WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the overwhelming majority here prefer automatic movement. But do you have a "go to" quartz? It can either be one you own or one you're planning to buy.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Mainly, I love hand-wind mechanical movements (and why I do oh so love vintage!). Just like a standard-transmission, gearing down/up as hit the apex of a turn in the road, so as to really be driving, nothing beats daily interaction with a mechanical (love winding them up and hearing them tick, and what got me hooked in the first place :)

That said, I've a few quartz, sport watches mainly (i.e., a Tag Heuer Professional Sports (Golf), super light on the wrist so as to do what it's supposed to do, and not interfere with my golf game as a mechanical would, and of course a beater, etc.) but also a couple of dress watches--i.e., IWC Portofino and Cartier. Wonderfully slim, accurate/reliable and excellent for travel, so as to be incredibly convenient all-around. Dress watches are supposed to be slim, etc, with quartz making up the bulk of this category for a reason, followed by hand-winds which are the slimmest next to quartz (the IWC Port is definitely that, plus a classic (timeless) design, excellent fit/finish --same for the Cartier, great designs and fit/finish, etc.--then, I'm a classic sort and don't mind quartz, depending on the category as said).

I also have perpetual self winding automatics, albeit preferring hand-winds as said, so not sure into which category you'd put me (i.e., most of mine are hand-winds, not self-winding autos, though I have lots of autos plus a few quartz too). I just like watches, I guess ;)

Cheers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
General rule of thumb is I prefer automatics.

exception A: Major Swiss or Japanese brand that has super fit and finish quartz at an affordable price. I have a Tissot PRC 200- great example of this variance ..they are about $200 with Saphire Crystal/Chrono Flyback/ All Stainless 200m rated.

exception B: Omega Seamaster Quartz.. brand new about $1800. It's a move into upper echelon watches at an affordable price. It's not a cheap price, it's a contridiction to exeption A.. but I like the Seamaster.. and I like keeping my wallet full of cash :) .. of course if I find a mint used automatic Seamaster 300 at the same price as the quartz that is less than 5 years old.. the quartz SM is not happening.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Victorinox Dive Master 500 Quartz.... Most handsome looking quartz in my collection.

6481685339_cb091b4eb3_z.jpg

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have one automatic and one quartz watch. So I guess my favourite quartz has got to be the one I have!

Oh, it's a Citizen eco-drive titanium perpetual calendar chronograph.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Perseus ... lol; ah, but if you want a "Bond Quartz", then it would have to be the Tag Heuer Professional Dive (quartz), worn by Timothy Dalton as Bond during the opening sequence apparently of The Living Daylights (1987) as discussed here: https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/watches-movies-trivia-127640-post4527849.html#poststop (Note: the Omega product placement campaign came later--not to say that the Omega quartz isn't nice, but it's not *the* Bond quartz so far as Tag Heuer was first, so if it's a Bond Quartz you want, then it has gotta be a Tag Heuer Professional Dive (Quartz). Myself, I'm sticking with my Sub, then, I'm a classic sort, as said ;)

Bond Quartz.jpg

Cheers

Reactions: RumbleOfThunder

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
^ Hey, is that the new Citizen you mentioned and have been patiently waiting to arrive? If so, congratulations (it's really NICE!!!).

Reactions: CitizenM
1 - 20 of 84 Posts