WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In August I posted a thread on WUS about an Omega Seamaster 300 (166.024 / caliber 565) I found in my junk drawer. Several members responded to my request for advice... so I thought you might find this info interesting.

I sent the watch to Nesbitts in Washington (state), based on recommendations I received on the forum. My instructions to them (also based on the advice I received here) was to do nothing cosmetically to the watch... just service the internals - which had some water damage.

Nesbitts quoted me $600 for the repairs, including a 20% surcharge included because there was some rust evident. I authorized that repair.

They were also going to replace the crystal, and the crown (the crown they said is a replaceable part, and must be replaced in order to re-seal the watch properly), and return the original parts to me.

Turns out that on further inspection the water damage was worse than Nesbitts thought it was though. Jan called me back and advised me that their suggestion was that they forward the watch to New Jersey, because Nesbitt's replacing individual parts (more extensive than was originally thought, apparently) would be too expensive. She said New Jersy might want to replace the entire caliber...

I asked her to go ahead and send it to New Jersey with the same instructions I'd provided to her... nothing cosmetic - just internals - but also with a $600 limitation on repairs to match their original quote. I also asked her to note that I did NOT want the caliber replaced... that if they couldn't repair it for the $600 that Nesbitt's quoted, I'd probably just have them send it back to me as is.

Jan (Nesbitts) said that New Jersey will now coordinate with Nesbitts on this... since Nesbitts are the ones who sent the watch to them. Although this is getting a little complicated (and expensive)... it's still interesting.

Nesbitts has been very nice and professional on this, I believe they're trying to do their best for me. No complaints there.

So I now have a $1 treasure (yard sale) that may end up costing me $700 to fix, if it can be fixed at all.

And it still keeps good time!?

You guys have an expensive hobby.

Thought those of you who responded to my original thread might find the update interesting. Also had several PM's with offers for the watch - so maybe all this will give you some additional info to ponder regarding future offers you make to others...

In any case, my son Mike has no interest in the watch.

- Mac

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would have tried to find a watch on ebay with a pristine cal. 565 and handed it to Nesbit to strip of parts as needed replacing everything needed save the part with the movement number.

·
Registered
512 Posts
A little advice, as someone thats had many a watch restored. :)

When the watchmaker made an estimate of the repairs, it was a best faith estimate. When they found more rust than they anticipated the thing to do would have been to go ahead and let them replace the parts of the original movement.

This might have cost more but the movement would have been left the original movement.

When we saddle our watchmaker to their original estimate we limit their options, especially when something that is difficult to quantify like rust is found.

Watch collecting is sadly an expensive hobby and in the end your seamaster has much more value as an original restored piece than one with a swapped out movement.

I've been in this EXACT same situation with Nesbits before. I trusted them to use their best judgement, and replace the extra parts. We even waited for several months for a gear.

The results were FANTASTIC, and well worth the wait and the additional expense

·
Registered
425 Posts
... in the end your seamaster has much more value as an original restored piece than one with a swapped out movement.
This is true is your interest in restoring this watch is to sell it in the future. Form your previous story, I took that you wanted to restore this family treasure to wear and enjoy. If so, I would agree with your decision to potentially replace the movement without altering the cosmetics of this beautifully aged watch.

Just an opinion....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but Bienne would have restored that watch to like new for less than $700, shipping included.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but Bienne would have restored that watch to like new for less than $700, shipping included.
Actually Nesbits, the Omega factory, and any other Omega authorized service center charges the repair prices listed on the Omega web site.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Actually Nesbits, the Omega factory, and any other Omega authorized service center charges the repair prices listed on the Omega web site.
Are you sure? I got a quote for $731 (plus tax) for an overhaul of a Speedie from Omega NY. According to omega.ch, Bienne would charge CHF 550 ($540) for the same piece of work.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
All the Omega Service Centers charge out of the same rate book depending on caliber.

So if

Are you sure? I got a quote for $731 (plus tax) for an overhaul of a Speedie from Omega NY. According to omega.ch, Bienne would charge CHF 550 ($540) for the same piece of work.
New York was charging for additional parts NOT included in the basic overhaul.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I had thought I would give it to my son, maybe as a present when he gets out of school... but we talked about it a little, and he just told me honestly he has no interest in having a watch like that. He's just a real down to earth practical kind of kid... guess I could have worse problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great suggestion. Wish I'd though of that on Friday when talking to Nesbitts. They would agree to canabilize another caliber to fix mine...? I'm looking over the items in ebay with 565's now... but I suspect my watch is already on the way to New Jersey.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A little advice, as someone thats had many a watch restored. :)

When the watchmaker made an estimate of the repairs....

--------------

Thank you for the advice... you are no doubt correct. I understand this isn't like working with the corner garage on car repairs, especially when dealing with reputable outfits like Nesbitts.

In my defense though, I did have a long talk with Jan when I first sent them the watch... and it was her suggestion that she send it to New Jersey, not mine. I'm not sure what the estimate from Nesbitts would of been to replace all the needed parts ... but apparently it was going to be prohibitive... she didn't even seem to want to go there with me. So... I agreed to let her send it to New Jersey.

I really don't know what I'm doing in this area... obviously. But it's still interesting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe MSNWatche's suggestion (getting another 565 cabliber from another piece) might be a compromise? I never really asked Jan... but I got the impression she (Nesbitts) didn't even know how much it was going to cost to replace all the necessary parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts