WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a B 42 Cosmonaut Black Titanium with the PVD coating. Of course I have it not even a week and there is a scratch in the bezel. It accidentally and very lightly bumped into another watch in my drawer and resulted in the scratch. It's a tiny scratch but very noticeable. I guess a 10 year old steel Movado is more durable than this watch b/c that one was unmarked. So you can imagine how mad I am that a slight tap like that would scratch a watch that is supposed to survive in space.

Am I wrong to think the watch coating should be more durable than that? I know the PVD is prone to scratching/chipping but in no way did I think it could be this fragile. I was planning on making this my daily wearer, and now I'm afraid to wear the watch at all.

Does anyone know how much a replacement bezel for that would cost parts and labor? I am completely heartbroken that something I bought thinking it would last 10 years hasn't lasted a week without a noticeable flaw.

Watch Analog watch Black Watch accessory Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I understand your pain!
I have an almost ten years old mint and pristine Fortis Fliger/Pilot GMT with the Fortis Pvd treatment and I treat it as if I had a JLC or a AP on my wrist (the few times that I wear it).
I personally wouldn't buy a watch with pvd coating over a few hundred dollars/euro mark, too prone of ruining the initial and intended look of the watch.
As for your watch, I would consider getting the bezel changed by an AD even though it might cost an eye or so.
As for a daily wearer I think you got the answer the hard way!

·
Registered
192 Posts
PVD is hard but Titanium is soft. Never buy a black watch with the thought that it is going to stay like that forever.

Suggest you get familiar with the term "Wabi Sabi" and learn to embrace the wear.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Scratches will come sooner or later. If you can't deal with it, don't wear your watches. ;-)
PVD can be cool and done really well. I have a casual-wear PVD Citizen and I can hardly find even desk-diving micro-scratches on it -- months, now years pass and it still looks as new, to my amazement.
In case of your Fortis, I wonder if it can be something about the case and the bezel treated in a different way, reminds me of one of my Seikos.
If you want to replace parts every time you get a ding or scuff on it, well, it's going to be difficult for you to enjoy the watch.
If you think it's a clear workmanship or manufacturing flaw, return the watch, especially if they made any claims about the durability of their PVD (I haven't checked that, so careful here).
FWIW. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts