WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
4,944 Posts
Hm. I am not a huge fan of Eco-Drives, but I am not sure you can compare their movements to Fossil. I admit I am not familiar with Fossil movements, but the battery-less solar Eco-Drives, the radio controlled versions, and the new GPS synch watches are a step above a generic quartz movement.

· Registered
28 Posts
Ill throw my hat in the ring with this one. I have had at least 5 fossil watches that i can remember. When i was in jr. high and high school they were all i could really afford in a stylish watch. They were all of low quality. Cheap bands that pinched and broke, crude movements and functions that didnt work right, finishes that wore quickly, crystals that scratched and broke easily but they did look nice when new and kept decent time. They are what they are...low cost style watches geared at teeny boppers. I dont regret buying them really...they served their purpose. There was no way i could buy a $150 seiko working part time as a pizza driver. I got my first "real" watch when i graduated from H.S and never looked back.

· Registered
56 Posts
On most Chrono Fossils, if you pull the crown out one position and press the "Start" button for the chrono, it will advance the seconds counter one click. Do this until it gets to the "0" mark and push the crown back in. Viola, it now re-centers when you use it. For years, my chrono was off by one second and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I felt like the whole watch was now junk. I found this feature totally by accident one day when I had the crown out setting the time. I promptly did a facepalm and now feel better about the watch, lol.....
This is one of my #1 complaints with people being critical of any watch. You have no idea how many times I have heard people complain that a watch is "broken" or Shoddy" because they don't know how to reset it. The movements used in most fossil watches are Citizen or Seiko movements, so a citizen or seiko could have the same problems.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
I like the decker line (one looks like a speedy pro) and they have an 11 yr warantee, good beater watches, I won't wear the Omega wrenching on the cars...

· Registered
56 Posts
Ill throw my hat in the ring with this one. I have had at least 5 fossil watches that i can remember. When i was in jr. high and high school they were all i could really afford in a stylish watch. They were all of low quality. Cheap bands that pinched and broke, crude movements and functions that didnt work right, finishes that wore quickly, crystals that scratched and broke easily but they did look nice when new and kept decent time. They are what they are...low cost style watches geared at teeny boppers. I dont regret buying them really...they served their purpose. There was no way i could buy a $150 seiko working part time as a pizza driver. I got my first "real" watch when i graduated from H.S and never looked back.
When was this? "There was no way i could buy a $150 seiko working part time as a pizza driver." Most fossils are above the $100 mark. Try buying a $150 fossil and $150 Sekio and you will find that they most likly have the same movement.

· Registered
56 Posts
Fossil makes decent watches. I have owned Seikos, Timexs, Casios and Citizens and I would say my Fossils are as good and in some cases better. The only watch I have ever had die on me was a Timex that was 3 days old!

You will here a ton of people tell you how crappy Fossils are, but they are just blowing smoke. I have a Fossil from 1994 that has a chinese Anologue/digital chronograph movement and it still keeps great time. I don't know of anybody that has a comparable warranty in the same price range.

Here's my take on Fossil:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/foss...vice-more-affordable-then-fashion-571114.html

· Registered
28,388 Posts
If you really can't save up for an Orient or Seiko or Seagull, I suppose you have to buy something; I can't say I would recommend it unless $150 is a price point you can never reach.

· Registered
5,534 Posts
When was this? "There was no way i could buy a $150 seiko working part time as a pizza driver." Most fossils are above the $100 mark. Try buying a $150 fossil and $150 Sekio and you will find that they most likly have the same movement.
if I am not mistaken, Seiko only rarely makes its movements available to other brands. i know that Vostok uses Seiko in its Anchar dive watch, and a Grand Seiko movement was used by a small brand, but I don't know of others.
if a Fossil has a japanese movement, it is more likely to be a Miyota.
but in general, why risk the tears - a Seiko 5 series is a proper mechanical watch from a proper watchmaking company of good quality and at least some of them should tempt you. I would also arther go for a Casio Edifice than a Fossil.

· Registered
281 Posts
On most Chrono Fossils, if you pull the crown out one position and press the "Start" button for the chrono, it will advance the seconds counter one click. Do this until it gets to the "0" mark and push the crown back in. Viola, it now re-centers when you use it. For years, my chrono was off by one second and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I felt like the whole watch was now junk. I found this feature totally by accident one day when I had the crown out setting the time. I promptly did a facepalm and now feel better about the watch, lol. It's going on 12 years old and in that time, Fossil has replaced my movement once and the crystal once. They also swapped out my battery. All of this and I paid only 18 bucks (movement was under warranty, the 18$ covered shipping, new battery and new crystal). I'd say they make good watches for the money provided you don't pay more than 100 bucks. I was impressed with their customer service, so I'd rate them pretty highly for a fashion brand....
I thought everyone here knew about this. Even if you fiddle with the [start/stop] and [reset] buttons, you will find out how to manually set the dials to zero. How else would one operate the chronograph functions of a watch?

Anyway, I have a Fossil watch that I bought because I liked the way it looked. I saw a picture of it and it looked old and beat up, it had a blue dial face and a button/crown that was on the right diagonal end rather than on the right. I don't have a camera with me right now, but here's a picture of it:

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

This picture is misleading, as it doesn't have that yellowish tint, it is a straight scuffed metallic finish. The wrist band is nothing to write home about; it began to crease and crack on the very first day I wore it. Still, I really dig the look of it. The watch was 100 bucks - way too much for it, but I'd definitely buy it again because I really dig the look of it. Also, Fossil makes a buncha other designer/fashion brands, so, technically, I own a lot of Fossil watches in the $200-400 range (i.e., Burberry, Emporio Armani, S+arck). Are they quality? Hm. I'm wearing a Emporio Armani watch right now and it seems to get scratches on the case if you breathe on it wrong. I've had to take it to a watch repairman to buff out the scratches every so often.

· Registered
175 Posts
I would say if you bought it second hand the quality of the leather is unpredictable (you never know how long it's been in storage with the previous owner and whether it was worn or just in absolute neglect). Maybe the Fossils of the past were poorer quality and they've moved on from that, as far as I know having worked with Fossil Group for 3 years now there isn't a single watch that isn't at least stainless steel.

· Registered
1 Posts
On most Chrono Fossils, if you pull the crown out one position and press the "Start" button for the chrono, it will advance the seconds counter one click. Do this until it gets to the "0" mark and push the crown back in. Viola, it now re-centers when you use it.
Wow!!! Thank you. I've had an Adidas watch from Fossil where the second hand was on the 54 minute mark since I got it. Now it's re-centered.

I now have 5 Fossils. Well 3 of them, a Relic and an adidas. Got my first 10 years ago for $60 because that seemed to be the price of every fossil watch in their store. Only complaint about that one is that its pretty scuffed up anymore. Don't wear that one anymore because I just have better watches I like more than that one. But the four others are in my regular rotation. I do agree with what some people have said here, their bracelets don't feel sturdy, but you do get what you pay for. I can't speak much on their movements because I myself am new to the watch collecting world, but nothing I can complain about.
My Relic is one of my two work watches because I picked it up on clearance for $19 supposedly down from $90. So it's a nice disposable watch, but I like it a lot for that purpose. Also wear my orange and green Fossil with a silicone wrapped bracelet on a very regular basis.
My biggest issue is that as I'm getting more into watches, I have a hard time parting with close to $100 for a watch at their outlet store, when I could pay a little more for more reputable watch. But some style they have are undeniable cool.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.