WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
The over exposure doesnt bother alot of us guys that are into watches but for the new owner that gets his first sticker shock, they expect it to be super exclusive and probably will be crushed every one and their dentist is wearing one.:-d Rolex is certainly selling its exclusivity image, especially to new potential buyers so I am sure it has is a driving factor. That doesnt take away from it as a user and diver watch.

That's true, and why when I do get a Rolex it will be an Explorer II

But it will be a while before that happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I’m contemplating what will be my 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] expensive and life-time watch (the other two being my SMP GMT and POC 9300). I buy all my watches new and do not intend on selling any of them. All of them going to my 2 sons when they are old enough (3 year old and a 3 month old) and have achieved adequate success in their lives (work, marriage, etc.). So I take this watch purchase pretty seriously since I’ll have to live with it for a long time.

I’m currently debating between this Submariner No Date, Skyfall AT, 41.5mm Opaline Silver AT (modified with the captain’ watch hands), 8500 DeVille, Speedy Sandwich, 9300 Speedy, and even a used 2500c PO LM LE since it’s such a stunning watch. I like something that is versatile and can either be worn with a bracelet or nato or leather strap. All of these work that way. There is just so much to choose from! It’s been fun browsing WUS for the past few years on this.

Dear Forum, The Sub is a watch I want but as many times as I go try it on I leave it in the store, there's nothing there at all, I just don't feel it…
Muddy – You know, that’s a bit of my problem. I love the Sub’s diving heritage and I’m a sucker for wanting to be James Bond (very effective marketing for both Rolex and Omega). I like it when I try it, but I’m taken back by the price tag. Compared to my SMP, it feels very much equivalent in quality and feels like it should be $5,000 not $7,500. And I’m not really a fan of walking around with the “Rolex” name.

The SS Sub may be too pedestrian for you. Rolex sickness really takes hold with precious metal. Perhaps try on a TT or 18k or other models. The SS Sub is a gateway Rolex.
LOL, I Like it! Gateway WIS drug of choice!

As good as the SS Sub is, it is way over exposed and more common than most any other watch except maybe a GShock. I know this bothers many considering how much you pay for one these days, and for the price, one expects a little more exclusivity.
Here in downtown San Francisco, the watch you wear might have very little in common with your income level. People here also tend to be less flashy. Speaking of watch spotting, I see as many SMP’s as I see Subs. And quite a few 2500 PO’s. Lots of Tags, Longines, etc.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The Sub is a classic, like the Speedmaster. It will never be a "bad" choice. I agree with the OP's statement about the lugs though. Why oh why did they go with those big squares. Looks like a Helson, haha.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Get the Sub, it's awesome. It's a timeless icon. It will look great in 20-30 years when your son receives it. When I had a PO 8500 and started looking at the SubC I didn't quite liked the reflective ceramic on the bezel, now it's my favorite part of the watch.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Welcome, Larry! You'll find that many members on this Omega forum own Rolexes as well. I'm not among them yet because I'm chasing a 5513. And I'm poor.
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that if somebody is truly into wristwatches, they'll like anything from a hundred dollar Seiko 5 to a twenty-thousand dollar Patek-Philippe Calatrava.
Nice to be here! I have a decent sized watch collection which includes fairly reasonably priced watches, including a nice $120 Orient Mako and $300 Seiko SKX173, both with in house automatic movements that I still love to wear. There are of course watch people that will only own watches over $3-5K, or only mechanical watches, or only watches with in house movements. My collection is pretty varied, and not limited by those things.

As my watch tastes mature I've become more of a fan of automatics, because I love the way they could make these tiny mechanical machines that perform the time telling function so well, without having to change batteries or wind them (or at least not often). When I grew up I remember owning a Timex that I would wind up every day, and you connect with a watch that way, so I also admire manual winders.

In addition to my Seamaster Planet Ocean and Seamaster Pro Chrono or older Rolex Sub, I really enjoy my Hamilton Harrison Ford Conservation Chrono and Hamilton Jazzmaster GMT which I wear a lot (in the $1K-$2K range). I have a Victorinox SS Dive Master 500, Luminox 1842 SS Field Watch, and TAG Classic which I still appreciate (in the $500-$1000 range). I even have five Citizen Eco-Drives (in the $135 - $400 range) that I don't wear so much these days, but they seem to be very good watches. If you're going to get a quartz watch then solar power makes a lot of sense to me.

The Sub is a classic, like the Speedmaster. It will never be a "bad" choice. I agree with the OP's statement about the lugs though. Why oh why did they go with those big squares. Looks like a Helson, haha.
I also really hate what they've done to the case and lugs of the newer Submariners. Why couldn't they save that "big shouldered" muscled look for the DEEPSEA? But I have to say that I've never been a big fan of the sloping/curved crown guards of the Seamaster Pro, so I prefer the shape of the Speedmaster Pro or Planet Ocean watches more.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I was also one that condemned Rolex for the maxi cases, but I have to say I have been converted. In pictures the fat lugs make it look awkward but once it's on the wrist it's actually quite nice and gives the whole watch a chunkiness without moving it past the traditional 40mm size.

Another advantage I can think of is the fact that with more metal to work with, there is more leeway in polishing the case without obviously thinning out the lugs and crown guards. No chamfering to worry about also helps I think.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Where's the sin? If you like a Sub, buy a Sub! In many ways it's better than the "Omega wants to be Rolex PO" :-x

(it's a joke people, lighten up)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you try the GMT Master? I'm also on a Rolex "hunt", my first "luxury" watch is an orange PO 2500, so I'm trying to stay away from the SubC.

The first Rolex I had been thinking about buying for a while now is the Milgauss, and it can go with cargo pants as well as a suit. However, it is rather plain on the complications front, no date, just time with the cool lightning bolt seconds hand. I probably would've got the green crytal/black dial by now, if the blue one wasn't intro'd this year. The reason I was drawn to the Milgauss is its heritage, as a science geek, the story behind is pretty cool.

I looked at other Rolex models and landed on the GMT Master and Explorer II as possibilities as well. The local AD said he will call me when gets in the blue dial Milgauss, so I will have an opportunity to try on all of them soon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Walked into my local AD and couldn't resist trying on a 114060 Submariner ceramic no-date!

Loved the new bracelet, micro-adjustment is amazing and its crazy that every $2000+ watch doesn't come with this feature. Beautiful classic dial, and am a fan of the Mercedes hands and maxi dial. Did not totally like how "shinny" the non-AR coated crystal and bezel reflected light. What do you guys think? Too similar to my SMP GMT?
Congrats! Not easy to just roll into an AD and get one of these.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Aaaaaaand another one. Pretty soon there'll be more revived threads from 5+ years ago than current ones.

Although, this thread does show how things have changed over the last 5 years or so. Can you imagine walking into an AD, buying a ROLEX ss sports watch, and walking out with it on your wrist? What a concept!

René

·
Registered
730 Posts
Aaaaaaand another one. Pretty soon there'll be more revived threads from 5+ years ago than current ones.

Although this thread does show how things have changed over the last 5 years or so. Can you imagine walking into an AD, buying a ROLEX as sports watch, and walking out with it on your wrist? What a concept!

René
indeed! what a concept.
I think people are really paying attention to those "additional reading" threads at the bottom. I suppose that is positive feedback to the Moderators that people are looking at what content they are making available --> necro threads!! :LOL: When the people answer those threads, the Moderators jump on them - why did you revive a necro thread? Errr, ummmm, errr.....it was part of the additional reading.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Ahh, I miss the 'old days' when you could walk into an AD......and buy a Sub!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
2014 is not that long ago. It's actually nice that one doesn't have to go to the wayback machine, but that instead the forum and the threads are still around.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yup, other than your SMP being a diving watch, the Rolex is a different animal.
It looks good on you and if you have the Rolex bug, you won't be happy without one.
If you can’t turn the bezel, in the wet, wearing cold water gloves, it isn’t really a dive watch!!!

The two are very different beasts. They look, wear and feel very differently. There’s nothing wrong with owning both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You’ll never go wrong with a sub - have had many watches for years but always had a stable sub throughout - go for it and enjoy

21 - 40 of 40 Posts