WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

341 - 360 of 728 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
you’re not going to convince me that a Rolex movement is better than an ALS, or Patek or even AP
Just saw the addendum...

If you're talking about the quality of the finish in the movement's parts, I don't think anyone will claim that Rolex is better than ALS et al. They too would be laughed at.
However, if you're talking which movement is likely to continue working correctly after a 20 foot fall onto a tile floor, I doubt anyone would say the ALS/AP/PP will fare better than the Rolex. Although there might be that one guy out there making that claim...

Happy to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Just saw the addendum...

If you're talking about the quality of the finish in the movement's parts, I don't think anyone will claim that Rolex is better than ALS et al. They too would be laughed at.
However, if you're talking which movement is likely to continue working correctly after a 20 foot fall onto a tile floor, I doubt anyone would say the ALS/AP/PP will fare better than the Rolex. Although there might be that one guy out there making that claim...

Happy to be proven wrong.
prove it. Drop your Rolex from 20 feet.

btw of you’ve been actually following the conversation. I’ve literally only been saying “enjoy your Rolex don’t crap on other brands. Does isn’t the end all be all of watches”

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
prove it. Drop your Rolex from 20 feet.
No problem. You supply the AP, ALS and PP and we're good to go.

btw of you’ve been actually following the conversation. I’ve literally only been saying “enjoy your Rolex don’t crap on other brands. Does isn’t the end all be all of watches”
Never said Rolex is the end-all, be-all. And I've never crapped on any brand.

Except maybe Invicta.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
However, if you're talking which movement is likely to continue working correctly after a 20 foot fall onto a tile floor
Lol... come on man. If you have to share a specific example you should already know you’re doing too much

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
Lol... come on man. If you have to share a specific example you should already know you’re doing too much
Facts are usually very inconvenient.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Never said Rolex is the end-all, be-all. And I've never crapped on any brand.
I didn’t say you did. I said if you’re following the conversation...

but maybe I’m expecting too much. You’ve just been responding to my responses in a vacuum ignoring context.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Facts are usually very inconvenient.
What fact is that? Your made up scenario?

Subarus are supposed to be safer than most luxury cars. But you don’t buy a car based on what would happen if you were to crash it.

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
I didn’t say you did. I said if you’re following the conversation...

but maybe I’m expecting too much. You’ve just been responding to my responses in a vacuum ignoring context.
Where have my responses been wrong, even without "context?"

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
What fact is that? Your made up scenario?
Yes, my scenario. A specific test to determine the validity of your assertion that one movement is better than another.

If you truly believe that those three watches will fare better in a 20-foot fall because they're "better", then put them up and we'll test them side-by-side.

Happy to contribute the Rolex and tile floor.

Subarus are supposed to be safer than most luxury cars. But you don’t buy a car based on what would happen if you were to crash it.
Dunno about Subarus but Volvo has gotten a ton of mileage (and business) out of their supposed crash-worthiness.

When a family is looking for a new car, ask them if crash-worthiness is an important consideration; it may not be the top but it certainly won't be the bottom.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Yes, my scenario. If you truly believe that those three watches will fare better in a 20-foot fall because they're "better", then put them up and we'll test them side-by-side.

Happy to contribute the Rolex and tile floor.

Dunno about Subarus but Volvo has gotten a ton of mileage (and business) out of their supposed crash-worthiness.

When a family is looking for a new car, ask them if crash-worthiness is an important consideration; it may not be the top but it certainly won't be the bottom.
so the conversation of which watch is or movement is better is now based on which watch can withstand a 20 foot fall onto tile? I’ll pass on the stupidity. You can corner that market. Which is why I suggested you prove it with your Rolex.

Also let’s ask that family if they rather a Range Rover or a Subaru. Let’s see if they’re taking the crash test into account

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
so the conversation of which watch is or movement is better is now based on which watch can withstand a 20 foot fall onto tile? I’ll pass on the stupidity. You can corner that market. Which is why I suggested you prove it with your Rolex.
Hey, put up or shut up. We're talking about "better." There can't be a "better" without a direct comparison. Better than what?

And falling back to claims of stupidity is the last resort of a man who's run out of arguments.

Also let’s ask that family if they rather a Range Rover or a Subaru. Let’s see if they’re taking the crash test into account
Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. If they don't, then we're talking about Darwinism at work. Not my kids in their car.

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
Agreed. Rolex is wonderful. I’ve reduced my collection to 1 watch. Happens to be a Rolex. I just don’t think it’s the greatest watch ever. It’s great for me tho 😀. I think it can be rivaled from not just the trinity but even Omega and maybe a few others

If you’re on forums long enough you’re going to read issues with just about any brand. Be it Trinity, Rolex or hamilton.
agreed, Rolex is not the greatest ever. But to be fair, i do not know which is.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Hey, put up or shut up.
calm your tits.
me: ap makes better movements
You: yeah but let’s smash it onto a floor to prove it
Me: ok?

We're talking about "better." There can't be a "better" without a direct comparison. Better than what?
that’s not a test of determining which is better. That’s a test of who is stupid enough to drop their watch 20 feet in hopes of proving a stranger on the internet wrong.

mind you you’re the one who made the claimof the 20 foot drop. I suggested you prove it.

And falling back to claims of stupidity is the last resort of a man who's run out of arguments.
I’d rather make the claim than to be stupid enough to drop my watch 20 feet

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.
now it’s “maybe” a post or two ago you were certain they would go with the crash test.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
agreed, Rolex is not the greatest ever. But to be fair, i do not know which is.
Agreed! It’s all subjective. A lot of it depends on personal experiences, seeing movements up close, handling watches, customer service, etc... so many factors.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,811 Posts
that’s not a test of determining which is better. That’s a test of who is stupid enough to drop their watch 20 feet in hopes of proving a stranger on the internet wrong.
So you don't have an AP RO to drop from the roof?

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
Agreed! It’s all subjective. A lot of it depends on personal experiences, seeing movements up close, handling watches, customer service, etc... so many factors.
the greatest watch ever should be able to transcend all subjectivity and must clearly be superior in all facets.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
the greatest watch ever should be able to transcend all subjectivity and must clearly be superior in all facets.
Now too sound too much of a cornball. But I’d say the greatest watch is whatever it is to you.
To some it may be a g shock or hell even a quartz.

341 - 360 of 728 Posts