1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
18,182 Posts
How arcane!! This movement shows there are more than a few ways to skin a cat. (That is an expression meaning something can be done in many ways - no slight to cats intended!)

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Very interesting piece and thanks for posting it. I guess it was just as hard to transition back from tonneau to round as it was to go the other way in the 1920s.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
But is it not a quite clever idea?
A tonneau shaped movement fits in both round and tonneau shaped cases.
A round movement fits only in round cases (- unless really small and expensive)!

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,634 Posts
Lorenz is definitely the man when it comes to German movements.

That movement space must weigh more than the movement! I guess it feels like a very substantial watch.

This kind of tonneau-into-round thing is actually very common these days as the generic small quartz movements from the like of Miyota, Seiko-Epson, Ronda etc are all tonneau-shaped. Mostly they're held in place by a big chunk of plastic, but the best Citizen dress-watches still use brass. A slightly different example is my son's Luch Pokemon watch which has the old 1930s-designed rectangular 1801.1 in a round case, held in place by a steel dust-cover that clips firmly over the movement, which fits into a rectangular slot in the plastic caseback.

Dentistry? Weird.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lorenz is definitely the man when it comes to German movements.

That movement space must weigh more than the movement! I guess it feels like a very substantial watch.
Yes it is fairly heavy - but not ridiculously so. It gains a lot of time - so it joins the queue of watches I have which need to be serviced:-d. I like it - but its a shame its a brandless example. The dial is perfect.

BTW - I am going on holiday to take a 4 week tour of China soon. So after this Thursday morning (13th November) I won't be able to respond to anything for a long time.

I dare say I won't get much opportunity, but I'd love to pick up an old Bovet or similar while I'm there.b-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts