WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One may or may not like their stuff...but one cannot say that they are not a powerhouse. These are some older articles but its like the luxury car thing...concept cars are made to show one can and has the panache to :)

IN-DEPTH: Introducing The Cartier ID Two Concept Watch, Watchmaking

Cartier ID Two Concept Watch: Goodbye Metal | aBlogtoWatch

Cartier ID2 by JAMES DOWLING - TimeZone

"With the ID Two, Cartier opens the way for fundamental changes for watchmaking: higher efficiency means many improvements, such as miniaturisation, increased autonomy without increasing the volume, durability, more complications and of course improved chronometry.In my opinion, Cartier has opened a new chapter in the history of mechanical watchmaking."

ID2_Web-32.jpg

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Re: For those who diss Cartier as not being a proper watchmaker...

Cartier has a long history of making watches.

I don't know who disses Cartier as not being a serious watchmaker but the only ones who could make such a claim would have to be high-end watchmakers who charge more for their watches than Cartier.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It's pretty obvious to me that Cartier is a proper watchmaker, really. They invented the modern wristwatch (Cartier Santos, 1904). I don't see what the fuss is all about over watch companies not being 'real' if they make something other than watches.

To use a different example, Breguet makes very fine pens.
Does that make Breguet a luxury pen maker? Yes.
Are they also a luxury watch maker? Obviously.

A company can make more than one product line, there's no rule that says it can't be done.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Cartier makes some fascinating pieces at the mid-high end range. Their entry level ETA pieces.. not that much.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I am continually surprised by how many WIS types don't know Cartier's place in the history of watchmaking.

I admire that Cartier watches have a distinct look to them, but for the most part I can't say that look does much for me.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Cartier makes some fascinating pieces at the mid-high end range. Their entry level ETA pieces.. not that much.
Their Opening price point product lines are not really tailor for WIS like you and I, the lady's quartz tank is a major cash cow for them as far as I can see. My mom has one for the longest time, it's dependable(quartz), light, fairly priced, fashionable and have a very high brand recognition with their jewelry line.

Goes without saying Richemont can really pump money into their high end R&D project, their booth at the W&W last year was very impressive, more so than the many of their sister brands such as panerai

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I think the Calibre de Cartier watches are butt-ugly (those dials, bleh), but I can appreciate the watchcraft behind them. I lust for a tank anglaise, however.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like Cartier. I'd definetly wear one of their unisex/men dress watches. With one or two exceptions, even their bottom of line ETA quartz pieces are nice enough - the quality of the dials and cases are very very pretty.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
This is pretty crazy high end watchmaking. Something VC, AP, Rolex, and Breguet are being left behind.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Let me just ask you this: Has any other watch brand been mentioned in a Rolling Stones song? QED.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Just for me I can't see a brand that sells purses as something I'd want to own. I try to avoid caring about the name on the watch, but they just have a huge amount of negatives when it comes to owning the brand.

They also just make awful looking men's watches imo.

That said I consider them a well known and respected watch maker. The issues I have are completely related to their brand and designs. They might be the least likeable brand in watch making due to the other things they make for me. Perhaps others will get this but I seem them like Coach which is a brand I'd never consider buying from even if they did make something great. And yes I hate that I have such strong feelings about certain brands, but I can't help it.

·
Registered
15,275 Posts
Cartier's are cool, more pics please . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
For those who diss Cartier as not being a proper watchmaker...(and for those ...

It's pretty obvious to me that Cartier is a proper watchmaker, really. They invented the modern wristwatch (Cartier Santos, 1904). I don't see what the fuss is all about over watch companies not being 'real' if they make something other than watches.

To use a different example, Breguet makes very fine pens.
Does that make Breguet a luxury pen maker? Yes.
Are they also a luxury watch maker? Obviously.

A company can make more than one product line, there's no rule that says it can't be done.
No. Breguet pens are a fashion brand, made for them by Montegrappa.

I agree with your point however. Seiko is an example of a true watchmaker that also makes many other products.

·
Premium Member
21,815 Posts
Just for me I can't see a brand that sells purses as something I'd want to own. I try to avoid caring about the name on the watch, but they just have a huge amount of negatives when it comes to owning the brand.

They also just make awful looking men's watches imo.

That said I consider them a well known and respected watch maker. The issues I have are completely related to their brand and designs. They might be the least likeable brand in watch making due to the other things they make for me. Perhaps others will get this but I seem them like Coach which is a brand I'd never consider buying from even if they did make something great. And yes I hate that I have such strong feelings about certain brands, but I can't help it.
Not sure why you can't just evaluate a watch based on the merits as opposed to the brand association. But, I guess that means that you can't buy a Mont Blanc watch, or an Omega for that matter...

1 - 20 of 140 Posts