WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

321 - 340 of 728 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
where I certainly disagree is you keep referring to this robustness of Rolex watches. do you see how banged up and scratche duo a Milgauss, datejust, explorer, OP’s get After regular use? maybe the sub or gmt (I have not had experience with a gmt) is “robust” in terms of a sports watch. But Rolex isnt made of vibranium.
I believe he's talking about the robustness of the movement and not the imperviousness of the case or bracelet to dents and scratches.

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
No they are not made in Vibranium, but I don't see how scratches and what not detract from it's function as a watch?

My Explorer II is all banged up with nicks and scratches, still as accurate as the first month I bought it 6 years ago.
Ha, nailed it! 😊

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
Which I agreed with... did you care to read what you highlighted? But I'm glad to see you ignored my repost of another users experience with a brand new Rolex which was off by 35 minutes.
Ok, sample size of N=1. That definitely tells you alll you need to know about Rolex's reliabilty.

Reactions: mui.richard

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
So because you posted something you're entitled to a "timely reply"? GTFOH 🤣🤣
Hey, wait 'til he tries to get an answer out of Vacheron corporate...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am not familiar with Rolex movements, but what parts are plastic in the movements?

Kind Regards
I am not sure what these parts are called, although one may be a "reversing wheel" (in red). The part is more readily visible in this photo, courtesy of "Bob's Watches". There is another plastic looking toothed wheel the red one is meshed with. Again, not sure of the function of the reverse wheel and whether this is plastic or plastic coated metal. Maybe someone more familiar with the guts of a 3135 movement could elaborate on this or correct me. Frankly, for the money a Rolex costs, the only acceptable plastic part to me is having an acrylic crystal. Plastic in the movement ? If I wanted to pay for plastic, I'd buy a Casio - - and did.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Ok, sample size of N=1. That definitely tells you alll you need to know about Rolex's reliabilty.
are you bigseikofan or bigrolexfan? I’m just saying why can’t Rolex owners just love Rolex without putting down other watch brands?

you’re not going to convince me that a Rolex movement is better than an ALS, or Patek or even AP

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
are you bigseikofan or big rolex
fan?
I'm a big fan of a lot of watches.

Btw, you should know that my new Explorer had a gltichy date mechanism. The NYC RSC fixed it w/o any hassle but now you're up to N=2.

I can't believe they get away with that crap.

Reactions: koolpep

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I believe he's talking about the robustness of the movement and not the imperviousness of the case or bracelet to dents and scratches.
Not sure how far back you’ve gone. But he’s spoken about more than just the movement.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I'm a big fan of a lot of watches.

Btw, you should know that my new Explorer had a gltichy date mechanism. The NYC RSC fixed it w/o any hassle but now you're up to N=2.

I can't believe they get away with that crap.
you’re right only 2 issues ever. My bad.

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
i agree. A few outliers do not make a trend. That’s what the warranty is for. Even the trinity would have similar experiences i think. I have even read of issues re bracelet screws and issues on the hands.

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
So out of hundreds of thousands of Rolexes sold each year, what failure rate is acceptable to you? Don't say zero if you don't want people to laugh at you.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
i agree. A few outliers do not make a trend. That’s what the warranty is for. Even the trinity would have similar experiences i think. I have even read of issues re bracelet screws and issues on the hands.
Agreed. Rolex is wonderful. I’ve reduced my collection to 1 watch. Happens to be a Rolex. I just don’t think it’s the greatest watch ever. It’s great for me tho 😀. I think it can be rivaled from not just the trinity but even Omega and maybe a few others

If you’re on forums long enough you’re going to read issues with just about any brand. Be it Trinity, Rolex or hamilton.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
So out of hundreds of thousands of Rolexes sold each year, what failure rate is acceptable to you? Don't say zero if you don't want people to laugh at you.
When you say people are you referring to strangers on the internet?

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
When you say people are you referring to strangers on in the internet?
If you know any engineers, see what they say if you insist on a zero failure rate. Laughing would be a kindness.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,811 Posts
I am not sure what these parts are called, although one may be a "reversing wheel" (in red). The part is more readily visible in this photo, courtesy of "Bob's Watches". There is another plastic looking toothed wheel the red one is meshed with. Again, not sure of the function of the reverse wheel and whether this is plastic or plastic coated metal. Maybe someone more familiar with the guts of a 3135 movement could elaborate on this or correct me. Frankly, for the money a Rolex costs, the only acceptable plastic part to me is having an acrylic crystal. Plastic in the movement ? If I wanted to pay for plastic, I'd buy a Casio - - and did.

View attachment 15890174
That looks like the exact same pic at this page, which explains that the red reverser wheels are Teflon-coated.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
If you know any engineers, see what they say if you insist on a zero failure rate. Laughing would be a kindness.
Did I say zero failure rate? Did I insist that?

I don’t really discuss watches with too many people outside of this forum. I don’t know too many people with this same hobby. But if I do run into an engineer I’ll be sure to ask them what an acceptable failure rate is. Happy compromise?

321 - 340 of 728 Posts