WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum has been a great resource for me. Since I don't post a lot I figured the least I could do was to pass on my experiences and the development of my preferences over the past 2 years. I have had four Ball watches, the Deep Quest, the Aviator Dual time, the Spacemaster Glow, and the Skindiver. I had all on metal bracelets. I have no real expertise and I am not qualified to review watches. Instead I am passing on my observations and point of view based on personal experience and preferences. I am a fairly active 50 something year old who travels a lot for business. I wear a suit when traveling, but often wear running shoes when I am back in the office. While I do have visual preferences a watch has to be functional in the way that I use it. The more functional the watch is the less likely I will end up to get rid of it. At this point of the four watches I had the Aviator Dual is the one that I am most likely to keep for a long time. Next would be the Skindiver, one; it is one of the two I still have, and two; it is an incredibly comfortable watch to wear.

The first watch I purchased was the Deep Quest. It was a great watch. I liked everything about it except its size. I have puny hairless 6.5 inch wrists, and while the Deep Quest isn't nearly as heavy as looks, it was too big for my wrist and would sometimes cause a bit of irritation. It was the first of what I referred to as my cockroach watches. The watch appeared tough enough to survive human extinction and might be worn by the giant mutant cockroaches that displace us. The highlight of the design was the watch face. I liked the dark grey face and the treatment of the watch hands. It was easy to read and had a very nice glow.

About the same time that I got the Deep Quest I got an Aviator Dual time. That watch has slowly grown on me to the point that it is my favorite ball watch. The glow on of the dial is fantastic. I still like to steal an unnecessary glance at the watch face in low light situations. It is a useful tool I use especially when I travel around the world, which is fairly often for work. Being able to see what time it is in the middle of a long overnight flight or in a dark hotel room is fantastic. A standard watch using a glowing compound doesn't give me the same thing. Often times the watch face doesn't get all that charged since it is under my sleeve. That isn't an issue with a Ball. On the negative side I don't appreciate the time adjustment mechanism, but now that I have a pretty accurate time function on my smart phone it is easier to make sure that I adjust the watch correctly. A jumping main hour hand would be a lot better. Adjusting the second time zone shouldn't have to be as complex as it is. I've gotten used to it so it isn't a big issue anymore. In some ways its exceptional glow makes the look of the other Ball watches I had seem a little bit disappointing. It is very comfortable and an easy travel companion. It is a great all purpose working traveling watch.

The Spacemaster Glow was a terrific watch. It is a big rugged watch that fits guys with puny wrists. I liked the way the tubes were set into the face a bit. It reminded me of the look of a Panerai sandwich dial. The only downside of that approach is that the dial doesn't glow quite as brightly as the Aviator Dual Time. I liked the way the safety bar assembly didn't stick out as far from the case as some of the earlier Hydrocarbon watches I had tried on a couple years earlier. At least that was my impression. It made the watch look much more balanced. I ended up trading the Spacemaster in for a 40mm Panerai. It is a great rugged watch, but I finally figured out that I didn't need that level of ruggedness. I also found that it was not that comfortable doing things like riding my bike for a few hours. The watch was heavy and ended up being a distraction. It would probably be a good watch for hiking and camping. It was nice for skiing, but the bracelet didn't expand a whole lot so it was hard to wear on the outside of my jacket under the gauntlet of my ski gloves. My family and friends tease me about wearing a watch that way, but they also continually ask me what time it is.

The other Ball I still have is the Skindiver. I originally got it on the band, but Rob Caplan at Topper promised me a metal bracelet when they became available. It is the most comfortable mechanical watch I have had. For some reason I don't really like all green tubes, but given how comfortable and legible the watch is I have no plans to trade it in. It does have something of an old school diver watch look to it. When I first looked at it the bezel looked a bit awkward in that it sits up like a pedestal top above the watch. I can't say that I have even noticed that aspect of the design over the past year.

In terms of accuracy the Dual Time was the worst. It originally ran about 6 seconds slow a day. I sent it in to get regulated. Now it runs between about 1 and maybe 7 seconds fast a day. In normal wear it is probably 5-6 seconds fast on average. I also got the Spacemaster regulated. Once I did it ran about 2-3 seconds fast per day. The Skindiver runs a couple seconds fast and has been the most accurate. I don't quite remember how the Deep Quest ran, but I know it was never an issue.

I bought all my watches through Topper Jewelers. Rob Caplan has been terrific. He has been more than fair and easy to work with. Twice he insisted on giving me more for a trade in than what I proposed. He didn't charge me for regulating the time on both my Dual time and Spacemaster when I volunteered that the watches were performing to Ball specifications and I just wanted to see if I could make them a bit more accurate. Please note that I have no association with Topper. I just like doing business with and recommending honest people.

I hope that my observations are helpful to someone new to the brand, and that they represent a positive contribution to the forum. As I said before this forum has been a great resource.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Excellent and very informative post, thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
Thanks for the post and I could not agree more. The Dual Time is a watch that I bought on a whim and it is just so good at everything you can't help but like it. Form letting friends try mine there are several of them now that have one of their own in regular rotation. Part of it's appeal is it also goes with almost any strap and has a excellent bracelet available (this is what my friends tell me since my bracelet is still wrapped in the plastic). Comfort is incredibly high on this watch and it really has the only intuitive second time zone. The big date is fantastic and I personally like the lume on it the best of any Ball watch. One last thing that I noticed is the dial has a sort of aged black color to it and with the sort of yellowed appearance of the tubes it looks sort of new retro (like a Longines Legend Diver. This does not come across in pictures as well as it does in person. Funny the EMII GCT has no appeal to me after having the Aviator DT.

The Skindiver was also a surprise. Fantastic on the bracelet and again a great all around watch that seems to fit everyone. The design really looks bigger on the wrist than it is similar to the way the new Rolex Sub does. I rank this probably Balls most comfortable watch.

The Spacemaster X-Lume was my first new Ball watch. I just never had the connection to it that I have with the two above. I actually traded it to get the standard Spacemaster in in white with the blue hands.

The DeepQUEST is the only love at first sight in this group. I'm so glad Ball choose not to make the version with the ridiculously large numbers. While it is big and thick my friends with 7" wrists swear it actually sits down more on the wrist then their Spacemasters. Every time I see one pictured on the forum I have to stop and appreciate how good it looks and what a great job Ball did making and EHC that really does not share anything with any other EHC watch. I'm really hoping my new EHC Black turns out to be as good as it. So far so good.

Pic:

Reactions: Jigga4040

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
It is a useful tool I use especially when I travel around the world, which is fairly often for work. Being able to see what time it is in the middle of a long overnight flight or in a dark hotel room is fantastic. A standard watch using a glowing compound doesn't give me the same thing. Often times the watch face doesn't get all that charged since it is under my sleeve. That isn't an issue with a Ball.
X2 - I travel frequently for work also, and won't wear anything other than a GTLS watch any more.

On the negative side I don't appreciate the time adjustment mechanism, but now that I have a pretty accurate time function on my smart phone it is easier to make sure that I adjust the watch correctly. A jumping main hour hand would be a lot better. Adjusting the second time zone shouldn't have to be as complex as it is.
How do you adjust the second time zone?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank-you for the nice comments and Samanator for also inserting pictures. The watches look a lot better on you than me. At the moment the only pictures I can contribute are of the 40mm Panerai I bought to replace my Spacemaster. For me the Panerai is a better all purpose daily wearer.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery Bracelet Wrist Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

tc -- It is funny how spoiled I have gotten using Ball watches on long trips. The ability to see what time under any condition definitely trumps the ease of adjustment associated with other dual time or GMT watches.

As for adjusting the second time, I misspoke. I set the main hands to whatever timezone I am in. To do that you have to always adjust backwards to keep the second time zone constant. The only trick I have found is to make sure that when you go backwards, to go a bit farther than what you need and then adjust forward to the time. Otherwise the second time on the small dial doesn't start forward immediately. I have an App titled "The World Clock" on my Iphone that seems to be within a few seconds of the official time. That has made it much easier to adjust the time while on planes. When I have inadvertently changed the small dial I just go forward with both hand until the small dial is set and then go backwards to set the main hands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts