WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Fortis B-42 chrono just under a year ago and noticed pretty quickly that the hands were not perfectly aligned, both the minute counter and the half hour hand are ever so slightly off center, when I bought it the second was also off center but I returned it to Fortis (via the shop I bought it in - the only Fortis dealer in London) and they corrected it, however they didn't seem to make any adjustment to the other hands. The guy in the shop seemed to think that this was relatively normal and that because it is an automatic it is not uncommon for these hands to be slightly out. Can anyone confirm that this is the case, there is still a year left on the warranty so I suppose I could return it again to have it corrected, if indeed correction is possible?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers,
David

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I bought my Fortis B-42 chrono just under a year ago and noticed pretty quickly that the hands were not perfectly aligned, both the minute counter and the half hour hand are ever so slightly off center, when I bought it the second was also off center but I returned it to Fortis (via the shop I bought it in - the only Fortis dealer in London) and they corrected it, however they didn't seem to make any adjustment to the other hands. The guy in the shop seemed to think that this was relatively normal and that because it is an automatic it is not uncommon for these hands to be slightly out. Can anyone confirm that this is the case, there is still a year left on the warranty so I suppose I could return it again to have it corrected, if indeed correction is possible?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers,
David
I think a picture of the dial straight on would help us understand how misaligned the hands are. We all have different tolerance for these issues. I personally can not tolerate any misalignment on chrono hands. I would return it for warranty correction.

Mark

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yes, they are both sligtly off. This is what I meant by different tolerances to things like this. I would bet that most people wouldn't notice or care about this slight misalignment, but I would, and obviously you do too. I would approach your dealer and speak with them. Depending on who you talk to, they might say "I don't see anything wrong with it" so be prepared to state your case in a polite and clear manner. This is a $2800 retail watch, so it should be perfect. Let us know how you make out.
Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they are both sligtly off. This is what I meant by different tolerances to things like this. I would bet that most people wouldn't notice or care about this slight misalignment, but I would, and obviously you do too. I would approach your dealer and speak with them. Depending on who you talk to, they might say "I don't see anything wrong with it" so be prepared to state your case in a polite and clear manner. This is a $2800 retail watch, so it should be perfect. Let us know how you make out.
Mark
Thanks for the advice Mark, I will take it in during the week, will let you know how it goes. By the way, do you have any idea whether or not adjustment of these hands is difficult I was very surprised that Fortis didn't sort it out the first time it went back.

David

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Thanks for the advice Mark, I will take it in during the week, will let you know how it goes. By the way, do you have any idea whether or not adjustment of these hands is difficult I was very surprised that Fortis didn't sort it out the first time it went back.

David
Well, yes adjustment is difficult. The watch must be opened, and the hands lifted off and reset. Sometimes when hands are lifted, the hole is then too large to re-install, so new hands have to be used. It could be that the hands fall within Fortis' acceptable standard and therefore were not replaced. Curious to hear how things progress from here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, yes adjustment is difficult. The watch must be opened, and the hands lifted off and reset. Sometimes when hands are lifted, the hole is then too large to re-install, so new hands have to be used. It could be that the hands fall within Fortis' acceptable standard and therefore were not replaced. Curious to hear how things progress from here.
The suly shop assistant didn't seem too keen to send it back and reckoned the two month wait to get it back wasn't worth it - I think otherwise and so they agreed to send it back. It will be interesting to see what Fortis do, hopefully they have a good Xmas and are feeling generous to their customers.

Thanks for the advice,
David

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the watch back from Fortis this week. The hands are much better aligned, all are spot on except for the lower half-hour indicator which is fractionally out but only by a very very small amount, anyone I mention it to thinks I am mad!

Thanks for all the advice given, I probably wouldn't have sent it back without it.

David (London, UK)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts