WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Last fall I had my quartz watch stolen. It was nothing special but was a MSc graduation gift from my girlfriend. This spring I used this forum extensively to learn about watches and to find out what I wanted to replace the stolen one.

I realised I needed a dive watch as I wanted something I could wear all the time, also for swimming, flyfishing, travelling, etc. I'm not a watch collector and never will be, but am a gearhead and wanted quality. I got intriqued by automatic mechanical watches, so wasn't going to settle for a quartz. I have a quite small wrist, so didn't want anything much bigger than 42 mm. Having a budget of about $500, these choices really narrowed down the options. I love the look of the Omega Seamaster PO, but it is much too expensive...

While searching and asking questions in here I came across the Bernhardt Globemaster. After much debating with myself I ended up ordering it. I had it sent to a friend in the US, where I picked it up 2½ months later when visiting (Talk about patience!!!)

I have now worn it for about 3 weeks and am extremely happy with it. It is big and chunky but not at all too large for my wrist. It's classic looking, no loud colours and actully more classy/dressy than I was expecting. I'm going to stick with the bracelet. The fourth GMT hand is extremely cool and as I travel quite a bit it really comes in handy. I haven't had the heart to get it wet yet, but will get there soon. I haven't tested the accuracy of the ETA 2836 movement yet. I like the oversized, engraved crown. Only thing I'm completely happy with is that the bezel is held up a fraction of a millimeter above the casing so that if you tap it with a finger it clicks against the casing. Is that normal? I have nothing to compare with except my friend's expensive Rolex, which doesn't do it. The rotation of the bezel is nice and tight, 60 clicks one-way. The lume isn't overly powerfull but it's not bad either.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the help and throw up a few quick photos as the ones on Fred's page don't really do the watch justice.

Cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hey Ian

welcome to WUSb-)

nice Globemaster, congrats.

we get many new members here looking to spend vaguely around your budget, thats a great choice|>

Ian

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Welcome to the Bernhardt club! Fred definitely turns out some nice products, and he's awesome to deal with.

I'm patiently waiting for the new Globemasters to come out.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Well that is a nice looking watch. Nice Pickup and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Good looking diver! I really like how the yellow accents make it pop! It really sets it apart from others. Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Excellent watch. Hanging around these forums paid off with a well educated choice with some exclusivity to it. Very nice.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Congrats on the watch and welcome to the forum! :-!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I really like the Dial/Hand combo. Nice bracelet as well. Fred really puts out a great product at a super price-point.

Congrats and wear in good health!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Congratulations on your new watch. For the money, I don't think you can do much better then GlobeMaster.

Mine is not the only watch I have, but it is, without a doubt, one of my favorites. Wearing it today, in fact.

Enjoy. I hope it serves you long and faithfully.

Here is mine. The colors are a bit "louder" then your version though;-), but it feels right at home on the sunny Bermuda beach.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts