WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

You get them as gifts or as a novelty (the mets) but who makes them, are they like fashion house watches under contract, are thier movements consistant (same sourcing) or are they like invicta that will apparently use anything...

I'd like to know more about the fossils, for what they are they are pretty good watches, I wear the black and rose decker chrono pretty often.

· Registered
56 Posts
Mostly Citizen and Seiko. The decker uses a seiko VD57 chronograph movement. So far I have seen in my fossils:

Seiko VD53, VD54, VD57 (all chronographs)

Citizen/Miyota OS10, OS20 (chronographs) and 2315 (3 hand with date)

· Registered
489 Posts
You get them as gifts or as a novelty (the mets) but who makes them, are they like fashion house watches under contract, are thier movements consistant (same sourcing) or are they like invicta that will apparently use anything...
Invicta troll.

I would actually place Invicta's quality above Fossil. Fossil produces pure quartz fashion watches. Chinese specials.

For quartz, you can't really screw much up though.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Invicta troll.

I would actually place Invicta's quality above Fossil. Fossil produces pure quartz fashion watches. Chinese specials.

For quartz, you can't really screw much up though.
Invitca comment is they use ALOT of different stuff its almost as if they are more distributer than maker,.. I am comparing consitancy of sourcing, not inherent value. I am sure a mechanical invecta would be nicer just from what i see in read is they range from utter crap to pretty nice... where fossil is a consistant value (relatively cheap but decent)

· Registered
6,939 Posts
The fact many branded company approach fossil to make fashion watch for them proves they make decent watch. I will say for the money paid for the watch is reasonable.

· Registered
794 Posts
The fact many branded company approach fossil to make fashion watch for them proves they make decent watch. I will say for the money paid for the watch is reasonable.
I disagree. My son paid $125 for a quartz Fossil that isn't worth $40 in my opinion. First, it's quartz (no added cost for a mechanical movement). Second, no sapphire glass. Third, the bracelet is junk. If you want to tell me that their quartz movement is better than the other brands in that price range, have at it. My opinion is that in these types of watches, quartz is quartz. So what's left is the case/bracelet quality. My $65 Invicta 8926 is a much better value than that overpriced quartz watch he paid $125 for.

But kudos to them for being consistent with their dime a dozen quartz movements.

· Registered
794 Posts
Invitca comment is they use ALOT of different stuff its almost as if they are more distributer than maker,.. I am comparing consitancy of sourcing, not inherent value. I am sure a mechanical invecta would be nicer just from what i see in read is they range from utter crap to pretty nice... where fossil is a consistant value (relatively cheap but decent)

The $100 quartz watches Fossil makes are banged out in China. How that makes them better than Invicta is beyond me.

BTW, I owned a Fossil back in the late 90's that I loved. It was one of the watches where you pushed a button and it lit up. Indiglo is what I believed it was called.

· Registered
2,871 Posts
I read elsewhere that the company falls under the same business umbrella as Timex and Nautica family of companies. If that is indeed true (and I have no real reason to doubt that)
At the outlets, Timex, Nautica and Guess are sold at the Time Factory outlet but Fossil has it's own store. I really don't know. I love Fossils. I don't know how many I have but I would guess about 10.

· Registered
1,336 Posts
I disagree. My son paid $125 for a quartz Fossil that isn't worth $40 in my opinion. First, it's quartz (no added cost for a mechanical movement). Second, no sapphire glass. Third, the bracelet is junk. If you want to tell me that their quartz movement is better than the other brands in that price range, have at it. My opinion is that in these types of watches, quartz is quartz. So what's left is the case/bracelet quality. My $65 Invicta 8926 is a much better value than that overpriced quartz watch he paid $125 for.

But kudos to them for being consistent with their dime a dozen quartz movements.
If you think paying $125 for a quartz Fossil is depressing, maybe you'll feel better knowing I paid $90 for this:

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

Spoke Metal

Imagine the shock when i opened it up to regulate it!

· Registered
794 Posts
Look. I like some of the Fossil watches. I've owned one. But the OP's comment was that they were supior because of the fact that they are consistent in the quartz movements that they use as opposed to Invicta who uses several different movements. To me, in the $50 - $150 price range, quartz movements are all going to perform the same. I don't care what brand the watch is. Maybe I'm wrong. The Fossil watch my son bought is constructed like a $40 Timex. Maybe that the original design is worth $85 to you. It isn't to me.

Let's agree to disagree :) I think the 8926 with a mechanical NH35A movement is a far better value (I paid $65) than a $125 Fossil quartz watch. And even thought it is a homage, I think it looks ten times better.

-Ed-
sent from my mobile device

· Registered
3,465 Posts
Look. I like some of the Fossil watches. I've owned one. But the OP's comment was that they were supior because of the fact that they are consistent in the quartz movements that they use as opposed to Invicta who uses several different movements. To me, in the $50 - $150 price range, quartz movements are all going to perform the same. I don't care what brand the watch is. Maybe I'm wrong. The Fossil watch my son bought is constructed like a $40 Timex. Maybe that the original design is worth $85 to you. It isn't to me.

Let's agree to disagree :) I think the 8926 with a mechanical NH35A movement is a far better value (I paid $65) than a $125 Fossil quartz watch. And even thought it is a homage, I think it looks ten times better.

-Ed-
sent from my mobile device
Have you searched previous threads where Invicta is discussed? Makes Fossil look superior.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.