WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

For what it's worth

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Embezellated 
#1 ·
I received a GA2000-3A from e-bay seller jii_993 on 10/22. I didn't like it so on 10/23 tried to return it and was told returns were closed. What a bummer, poor business practice.

#2 ·
I'll name and shame myself, I don't accept returns when I sell, if I was registered as a business I'd have to by law in UK, but from a seller point of view I don't want to have to resell a return, it's not efficient, I don't sell enough to register as a business, just a hobby, which is why I don't want unnecessary faff

Just sell it on

*By name and shame I should be clear, I'm not the seller in this case 😂, just saying my rules are the same

#13 · (Edited)
I'll name and shame myself, I don't accept returns when I sell
Nope, me neither.

I always make it quite clear in my description that I don't accept returns on used items and that the buyer is purchasing on that understanding.

To my mind, as a private seller, I don't see why "I don't like the watch" should be a reason to issue a refund.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
"i dont like it" falls under ebays "change of mind" policy which buyers dont have to accept if theyve got the setting set to "no refunds". it will be clearly stated in the listing.
im another small time seller and i have that set cos im there to make stuff go away not have it go back and forth while buyers make up their mind, likely tarnishing the goods in the process.
this isnt poor business practice, this is poor buyer practice and petty ignorance.
its also a ga2000, a basic model that has been available for about 3 years now so theyre everywhere if you wanted to physically look at one or at least view one of the thousands of images/videos/reviews online.

i so dont get the mentality of "play before you buy" where you can treat the retail world as your own personal library esp. when it comes to small time sellers who prob dont even make back the seller fees on sales.

#15 ·
The OP's been here for more 10 years, he should know better. Not everything and not every store/seller accept returns, it's been that way for a long time. Since last year more things are deemed unacceptable for returns once used, such as headphones and ear buds. Make senses, you put on and used something that's not easily cleanable, it's too filthy to be returned. Not to forgot in some other countries there's no return policy, you buy it and you keep it kind of thing. We are just too spoiled sometimes and taking things for granted.

The result of a Return culture:

So wasteful... good thing people have the idea to turn these into profit, at least put some of these into the hands of those who need them. Otherwise all will go to land fill.

For what it's worth, do your part in saving energy and resources: buy what you really want and keep it! Especially with some of the supply shortages, not every resource and supply last forever. Time to learn to conserve.

#19 ·
Not to forgot in some other countries there's no return policy, you buy it and you keep it kind of thing.
I would go so far as to say it's that way in almost all other countries.

In particular, it's that way if you:

do not know the seller

haven't established a relationship of trust with the seller

are dealing with a small business or a one-person operation

have not even taken the trouble to check whether you can just return the product at whim

On the last point, the OP has now acquired knowledge about buying and selling that can be applied to all future purchases. Everyone wins.

#16 ·
Many times on this forum you see people do a full review of a watch, including changing out the strap, popping off the caseback, and wearing it for a couple days only to have the sentence "I'm not sure if I am going to keep it or not" included at the end. Sometimes these are $30 Casios. I would think you get $30 worth of value just being able to review and photograph it... if you don't like it after it has been worn, give it away or sell it to someone.

I always wonder if the watch I am buying from a retailer that is quick to accept returns so quickly (WalMart, Amazon, etc.) is genuinely new or if it has been messed with at some point.

#17 ·
exactly this!
the ones that so freely return things after a good play are usually the same ones that complain when something in the box looks like its been opened. or theres the blatant abuser of the system that reviews watches/flexes on socials but has no inclination of actually keeping it. you return enough things eventually youre going to get a used item!
worst of all is the poor person that actually wants to keep it ends up with something someone else has had their grubby mitts all over

#18 · (Edited)
Doing a free review on a forum is one thing, which is already bad to have a free dip in a brand new product. Using the same cheat to do a review in youtube and getting paid, that's a crime!

Few years back, I once received a watch listed as new in amazon and the watch strap clearly had skin cells accumulated in every crevice. For that case, it was someone swapping an old strap and getting a new one for free. Again it is a crime. Yes I returned it for that case. That's what the return policy is for to protect the buyers from defective products and orders not as described.

While gladly not everyone is that bad, most of us could easily let the convenience spoil us. My wife's no exception, several times she bought something that worth only a few bucks and wanted to return. I told her think about how much fuel wasted to transport that cheap little item back and forth for hundreds of miles!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.