WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Just received the new Forstner Contemporary Flat Link bracelet for my Speedmaster FOIS so just wanted to share quick thoughts and comparison. I have the previous version so thought it might be of interest.

First, both of these bracelets are great and well worth the price. I haven’t seen anything come close to Forstner for the Speedy.

The new Contemporary seems well worth the extra 35usd IF you want a more modern version. The previous version works perfectly well with its pressed clasp and (I believe) solid links if you want a more vintage, rattly but still solid feel.

The thicker links on the contemporary bring the overall mounted watch to a more balanced look and weight. The thicker milled clasp isn’t too bulky and operates very smooth. By far the best I’ve seen on after market clasps.

The build quality, ease of sizing makes it a winner and, IMO the longer links make for a more refined look. Compared the heft with my 39mm Explorer and this contemporary version makes my FOIS feel even more premium and Ed White’ish.

Both are great options, but I feel (personal preference) that the contemporary version fits the modern interpretation better and makes for a more cohesive watch.

I’m a bracelet guy, so really appreciate all the work Forstner seems to put in these bracelets. Like they said, it’s an out of the box stunner and feels and looks great. Highly recommend it and well worth the price!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks for sharing, looking good!

Does it still have the elastic parts like the old flat link?
I don’t know if I should order a new contemporary or just the clasp of the new one which fits the old one I have
I think I will order just the clasp and fit it to US1450 (hopefully fits)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing, looking good!

Does it still have the elastic parts like the old flat link?
I don’t know if I should order a new contemporary or just the clasp of the new one which fits the old one I have
I think I will order just the clasp and fit it to US1450 (hopefully fits)
It doesn’t have the 3 elastic links

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a good feature on the old one, surprised it is gone now, thanks for the info.
The bracelet and claps being heavier, I suspect the elastic links would constantly bend making it daintier. On this version I prefer less movement. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
42,686 Posts
Looks like a very nice and well made bracelet to me.

Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Just posted my review on another forum and was gonna copy it over to WUS, but you beat me to it! Here's my review:

The handsome little white box with my new Contemporary Flat Link from Forstner arrived today, so I sized it and mounted it to my Speedmaster Professional.

Compared to the original Forstner Flat Link, this new Contemporary version is more robust throughout, including a milled clasp and a single-screw system for the removable links. I have the first-generation Forstner Flat Link, and my opinion is this new version is better.

Ordering was easy and delivery was quick. The bracelet arrived in perfect condition. A screwdriver and springbars were included. You should use the springbars (more on that below), and you should toss the screwdriver in the garbage (it doesn't fill the slot, and you probably have a better one already).

This time of year my wrist is ~6.75", and I ended up removing four links in total, three from the 6:00 side and one from the 12:00 side. With the micro-adjust set in the middle, this results in the slightly loose fit I like with my Speedmaster Pro. Each link is 1/4" in length, and the micro-adjust holes in the clasp look like they're 1/8" apart, so you'll definitely find the perfect fit.

Sizing this bracelet is 1000% easier than the first-generation Forstner Flat Link. Anyone who's done it knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Important: USE THE SPRINGBARS SUPPLIED BY FORSTNER. I tried mounting it with the Omega springbars from my Omega bracelet, and I thought I got slightly tighter tolerances between the case/end-link/bracelet that way, and then when I thought I was all done I noticed that the Omega springbars had not snapped completely into place, and the watch could easily have fallen from my wrist. I immediately reinstalled the endlinks using the springbars provided by Forstner, and they did snap into place properly and the tolerances are all perfectly acceptable with no discernible play in the endlinks. Use the bars provided by Forstner, and double-check that they have snapped into the lugs completely.

I find that this bracelet works much better for me than the first generation Forstner Flat Link did. It's a little thicker and heavier while retaining the vintage Omega vibe, and the clasp is a pretty big upgrade.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just posted my review on another forum and was gonna copy it over to WUS, but you beat me to it! Here's my review:

The handsome little white box with my new Contemporary Flat Link from Forstner arrived today, so I sized it and mounted it to my Speedmaster Professional.

Compared to the original Forstner Flat Link, this new Contemporary version is more robust throughout, including a milled clasp and a single-screw system for the removable links. I have the first-generation Forstner Flat Link, and my opinion is this new version is better.

Ordering was easy and delivery was quick. The bracelet arrived in perfect condition. A screwdriver and springbars were included. You should use the springbars (more on that below), and you should toss the screwdriver in the garbage (it doesn't fill the slot, and you probably have a better one already).

This time of year my wrist is ~6.75", and I ended up removing four links in total, three from the 6:00 side and one from the 12:00 side. With the micro-adjust set in the middle, this results in the slightly loose fit I like with my Speedmaster Pro. Each link is 1/4" in length, and the micro-adjust holes in the clasp look like they're 1/8" apart, so you'll definitely find the perfect fit.

Sizing this bracelet is 1000% easier than the first-generation Forstner Flat Link. Anyone who's done it knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Important: USE THE SPRINGBARS SUPPLIED BY FORSTNER. I tried mounting it with the Omega springbars from my Omega bracelet, and I thought I got slightly tighter tolerances between the case/end-link/bracelet that way, and then when I thought I was all done I noticed that the Omega springbars had not snapped completely into place, and the watch could easily have fallen from my wrist. I immediately reinstalled the endlinks using the springbars provided by Forstner, and they did snap into place properly and the tolerances are all perfectly acceptable with no discernible play in the endlinks. Use the bars provided by Forstner, and double-check that they have snapped into the lugs completely.

I find that this bracelet works much better for me than the first generation Forstner Flat Link did. It's a little thicker and heavier while retaining the vintage Omega vibe, and the clasp is a pretty big upgrade.

Thanks for reading!

Great write up! Should’ve let you make this thread lol!

Does your bracelet have more or less the same amount of flex?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Great write up! Should’ve let you make this thread lol!

Does your bracelet have more or less the same amount of flex?
Thank you. This thread is a solid collaboration :)

Yeah, my new bracelet has about the same amount of flex.

Yesterday I was fortunate to have free time to fiddle with sizing until I got exactly the fit I wanted. This morning I picked up my Speedmaster, slipped it onto my wrist and snapped the clasp shut, and all of that felt every bit as good as a factory bracelet to me. I'm really pleased with this one!

·
Registered
52 Posts
To add my $0.02, after having worn the 2nd gen Forstner Vintage Flat Link for a couple of months, the Contemporary Flat Link felt significantly heftier and it took a few days to get used to the switch.

I'll have to say the Vintage is very supple and light and is the closest thing to wearing a nice leather strap that I've ever experienced in bracelet. The Speedy would often disappear from my wrist weight-wise until I move my arm and hear the light jangle. :) The stretchy link is also a big plus in the comfort department, which allows for a snug fit without being constricting.

In contrast, the Contemporary definitely has heft and presence so you know you're wearing a watch on your wrist but doesn't feel heavy. The Contemporary doesn't have the benefit of the stretchy links but it's not as big of a loss as I thought it would be given the number of available microadjustments.

From a fit and finish standpoint the Vintage is slightly more refined. For lack of a better description, there's a bit of sharpness to the corners of links to the Contemporary that catches your fingertip when you run it against the edge of the bracelet but absolutely no issues on the wrist in normal use. I still give the Contemporary high marks.

Where the Vintage Flat Link falls short (by a fairly big margin) is with the clasp. Yes it's more authentic, but the stamped clasp on the Vintage just feels flimsy when compared to solid milled clasp on the Contemporary.

I think both Vintage and Contemporary are equally great (but in different ways) and it's really a matter of personal taste when it comes to which looks and feels better on the wrist. Right now the Contemporary slightly edges out the Vintage for me.

I'm looking forward to reports from those who install the solid milled clasp on to the Vintage. Maybe it'll be the best of both worlds (for me).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the comparison. The vintage sounds like the bracelet I'm looking for. Hope mine comes in next week.

Can you install the milled clasp on the vintage? Would it look good or would it be to hefty for the delicate vintage bracelet?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the comparison. The vintage sounds like the bracelet I'm looking for. Hope mine comes in next week.

Can you install the milled clasp on the vintage? Would it look good or would it be to hefty for the delicate vintage bracelet?
I believe you can install the new clasp on the old bracelet. To me, it would look and feel unbalanced, especially knowing a sturdier bracelet is available. They’re both great in their current set up though

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

Here's the link to the page on Forstner's site for the clasp, which they say fits their Forstner Flat Link bracelet (I think this is the one in question), Forstner President (1450) bracelet, the Forstner Beads of Rice bracelet, and Forstner Ladder bracelet.

Forstner's Push-Button Milled Clasp

Will the milled clasp be proportionate to the Vintage Flat Link bracelet? We may not know unless you order the clasp and give it a try :)

If you do, and you decide you don't want the clasp, then I'll take it off your hands because I'm probably ordering a 1450 from Forstner, and I'll want the milled clasp for it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
As I noted before, I'm partial to the 1450, but you all have peaked my interest in the new contemporary flat link bracelet.

As to the milled clasp on the lighter 1450 bracelet, if I'm honest, I think the newer clasp looks a bit too heavy on it. I wonder if it would also feel heavy, because the JB1450 bracelet itself is very light.

That's probably the reason why the new contemporary flat link bracelet got heftier links made for it. In other words, the clasp and links look and feel complement each other.

Of course, I could be wrong. I'll have to get the new contemporary flat link version to be sure... :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just ordered the contemporary flat link, and I already have the 1450 so I will be interested to play around with the combinations with the new clasp.

Feels like I have been on and endless pursuit for the perfect Speedy bracelet for the past year haha

1 - 20 of 30 Posts