WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found the following two watches in my Dad's stuff. I'm guessing that they were a his/hers set. I'm also speculating that they weren't touched for at least 20 years. However, I picked them up and they both sprang to life. The only thing I can't seem to get work is the date on the seamaster. The day of the week moved with the hands, but even in the 3rd crown position the day just stays as is (ironically on the 9 which is today, so maybe this is a SUPER SMART watch, but not holding my breath on that).

As for the Constellation, I don't see the chronometer function.

Both watches obviously saw a lot of wear in their day.

I'm not a big fan of the bands, but then I saw that they were each inscribed, which I found to be interesting. Very cool to me (who works with patents) that one showed its patent (Patent US2689450 - Expansible bracelet - Google Patents).

Here are some pics. I'd love some thoughts on any value or if I should have them taken in and serviced.

View attachment DSC01786.jpg View attachment DSC01790.jpg DSC01792.JPG View attachment DSC01805.jpg View attachment DSC01807.jpg DSC01809.JPG

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
'His and hers.' LOL. Which is which? (FWIW, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of what the masterminds at Omega have branded the Ladies version of a particular AT which, at 38.5mm, will be massive when compared to these two. Ah, times have changed.)

These are marvelous and decidedly his and his watches from the 60s and house a couple of Omegas finest movements ever. The Constellation has a 551. You're looking for 'chronograph' features/functions, though it is a 'chronometer' which means it was extremely accurate (google it).

The Cosmic (lovely frosted dial, btw) houses a caliber 752, their finest day-date, and identical to their 751 (also a chronometer), just not sent out for testing to certify accuracy while the watch was in five different positions. On this movement, you advance the day by pulling the crown out to the second position and turning. The date is 'quick-set' and should pop forward each time you pull the crown out to the third position. Instructions here: An English, French, German & Spanish Omega Owners Manual for the 752 movement

I'd say that rather than 'his/hers' these were actually his 'dress/sport' watches, and an admirable pair in their time.

As bad of condition as they may appear to be in, you're lucky that they haven't been over-polished and the dials re-done. Everything still looks original (see the little Omega logo etched in the center of the crystal over the pin on the Constellation?) And all eight stars are still well defined on the medallion on its back (not so on one that's been overly polished to remove scratches; many would prefer the stars with scratches than a case that has been too aggressively polished to remove scratches)

You can google 'omega cosmic 166.036' (its reference #) to find out more about it. 'omega constellation 551' for the other.

If you intend to wear them, you'll want to have them serviced to avoid damage to movements in which the oils have most likely dried.

Those are aftermarket bracelets. Both will look better on nice straps.

Very nice pieces. Thanks for sharing these.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback and direction! I tried following the instructions, but it looks like it will be the 9th of the month in perpetuity. When I try to pull it into position 3, the time jumps a little bit but the day of the week stays as is. Not wanting to break it, I'm going to leave it as is now. Otherwise, it appears to be keeping accurate time. I wound it manually yesterday a little bit (very difficult to do) and it "ran out" pretty quickly at first. I left it on my watch winder over night, and I woke up to the correct time and day of the week.

There is a local guy here who fixes watches, so I'm thinking of going to him and getting an estimate for servicing and a new bracelet.

Curious as to how much you think it should cost, and what would you put into a watch like this?

On a somewhat separate note, there was another old watch in there. A small Andre Bouchard that is running great. (Maybe this is the "hers" watch?). I don't really see many threads on watchuseek on this brand. Any thoughts?

View attachment DSC01781.jpg View attachment DSC01783.jpg

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
Just to clarify, only the date should move when crown pulled to third position. The day advances by turning crown in second position. No watch should be 'very difficult' to wind, so you're wise to not do that. A service should run between $350 and $550. Your local guy should be able to take a look at it and tell you whether parts need to be replaced and if he has access to them before he does the work. If you don't intend to wear them yourself, you may be better off just selling them 'as is.' Check ebay and vintage Omega sites for comps. I can't tell whether the Connie is ss or gold cap, frankly. I don't know anything about the Bouchard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts