WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

81 - 100 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Best things about this upgrade:

1) Much faster load times
2) Dark mode
3) That up arrow that appears to the right when you're scrolling that allows you to jump back to the top of the page
4) Collapsed threads so you don't have to scroll through the entirety of the original post when somebody decides to re-quote it in a reply!
What, you don't like it when someone quotes a comment with 20 pictures to say 'cool' then several others do the same?

The ads are doing my head in. You think you're reading a comment then realise someone else is trying g to sell you crap.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
0n my iPad Pro 12.9” , the whole right side of my screen ( easily 25% of the total screen) is just b.s. ads flashing on and off. Really looks like crap, is terribly annoying and cheapens the whole forum tremendously. I feel I am absolutely forced to either pay the $20 or just give up the forum. Somebody in the know, Bo or one of the Moderators, please give us all a straight answer : does paying the $20 remove all the ads, most of the ads, some of the ads, or a few of the ads? Thank You in Advance for a Timely Response, judg69
I found all the ads are gone @judg69 and find the new format works really well especially on my mobile it's great now

·
Registered
51 Posts
The ads are doing my head in. You think you're reading a comment then realise someone else is trying g to sell you crap.
Just install an adblocker, like ublock origin. Paying to remove such ugly ads is not an option, I hope nobody will pay. If the owners want to monetize the community they should come with something that actually brings value to the community, not the other way around like it is now: I pay to hide crappy ads they are pushing down our troats.

Hosting a community is not rocket science, if they don't get their s**t together I'm pretty sure a new community will emerge somewhere else. I saw it multiple times in the past.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Just turned 'Desktop Site' off on my mobile and it looks better, less cluttered.

Too techno illiterate to even know where to start with an Add Blocker.
I'm old, computers were the size of a house when I was in school.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
To be honest now I am am getting used to the new format I am finding it miles ahead of what it was before, and I went ahead and went premium not because I have lots of money but because it is not that expensive (Tapatalk pro is no better) can't even buy a coffe a month for what it costs, also I appreciate the effort that went into it especially the formatting on desktop and mobile view which is great. And no ads is awesome

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
How long has the current forum platform been in effect? My memory's not that great, but I feel like not much has changed here since maybe 2007 or 2008?
You might have lived in a time capsule then :ROFLMAO:. But seriously, I think almost everything has changed. I have yet to find out on mobile though.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
This forum is a fantastic resource for watch lovers and particularly G Shock fans.

I do not use an ad blocker when viewing. Running this forum costs a fair amount of money and it is only right that the owners should try and recoup their costs and perhaps a bit more, so it encourages them to keep the forum relevant and attractive to keep and attract users. There is a balance though, if they go too far, a la Photobucket, they will achieve the opposite effect.

Not sure why people think that people, who set up and run forums, should do it out of their own pocket. Would you set up a 'free', ad free forum, at a personal cost of many thousands of dollars a year? As far as the ad's go, 40c a week does not seem a lot of money to spend to eliminate them as well as get what other benefits this brings, not sure about these or whether there should be a different experience offered outwith getting rid of the ad's.

Just getting used to the new format, many improvements on the last iteration but some things are not to my taste but I may get used to them as time progresses.

Overall I am feeling positive about the change.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
This is what the mobile web version looks like on my phone, (two screenshots). There's always a small ad bottom centre and in threads I see the odd one in between posts. They don't bother me really, I'm used to the same thing in the likes of Facebook, etc.

Also, I'm only on here just now to see what it looked like, I use the Tapatalk App 99% of the time on my mobile devices.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
Just turned 'Desktop Site' off on my mobile and it looks better, less cluttered.

Too techno illiterate to even know where to start with an Add Blocker.
I'm old, computers were the size of a house when I was in school.
Search engines are your friend in this regard. (really) For ex, seach something like "how to install ad blocker in Firefox" and you will find links to pages that will tell you how to do it.

I'm tech literate but use this technique now and then and it works just fine. ;)

I may be overlooking it but how do tell when a thread has unread posts? And where to click to get to the last unread post?
Yes, you did overlook it. ;) It's on the FAQ page.

Here's what it says:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Complete waste of time. Unless it's a wet T shirt, competition. ;-)
Oh, and I don't mean for the men! :-d
I know why I like your posts. Like me, you have a healthy disdain for all this modern Political Correctness cr*p! LOL :-!
100% right, my friend. :-!
I'm old enough to remember, when having a sense of humour, wasn't a criminal offence. :roll:

You both should let us know when your granddaughters are in a wet-shirt contest so we can all go enjoy it.
Shouldn't a bit of wisdom come with age? You 2 sound like a geriatric Beavis and Butthead...

·
Premium Member
5,621 Posts
The premium membership is totally worth the 20 dollars. No ads and much easier to read
Best $20 I have spent this year, and cheaper than going to Starbucks with Mrs Maddog.......plus, I figure I’ve been on here for many years for free, so why the heck not

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Yes the ads are gone and you can also get rid of the collums on the right of the screen so it's a very clean experience
Dxnnis, if I pay the $20 are all the ads gone? Does that right 25% of my screen stay black. How did you then get rid of the columns? Thanks, judg69

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
Time4Play , which Ad Blocker do yo use?
It's actually called "AdBlock," but I'm using it on MacOS for my MacBook Air. I haven't tried it yet on my iPad, no doubt things will be a little different on iOS. I'll let you know if I get the same or a similar solution to work on the iPad.

Reactions: Dxnnis
81 - 100 of 178 Posts