional management entirely and so its collection varies significantly from the US range. The same is probably true for Australia, and other regional groupings which I am less familiar with.

Hope this is helpful.

·
11,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i dunno about the US but it is officially sold here in Australia and also Asia as a different model to the JDM versions, which as far as i was able to ascertain are completely identical. i snagged my 3041 for 250 bux off an ebay seller not long ago
Good catch. I don't see anything that low now. How do you like it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Good catch. I don't see anything that low now. How do you like it.
its a big watch no doubt but i love its completely unique tool look and some may even say overdone design

you might want to check out japan_time on ebay, they seem to auction these off regularly and i did get lucky. i got mine just b4 new years, i dont think many people had buying watches on their minds at that time!:-d

·
11,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I did miss the depth reading on the one is in feet while the other is in meters. Otherwise I'm not seeing a difference. Do you know if the other two models I gave have a conversion?

One question how does it work? I'm not a gadget guy and the Aqualand Anniversary just had too many modes that I need the book while diving to get it to work. This looked much more straight forward.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did miss the depth reading on the one is in feet while the other is in meters. Otherwise I'm not seeing a difference. Do you know if the other two models I gave have a conversion?

One question how does it work? I'm not a gadget guy and the Aqualand Anniversary just had too many modes that I need the book while diving to get it to work. This looked much more straight forward.
Not sure about this model but in the past, Aqualand movements (and others from Citizen like the U700/U710 on Promaster SST) have been either metric or imperial and there was no way to change them without physically swapping out a part of the movement. I would be very surprised if this new one was any different.

Look at www.citizenwatch.com and you should find interactive instructions under the Tech Support section - they are pretty cool.

·
Registered
89 Posts
its a big watch no doubt but i love its completely unique tool look and some may even say overdone design

you might want to check out japan_time on ebay, they seem to auction these off regularly and i did get lucky. i got mine just b4 new years, i dont think many people had buying watches on their minds at that time!:-d
I've seen this watch in the flesh (the metric version, BJ2117) and it's really really nice. The dial in particular is fantastic. I kinda wish I didn't have two other divers watches so I could justify a change to this one... :roll:

·
2,138 Posts
Hi Michael,

I do not own this model but do own an older relative. The depth meter works well all you do is hold down one of the pushers and it will put the watch in dive mode. It is then ready to read the depth. The large blue hand will indicate the depth.

Regards,

Ren

·
11,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Michael,

I do not own this model but do own an older relative. The depth meter works well all you do is hold down one of the pushers and it will put the watch in dive mode. It is then ready to read the depth. The large blue hand will indicate the depth.

Regards,

Ren

Thanks Ren! I was originally concerned with the channel or that they were showing some JDM watch but when I ordered it I would get a diamond studded tank style ladies watch. The price difference also had me concerned since Chino is generally a good place to buy things. I was able to confirm the part number was correct on the Orient US site for the 031 equivalent (there does not appear to be a 041 equivalent in the US). I put it on order this morning since I think this will give me the simple functions I'm looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts