WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sometimes you run across one that really catches your eye. That's how it happened at the Fossil store a couple days ago. So here it is, the Fossil Aeroflite (AM4512). Dimensions are 44mm case (excluding crown) and 12mm thick with 22mm lugs. I would say it wears true to size, maybe not for those with small wrists. The specific details that attracted me were the VERY easy to read dial, 4'o'clock crown and the nicely brushed finish. Upon closer inspection there are smaller details that really bring it together, a few small surfaces are polish, specifically the edge of the lugs leading up to the polished edge of the bezel. I also like that the crystal has the slightest dome to it. Even the buckle is nicely finished and is branded "Fossil". The watch has a nice weight to it, feels very sturdy. The strap is very soft leather in a nice medium brown color with a very substantial stainless buckle.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. I know some consider Fossil a fashion brand, I'm no watch snob. I only have one other Fossil but it's over 15yrs old and has served me well. The current Fossil lineup has an impressive 11yr warranty so they certainly stand by their product. I wouldn't hesitate to take a look at other Fossil watches in the future.

Edit: Movement is a Miyota 2415

Now it's time for the pics. My photog skills are meager, enjoy them for what they are.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
nice review...fossil IS considered a fashion brand around these parts. don't let that deter you from wearing what you want (i've got a fossil in the collection and stop by the stores from time to time to window shop), that's a nice piece, love the coordinated date wheel...it would look boss on a pilot rivet strap, either black or brown. i'd try it on a nato too, but that's the strap guy in me. wear it in good health!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Wow! Hadn't seen this one before! I love it. Looks like a more affordable and EU-friendly Maratac Pilot

Edit: the PVD version of this one looks killer too! Too bad I can only find it for $135 in my country... :(

PVD:
fossil-am4515-men-s-analogue-aeroflite-date-leather-strap-black-davis-1310-08-DAVIS@24.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Watcher: I like the strap suggestion. I really like the pilot rivet style. I have a few 22mm natos but nothing I think would coordinate well. I'll be traveling next week, maybe I'll use some down time in the evening to do some strap hunting.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
fossil IS considered a fashion brand around these parts. don't let that deter you from wearing what you want
plus_un.gif

If quality is good there is nothing wrong with "fashion" watches... indeed this is rated 100M WR and that is better than most aviation style watches.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think that's a nice looking watch, they got a lot of the details right in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
i don't know if you're in the states, but recommending these affordable pilot straps. great price/value:
WBHQ / Buffalo Texture Leather Strap

The Watcher: I like the strap suggestion. I really like the pilot rivet style. I have a few 22mm natos but nothing I think would coordinate well. I'll be traveling next week, maybe I'll use some down time in the evening to do some strap hunting.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a good take on the flieger theme, especially for a quartz affordable. How is the lume? Can i ask you the price?
I haven't had a chance to really put the lume to the test. Initial impressions are good. I charged up my Pulsar that has Seiko's Lumibrite and compared it to the Fossil. After 45min in the dark the intensity was comparable. I know thats not conclusive but it is an indicator that it probably performs pretty well.

Price was $90.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
i don't know if you're in the states, but recommending these affordable pilot straps. great price/value:
WBHQ / Buffalo Texture Leather Strap
Those prices seem really reasonable. Are they decent quality?

I have a Fossil that I wore every day for 5 or 6 years without missing a beat. I would say the quality is pretty good from them as a brand.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I haven't had a chance to really put the lume to the test. Initial impressions are good. I charged up my Pulsar that has Seiko's Lumibrite and compared it to the Fossil. After 45min in the dark the intensity was comparable. I know thats not conclusive but it is an indicator that it probably performs pretty well.

Price was $90.
Indeed it is. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I wish Seiko would make watches with this design ethos:paired right back & no frills.I wonder what movement the Fossil uses,if it's a Japanese then this is a decent watch with very nice design.

Seiko,please take note..make some military designs with next to no text on the dial.Simple is good.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
My desire for a flieger comes and goes...this has made it come back. Thankfully, I've decided that I am NOT buying any more watches...(they better not have a B dial).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish Seiko would make watches with this design ethos:paired right back & no frills.I wonder what movement the Fossil uses,if it's a Japanese then this is a decent watch with very nice design.

Seiko,please take note..make some military designs with next to no text on the dial.Simple is good.

Thanks!!
I'm tempted to open the case and find out.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Typically I WOULD think of fossil as a fashion brand but that is a pretty classically styled pilot watch. They even got all the dimensions correct (although the proportions are just a touch off). Overall this is one of Fossil's nicest offerings IMHO. The pilot strap posted seems a good value but I think a little higher quality may be befitting to this watch. There are a TON of 22mm pilot straps out there.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Typically I WOULD think of fossil as a fashion brand but that is a pretty classically styled pilot watch. They even got all the dimensions correct (although the proportions are just a touch off). Overall this is one of Fossil's nicest offerings IMHO.
I thought the originals were 55mm? In any case, this looks like a great flieger for those who can pull off a 44mm watch, and the 100m water resistance is great for this class and price.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
So it's a well thought out watch with good water resistancy & a Miyota movement;what's not to like?

Fossil just went up a great deal in my estimation.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts